Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He looks amazing with the puck, makes excellent passes. Still uncertain in the Dzone aside from the PK. Loses coverage on off mad rushes and isn’t hard enough in the corners. Seems to be good on the PK with that giant paddle. A little more time in the AHL but should play here when there are injuries and be full time next year.

But is he worse than Dougie as a rookie defensively? It’s clear he makes some bad choices on the rush, but is he gonna learn how to improve better against AHL or NHL speed? I’m not smart enough to know, but I don’t think it’s obvious going down would be better either. Just have Gryz take Shattenkirks spot in the lineup until someone gets hurt.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Lohrei can essentially be the 7th D without sitting in the 9th floor suite. It’s just a matter of whether they can get him to the game on time if he needs to play. It helps the East travel distances aren’t as far.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
But is he worse than Dougie as a rookie defensively? It’s clear he makes some bad choices on the rush, but is he gonna learn how to improve better against AHL or NHL speed? I’m not smart enough to know, but I don’t think it’s obvious going down would be better either. Just have Gryz take Shattenkirks spot in the lineup until someone gets hurt.
I don't think any of us know what Dougie was defensively as a rookie, as he was consistently stapled to Chara - late career Chara, not end career. Dougie's never been an eraser in his own zone, so I think we can just suppose that as long as Lohrei isn't a complete gong show defensively, it isn't all that far off.

The cool thing is Lohrei getting a minute and a half on the PK. And he's been pretty bad ass in that limited sample so far. Julien would have swallowed his own tongue before calling for Dougie to go over the boards on the PK.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
He’s going to go down no doubt in my mind. Even with other young players and rookies he only sat Lohrei nearly last 10 minutes of the game. Monty must think he has a ways to go if he thinks Mitchell and Wotherspoon are more reliable than he is on defense nevermind when they get healthy back there

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
He’s going to go down no doubt in my mind. Even with other young players and rookies he only sat Lohrei nearly last 10 minutes of the game. Monty must think he has a ways to go if he thinks Mitchell and Wotherspoon are more reliable than he is on defense nevermind when they get healthy back there
I think it's more a waiver issue at this point. Not a skill one.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Steen and Wotherspoon too. Cap stuff where get a couple days’ savings.

Hopefully, that's why.

To echo Evan Marinofsky and Conor Ryan, those eager to jettison Gryz and Forbort might take a breath and calm down.

Proven time and again, you can never, ever have too many defensman, especially with injuries late in season.

The B's D depth will be a cornerstone of any regular season or playoff success.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lysell has had a good week and may eventually earn a look with the big club. Yes the Bruins need scoring on the wing, but I'm not interested in subtracting D for that.

Lysell should be the first option. If he continues to make strides, his low trade stock will rise as well.

Last edited:

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I think it's more a waiver issue at this point. Not a skill one.
Sorry it wasn’t about that really. That transaction probably is just saving on cap, just saying if he is already hiding Lohrei when they were down 3 defenseman and showed more confidence in Mitchell and Wotherspoon then that shows you what Monty thinks of his defense. I just think people will be disappointed when he is sent back, but with how Monty doesn’t trust him it’s a really good bet he is sent back.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Sorry it wasn’t about that really. That transaction probably is just saving on cap, just saying if he is already hiding Lohrei when they were down 3 defenseman and showed more confidence in Mitchell and Wotherspoon then that shows you what Monty thinks of his defense. I just think people will be disappointed when he is sent back, but with how Monty doesn’t trust him it’s a really good bet he is sent back.
Or it was a teaching moment in one game for a rookie. One or the other.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Or it was a teaching moment in one game for a rookie. One or the other.
Or it’s the second game he has done that and the fact there were two other rookies who didn’t get sat tells you what his faith is in Lohrei’s defense at the moment. You don’t learn just from watching. This year was supposed to be a year they let the kids play, now they start hot and you can see they are right back to wins over development. He won’t learn a damn thing never being put in tough situations.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Or it’s the second game he has done that and the fact there were two other rookies who didn’t get sat tells you what his faith is in Lohrei’s defense at the moment. You don’t learn just from watching. This year was supposed to be a year they let the kids play, now they start hot and you can see they are right back to wins over development. He won’t learn a damn thing never being put in tough situations.
Right. Like Poitras and Beecher. Monty just burying the kids everywhere.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Right. Like Poitras and Beecher. Monty just burying the kids everywhere.
The fact - did he or did he not sit Lohrei? Yes muplitle games. Was there other young guys in the game, yes three of them. Was he the only rookie that sat yes. So Monty doesn’t trust him defensively yet, and obviously worried it would cost them a game. I just think it’s wrong to not put him in situations to see how he reacts. It’s really hard to simulate pressure in practice as you do a game. He is the coach and that’s what he wants to do just not a fan of coddling too much. Hes got to learn sometime and a couple games in Nov isn’t going to sink the team.

In the end my main point is that people thinking we need to trade someone to keep him in lineup is not watching what Monty is doing with him, he obviously thinks he needs more time to learn defense so don’t be disappointed when he gets sent back to the baby Bs.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Today’s Globe:

McAvoy lauds new partner Lohrei​

Prior to the game Montgomery described Charlie McAvoy as a horse on the blue line and it proved to be a prophetic description as the returning defenseman played a team-high 26:44.

Playing in his first game in 11 days because of his well-documented suspension, McAvoy assisted on both Boston goals while playing mostly with a new partner, rookie Mason Lohrei.

“I thought we were good. I thought our breakouts were good. Hell, we scored on the first shift,” said McAvoy. “... He’s fun to play with. We’re only going to get better. His sky’s the limit. His ceiling is extremely high, and I think he’s going to be an exceptional hockey player. He already is very good. So, we’re going to keep getting better. The times I have to play with him, I want to do everything I can to make his life easy.”

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Great to see he's got the McAvoy seal of approval. Lohrei has made a few mistakes, but I have no problem with those when it's from a rookie skilled player. He just needs time to figure out what he can and can't get away with at this level. Having McAvoy as a partner as a safety net of sorts is ideal for a developing kid with a high ceiling.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Great to see he's got the McAvoy seal of approval. Lohrei has made a few mistakes, but I have no problem with those when it's from a rookie skilled player. He just needs time to figure out what he can and can't get away with at this level. Having McAvoy as a partner as a safety net of sorts is ideal for a developing kid with a high ceiling.
Couldn’t have said better - I like the pairing

For those who didn’t get my PM: I sit right behind net first and third period (grateful and TY mom & dad) so I’m able to watch the defense and Lohrei & McAvoy preseason looked amazing

I keep this pairing

I also keep Grzelcyk as my 5th guy because one injury Forbort or Shattenkirk in top 4

Grzelcyk can play there and trading him for a 2 is silly when only 22% of second round picks make 246 games

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Couldn’t have said better - I like the pairing

For those who didn’t get my PM: I sit right behind net first and third period (grateful and TY mom & dad) so I’m able to watch the defense and Lohrei & McAvoy preseason looked amazing

I keep this pairing

I also keep Grzelcyk as my 5th guy because one injury Forbort or Shattenkirk in top 4

Grzelcyk can play there and trading him for a 2 is silly when only 22% of second round picks make 246 games

That 22% of second rounders looks like it doesn't apply to Sweeney.

Carlo, Lauzon, Lindgren from 2015 and 2016 have already or will hit that 246 number.
In those years they were 75% successful on 2nd rounders. JFK didn't pan out.

Studnicka looks like a typical 2nd rounder but has played one full season.

Lohrei looks like a top 4 guy skill wise (skating, puck handling, passing) and IQ wise and being 6:05 sure doesn't hurt. Hey if he doesn't pan out on D switch him
to Center...lol.

Poitras looks like a top 6 center.

So that track record by Sweeney in the 2nd round is pretty damn good. That's
5\7 hit rate, unless you think Poitras and Lohrei are questionable still.

Not advocating moving #48 right now, but if Lohrei shows he doesn't drag #73 down, I'm not dismissing trading #48 for a 2nd at the deadline and open up
cap space.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Hamilton was 19 years old his rookie year. He didn't play after the Toronto series.
Lohrei will be 23 in two months, so I don't think you can compare them as rookies.
Lohrei mentally being older should be a bit more mature. I hope he stays up.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
That 22% of second rounders looks like it doesn't apply to Sweeney.

Carlo, Lauzon, Lindgren from 2015 and 2016 have already or will hit that 246 number.
In those years they were 75% successful on 2nd rounders. JFK didn't pan out.

Studnicka looks like a typical 2nd rounder but has played one full season.

Lohrei looks like a top 4 guy skill wise (skating, puck handling, passing) and IQ wise and being 6:05 sure doesn't hurt. Hey if he doesn't pan out on D switch him
to Center...lol.

Poitras looks like a top 6 center.

So, that track record by Sweeney in the 2nd round is pretty damn good. That's
5\7 hit rate, unless you think Poitras and Lohrei are questionable still.

Not advocating moving #48 right now, but if Lohrei shows he doesn't drag #73 down, I'm not dismissing trading #48 for a 2nd at the deadline and open up
cap space.

Sounds like Sweeney and his scouting staff have been really good at drafting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad