Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
That 22% of second rounders looks like it doesn't apply to Sweeney.

Carlo, Lauzon, Lindgren from 2015 and 2016 have already or will hit that 246 number.
In those years they were 75% successful on 2nd rounders. JFK didn't pan out.

Studnicka looks like a typical 2nd rounder but has played one full season.

Lohrei looks like a top 4 guy skill wise (skating, puck handling, passing) and IQ wise and being 6:05 sure doesn't hurt. Hey if he doesn't pan out on D switch him
to Center...lol.

Poitras looks like a top 6 center.

So that track record by Sweeney in the 2nd round is pretty damn good. That's
5\7 hit rate, unless you think Poitras and Lohrei are questionable still.

Not advocating moving #48 right now, but if Lohrei shows he doesn't drag #73 down, I'm not dismissing trading #48 for a 2nd at the deadline and open up
cap space.
If the Bruins trade Grzelcyk it needs to be to improve current roster. If Sweeney trades Grzelcyk for a draft pick you are one injury away from Mitchell when you could have had Grzelcyk

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the Bruins trade Grzelcyk it needs to be to improve current roster. If Sweeney trades Grzelcyk for a draft pick you are one injury away from Mitchell when you could have had Grzelcyk

Agreed, I can't see Gryz going without them bringing in a solid 6/7 at the same time, but someone less expensive.

Reactions: DKH

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
On a night where the Bruins were celebrating the "Big Bad Bruins" legacy, how about the move that Mason pulled off in the 1st period against Montreal just inside the blue line. He then attacked the net and almost made a great play. Shades of Bobby Orr with the spinorama, anyone catch that? He played a solid game. Perfect partner for Charlie!

Have to be insane to take him out of the lineup. Kid is legit.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
So why again is he in Providence, besides saving a precious (aka cheap) ELC year?

With the recent D play and what you've gotten all year out of Forbort/Shattenkirk/Gryz, there's no reason not to be playing Lohrei up with the big club.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So why again is he in Providence, besides saving a precious (aka cheap) ELC year?

With the recent D play and what you've gotten all year out of Forbort/Shattenkirk/Gryz, there's no reason not to be playing Lohrei up with the big club.

They don't save an ELC year. He uses up year one of his ELC this year regardless of where he plays.

I get the arguments for Lohrei to stay. I get the arguments for Lohrei to go down. Personally I believe Providence is a cesspool at the moment, and I despise the coach, and question the commitment to developing players.

Personally, i think Lohrei will learn more, and develop more quickly in Boston playing against real NHL talent, than he will in Providence. All I know is if he is in Providence, he should play the most minutes, carry the #1 PP, and play on the PK. If he is there to develop and show his skills, he darn well better be playing more than any other D, and in all situations

False Start

May 8, 2018
They don't save an ELC year. He uses up year one of his ELC this year regardless of where he plays.

I get the arguments for Lohrei to stay. I get the arguments for Lohrei to go down. Personally I believe Providence is a cesspool at the moment, and I despise the coach, and question the commitment to developing players.

Personally, i think Lohrei will learn more, and develop more quickly in Boston playing against real NHL talent, than he will in Providence. All I know is if he is in Providence, he should play the most minutes, carry the #1 PP, and play on the PK. If he is there to develop and show his skills, he darn well better be playing more than any other D, and in all situations

What's better for development?

Boston: Monty will bench him for Forbort as soon as the game gets tight.
Providence: #1 minutes

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

There is also something to be said for getting your reps and habit building done in less pressurized environment. It's why many good NHL defenseman did their time in the AHL first. Those that don't are exceptions, not the norm.

Reactions: weaponomega

False Start

May 8, 2018
There is also something to be said for getting your reps and habit building done in less pressurized environment. It's why many good NHL defenseman did their time in the AHL first. Those that don't are exceptions, not the norm.

On the other hand growing pains is also fine. But I wouldn't blame the coach for prioritizing NHL wins.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
On the other hand growing pains is also fine. But I wouldn't blame the coach for prioritizing NHL wins.

I agree, Carlo and McAvoy went that route and it can work. The Bruins don't NEED Lohrei up from a roster standpoint right now, though. He can grow in Providence and be better his next callup- the next injury to the left side (not if, when lol) and he's back getting good minutes.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

BUT you are making the assumption he will go to Providence and get #1 minutes, and will not get benched when the game is tight or he is not playing well. Honestly right now I have zero confidence that the priority for Providence is developing prospects for the NHL. I have no confidence that Mougenel will let Lohrei play through his mistakes, and give him the #1 minutes in all situations time.

That's the conundrum

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
The Bruins are playing Gryz (in the 1st pair) over Mason Lohrei. Why? Gryz was horrible last night. Coughed the puck up numerous times trying to be too cute.

I don't like 5'9" 1st pairing defenseman, unless you are Quinn Hughes. Gryz is not. He is a 3rd pair defenseman. He is not playing the correct role on the 1st pair with Charlie. I don't hate Gryz, I just think he is being put into the incorrect role. Monty is as stubborn as Clode was.

Mason was not in the lineup for the last 2 debacles. It's not on him.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I would think the plan is to immerse Lohrei with playing time in Providence and iron out his warts as best they can till after Christmas, then he'll be recalled for good,hopefully...

I wanted him to stay up but what really works against him is he gets zero PP time in Boston so for the time being 20+ minutes in all situations is the correct move, my opinion of course

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The Bruins are playing Gryz (in the 1st pair) over Mason Lohrei. Why? Gryz was horrible last night. Coughed the puck up numerous times trying to be too cute.

I don't like 5'9" 1st pairing defenseman, unless you are Quinn Hughes. Gryz is not. He is a 3rd pair defenseman. He is not playing the correct role on the 1st pair with Charlie. I don't hate Gryz, I just think he is being put into the incorrect role. Monty is as stubborn as Clode was.

Mason was not in the lineup for the last 2 debacles. It's not on him.
I dont think Monty is stubborn with Gryz, but generally the only other option in the top 4 has been Forbort who is definitely not a top 4 dman.

I personally think the right move is move Forbort for cap reasons + whatever small asset to acquire a more physical RD. Shift Shatty to 7th D.

From there I run Lohrei with McAvoy and Gryz goes to the 3rd pairing with the new guy. Let Lohrei work through things playing with a guy like Mac or even Carlo, similar to Mac when he broke in. It allows Gryz to make an impact 5 on 5 where he excels with a guy who could likely benefit from his style

Reactions: HustleB

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
If only he was hard. I’d love if he was out there crushing guys. He is so big. I like to tools. But I feel like u cannot teach players to hit violently. Some do and some don’t.
He just said it himself, he's working on playing hard, playing sound defense, so that he can get the puck and "do the fun stuff". He's a forward playing D, which is fine, but we can't ever expect him to be Chris Pronger. Just let him be the best version of himself and it'll be a good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
If only he was hard. I’d love if he was out there crushing guys. He is so big. I like to tools. But I feel like u cannot teach players to hit violently. Some do and some don’t.
Pushing guys around more and slow decision making were my two biggest critiques of Lohrei in his first stint with the Bs. Once he did try to get physical he got penalized for it since his stick rode up high on a play in which he was mixing it up in front of the crease.

My take is that the jury is still out in that dept. New to professional hockey, coming in and trying to pick up on a gajillion things while playing in the top 4, not wanting to make mistakes and rock the boat. As he gets more comfortable he will be able to focus more on the physical aspect of the game.

The decision making aspect will come with experience, I have no doubt. The physical aspect we shall see. My bet is he will play noticeably more physical in his next stint than during the first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad