Traded Mathieu Joseph traded to Blues

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Joseph is 9 years younger, a much better skater, much better PKer (Perron doesn't even PK) and OUTSCORED Perron at even strength last season (33 vs 30 pts) in 4 less games. Perron is more skilled overall and has good hockey sense so he's going to be better on the PP but did we need Kubalik as a PP weapon last season? Same thing again

It's not our lack of speed or skill that is hurting us. It's the teams lack of winning culture and leadership.

We for real have as a group the biggest losers in the league.

If Perron can help with the team mentality that it is worth the overpay.

Reactions: LiseL

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Joseph had some nice rushed short handed, that’s where the blowing by defenders thing comes from likely. He didn’t do much of that 5 on 5.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
For a guy with game breaking speed, he only paced at just over 10 goals per 82 the last 3 seasons. Doesn't seem like he was breaking through and scoring many on his own with that speed, even though it was a nice element for the team to have. No reason to tear the guy down, but Amadio is a fine replacement production wise while scoring at a much higher rate 17+ per 82 over the same 3 seasons, so as far as on ice, it's a non factor. Worth the swap to contribute to changing the room imo.

Reactions: gab6511 and LiseL

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
You think Chychrun is a replacement level player???? I've seen stupid takes on here before but this is a contender for dumbest take of the year.
Chychrun was a complicated player. He brought offense from the blueline that we could miss this year is Chabot and Sanderson don't step up in his place, but Chychrun was a flat out liability defensively, quite possibly one of the worst top 4 dmen in the league when it comes to defending. It will be very easy to replace his contributions to that part of the game.

I also feel his unwillingness to play physical was a horrible example for the rest of the team. It's much easier to buy into playing hard when everyone is committed. You can't have a guy out there floating around refusing to use his size. In many ways, I feel like getting rid of Chychrun will be addition by subtraction, but there's a good chance we'll miss the offense he brought.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
OK let's do the math: Senators have $3.6 million in cap right now. Buyout Hamonic save $733K keep Joseph add back $2.95 million . Sign Tarasenko instead of Perron add another $750 K.

So after those moves Senators available cap is less than $700 thousand and they only have 5 defensemen on the roster and 12 forwards.
Thats the issue with asking someone to engage in hypotheticals. Getting into the weeds of it based on what ifs isn't really going to get anywhere. Amadio's cap is a bit too rich for my liking, he should've come in at 500k less, in that case you can have Kleven up, or maybe been able to resign Branstrom at 900k. Or have Ostapchuk up instead of Amadio all together, and you'd be able to keep Kelly as well. But again, that's getting into the nitty gritty of it which was not the point.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thats the issue with asking someone to engage in hypotheticals. Getting into the weeds of it based on what ifs isn't really going to get anywhere. Amadio's cap is a bit too rich for my liking, he should've come in at 500k less, in that case you can have Kleven up, or maybe been able to resign Branstrom at 900k. Or have Ostapchuk up instead of Amadio all together, and you'd be able to keep Kelly as well. But again, that's getting into the nitty gritty of it which was not the point.
I don't think signing Brannstrom to 900k was ever an option, it was qualify him or part ways. There's not really a lot of incentive for Brannstrom to stick around at a discount rate.

Reactions: Larionov

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I don't think signing Brannstrom to 900k was ever an option, it was qualify him or part ways. There's not really a lot of incentive for Brannstrom to stick around at a discount rate.
Yep I would imagine he'd like a change of scenery at that point. I'd prefer to have Kleven up instead regardless.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Thats the issue with asking someone to engage in hypotheticals.
WHAT???? You said you would buyout Hamonic keep Joseph and sign Tarasenko instead of Perron. I used the actual buyout and contract amounts to prove to you it didn't make sense as you only had 5 Dman on the roster and no cap room to add anyone. And you call that hypothetical?
You sure as hell can't criticize a GM for not making moves that are impossible to make.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
WHAT???? You said you would buyout Hamonic keep Joseph and sign Tarasenko instead of Perron. I used the actual buyout and contract amounts to prove to you it didn't make sense as you only had 5 Dman on the roster and no cap room to add anyone. And you call that hypothetical?
You sure as hell can't criticize a GM for not making moves that are impossible to make.
Yes, you said what would you do, I would give Amadio 500k less, is that hypothetical realistic? Maybe, or maybe not, I dont know, its a hypothetical but its what I would've preferred if possible. That alone with the Hamonic buyout would make the cap work for Tank and Joseph to be here and bring up Kleven as 6th D. If not, don't sign Amadio, and have Ostapchuk up and keep Kelly instead. What about that is not comprehensible to you? You're asking me to do guess work based on what might be possible, not on what actually has happened.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes, you said what would you do, I would give Amadio 500k less, is that hypothetical realistic? Maybe, or maybe not, I dont know, its a hypothetical but its what I would've preferred if possible. That alone with the Hamonic buyout would make the cap work for Tank and Joseph to be here and bring up Kleven as 6th D. If not, don't sign Amadio at all, and have Ostapchuk up and keep Kelly instead. What about that is not comprehensible to you? You're asking me to do guess work based on what might be possible, and what actually has happened.
I don't think anyone needs to tell you how absurd this statement is. You mean to say you just wouldn't sign him. They didn't just gift him an extra 500k annually for fun.

• Love
Reactions: SENStastic

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yes, you said what would you do, I would give Amadio 500k less, is that hypothetical realistic? Maybe, or maybe not, I dont know, its a hypothetical but its what I would've preferred if possible. That alone with the Hamonic buyout would make the cap work for Tank and Joseph to be here and bring up Kleven as 6th D. If not, don't sign Amadio, and have Ostapchuk up and keep Kelly instead. What about that is not comprehensible to you? You're asking me to do guess work based on what might be possible, not on what actually has happened.
Should maybe start a Could you do better than Staios thread.. We had a couple for his predecessor.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Scored at a rate of almost 2 to 1 to Joseph the last 3 years while pulling in 300k less. Seems like if he's not worth it, Joseph DEFINITELY isn't worth his.
Career year of 27pt LOL, and a year older. Just cause Joseph might be overpaid by a bit, doesn't justify we turn around and do a bigger overpayment to Amadio. Two wrongs don't make a right all the sudden. But keep on making excuses for his mistakes. Jesus do you love to argue.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Career year of 27pt LOL, and a year older. Just cause Joseph might be overpaid by a bit, doesn't justify we turn around and do a bigger overpayment to Amadio. Two wrongs don't make a right all the sudden. But keep on making excuses for his mistakes.
Amadio is a much better player than Joseph

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Did you guys see that goal? Perron was too slow to keep up with the play, Amadio lost his man and Jensen got outmuscled. That's when you need a Vezina save. Ullmark is such a sieve. Staois ruined this team.

Reactions: BigRig4

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Oct 29th. St. Louis is in Ottawa. Who's going to cheer on Joseph?
giphy (14).gif

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Did you guys see that goal? Perron was too slow to keep up with the play, Amadio lost his man and Jensen got outmuscled. That's when you need a Vezina save. Ullmark is such a sieve. Staois ruined this team.
All started because of a Gregor turnover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad