At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Nice goal kid.

I definitely try going with this while Gryz is out and Mac/Forbort get back-
Lindholm-Mac
Lohrei-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk

Not to rain on the parade but there were some high danger chances on Lohreis side of the ice tonight. Doesn’t help he was paired with Mitchell..
He would really thrive riding shotgun with someone who can help clean up the blemishes so he can focus on the offensive part.

Reactions: HustleB

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Nice goal kid.

I definitely try going with this while Gryz is out and Mac/Forbort get back-
Lindholm-Mac
Lohrei-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk

Not to rain on the parade but there were some high danger chances on Lohreis side of the ice tonight. Doesn’t help he was paired with Mitchell..
He would really thrive riding shotgun with someone who can help clean up the blemishes so he can focus on the offensive part.
Well said. I love this kid.

He has some blemishes on the defensive side of things. But his offensive instincts are first rate. He's going to be running the power play. Seems like he is still filling out his lean frame.

The defensive game can be learned and coached. Too bad he cannot play with Lindholm, as they are both left handed. He's a keeper!

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Lohrei has been playing great but still think he should get some AHL time, mostly because I don't think they're in a position to deal Gryz right now. He is going to be Mac-lite in my opinion. Bruins have a very strong top 4 for a while once hes (and management) ready for the full-time transition.

Reactions: JCRO and Alicat

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Lohrei has been playing great but still think he should get some AHL time, mostly because I don't think they're in a position to deal Gryz right now. He is going to be Mac-lite in my opinion. Bruins have a very strong top 4 for a while once hes (and management) ready for the full-time transition.
Agree 100 percent.

I want to see him get the looks while Gryz is out but theres still plenty to work on in his own end and he will get monster minutes in the A to do so.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
He looks amazing with the puck, makes excellent passes. Still uncertain in the Dzone aside from the PK. Loses coverage on off mad rushes and isn’t hard enough in the corners. Seems to be good on the PK with that giant paddle. A little more time in the AHL but should play here when there are injuries and be full time next year.

Reactions: HustleB

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
He looks amazing with the puck, makes excellent passes. Still uncertain in the Dzone aside from the PK. Loses coverage on off mad rushes and isn’t hard enough in the corners. Seems to be good on the PK with that giant paddle. A little more time in the AHL but should play here when there are injuries and be full time next year.
His ability to make perfect passes while in traffic or while getting hit, is wild. I can't wait until he matures. Also like Poitas, though different, he wins a heck of a lot more puck battles then I expect for a young player. Like you and others mention, I think he needs to master the D-Zone responsibilities but the toolset is a lot closer then I expected. He is clearly a lot stronger then he looks.

Reactions: veganbruin

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agree 100 percent.

I want to see him get the looks while Gryz is out but theres still plenty to work on in his own end and he will get monster minutes in the A to do so.

Not sure i agree. Let's see if he is able to hold this level. Honestly, I wasn't happy with the role he had in Providence, and he is getting challenged here, and playing PK minutes, etc. And he is a better PK than Gryz already. I just really want to see him on the PP here

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Once Lohrei figures out what he can and can't get away with, he's going to be a very good top 4 and maybe even top pairing dman in this league. It's all there but the experience.

He reminds me a lot of K'Andre Miller - both big, athletic kids who started off as forwards before switching to defense later in their formative years.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
2 games in- he's going to be a good one. But seriously, two games in and let's trade Gryz!?!? Not that Sweeney will do that, though. If Lohrei continues to improve (either here or in Providence), maybe at the TDL Gryz goes in a deal for a forward. Till then, I guess the order of return when everyone gets healthy will be : Forbort sends Wotherspoon back, McAvoy sends Mitchell back, Gryz sends Lohrei back. Mitchell comes back as 7th D (I don't see it with the guy, but Monty seems to like him).

Last edited:
Reactions: JCRO

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
2 games in- he's going to be a good one. But seriously, two games in and let's trade Gryz!?!? Not that Sweeney will do that, though. If Lohrei continues to improve (either here or in Providence), maybe at the TDL Gryz goes in a deal for a forward. Till then, I guess the order of return when everyone gets healthy will be : Forbort sends Wotherspoon back, McAvoy sends Mitchell back, Gryz sends Lohrei back. Mitchell stays up as 7th D (I don't see it with the guy, but Monty seems to like him).
Shiny new toy syndrome.

After 2 games it is easy to see why he was sent to Providence as one of the last cuts.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I prefer to look at it as after 3 games it is easy to see why Sweeney was supposedly actively working to phones looking to make a deal so that they could keep him in Boston to start the year
Both can be true but ultimately he is better off playing in Providence getting top minutes and working on his tworking on how to angle guys off the puck and being more positionally aware.

Reactions: JOKER 192

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
This is the 4th year in a row Grzlecyk’s ice time has dropped. He’s getting phased out and there’s zero reason Lohrei can’t take the 17 minutes a game Gryz played last year and learn on the job. His offensive instincts are already miles ahead and he’s already better and defending around the net and along the boards.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Both can be true but ultimately he is better off playing in Providence getting top minutes and working on his tworking on how to angle guys off the puck and being more positionally aware.
That is assuming he's getting the proper coaching in Providence. A few people have mentioned that Providence has been a bit of a dumpster fire this year.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I think ultimately it's too soon to tell whether he should go back yet. In game 1 he looked great against a good team with cup aspirations. In the next 2 games he didn't look as good and made a couple of bad rookie mistakes. The main difference for me is that in game 1 his d partner was Carlo, whereas in the next 2 he's been splitting time between Shattenkirk and Mitchell.

We have one more game without McAvoy, and Forbort could be back whenever since he's day to day. Once both are back and our d core stabilizes I think we'll get a better picture of where Lohrei really is. Will he looks like he did in game 1 more consistently? If so he stays. Will he look like he has the past 2 even with a better d partner again? He should go back.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I think ultimately it's too soon to tell whether he should go back yet. In game 1 he looked great against a good team with cup aspirations. In the next 2 games he didn't look as good and made a couple of bad rookie mistakes. The main difference for me is that in game 1 his d partner was Carlo, whereas in the next 2 he's been splitting time between Shattenkirk and Mitchell.

We have one more game without McAvoy, and Forbort could be back whenever since he's day to day. Once both are back and our d core stabilizes I think we'll get a better picture of where Lohrei really is. Will he looks like he did in game 1 more consistently? If so he stays. Will he look like he has the past 2 even with a better d partner again? He should go back.
100% agree. I want to see how he rebounds Thursday and then see how he does once Mac is back on Saturday and a few more games after that.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I agree that to trade Gryz for Lohrei to stay after 2 games is a bit much, but this is also a guy who is an upcoming UFA and is not some untouchable core player.

If Lohrei can continue to show something positive these few games, I think it's obvious from his skillset that he's going to make Gryz expendable and I absolutely think they should try to get something in return for him. The earlier you trade him the more (potential) cap relief you gain for the deadline as well, opening up more options for them.

It hurts to trade an important player when your team is in contention, but you have to balance the future with the present, and unless they 100% plan on Gryz returning next year, then I don't see how you don't kick the tires on a trade.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I agree that to trade Gryz for Lohrei to stay after 2 games is a bit much, but this is also a guy who is an upcoming UFA and is not some untouchable core player.

If Lohrei can continue to show something positive these few games, I think it's obvious from his skillset that he's going to make Gryz expendable and I absolutely think they should try to get something in return for him. The earlier you trade him the more (potential) cap relief you gain for the deadline as well, opening up more options for them.

It hurts to trade an important player when your team is in contention, but you have to balance the future with the present, and unless they 100% plan on Gryz returning next year, then I don't see how you don't kick the tires on a trade.
On the flip side, I don't know how you can watch Wotherspoon and Mitchell and think that you'd be comfortable with them drawing in should a significant injury befall one of the top 6. There's no reason to voluntarily give up that defenseman depth so early in the year (and I understand the cap space accrual argument). This league doesn't make trades until mid-January so it's not like there is easily a corresponding move to be made should you trade Grizz now. Why not play 7D and rotate through to get a day off here and there for certain guys?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
On the flip side, I don't know how you can watch Wotherspoon and Mitchell and think that you'd be comfortable with them drawing in should a significant injury befall one of the top 6. There's no reason to voluntarily give up that defenseman depth so early in the year (and I understand the cap space accrual argument). This league doesn't make trades until mid-January so it's not like there is easily a corresponding move to be made should you trade Grizz now. Why not play 7D and rotate through to get a day off here and there for certain guys?
I agree I dont want either of those guys as the 7th D either, that being said there's no reason that the Bruins can't both trade Gryz for an asset like a 2nd or 3rd and also upgrade their 7th dmen in another deal for less than the return they get for Gryz, or even have a 7th dman included in a deal for him.

They certainly can keep all these guys and rotate Gryz/Lohrei/Forbort/Shatty out as they feel the need to based on opponents, who is healthy, and who is playing well. This is the likely route, but I do hope they try to recoup some draft capital even if this team continues exceeding expectations this season.

I also question what kind of return Gryz gets, it's probably not worth it to trade him for anything less than a 3rd rounder.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I agree I dont want either of those guys as the 7th D either, that being said there's no reason that the Bruins can't both trade Gryz for an asset like a 2nd or 3rd and also upgrade their 7th dmen in another deal for less than the return they get for Gryz, or even have a 7th dman included in a deal for him.

They certainly can keep all these guys and rotate Gryz/Lohrei/Forbort/Shatty out as they feel the need to based on opponents, who is healthy, and who is playing well. This is the likely route, but I do hope they try to recoup some draft capital even if this team continues exceeding expectations this season.
Right. But all that would need to happen at the deadline. Those kind of deals really don't happen anywhere close to this early in the season. At the deadline? All options are in play.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Right. But all that would need to happen at the deadline. Those kind of deals really don't happen anywhere close to this early in the season. At the deadline? All options are in play.
I think there should be options now IF they wanted to move him early. Anaheim is looking better than expected and could use a Vet on their D, Buffalo/Detroit are struggling to keep the puck out, are close to competing, and have the cap space...just to name a few options.

But I'll agree, it is unlikely anything happens before February and ultimately we'll see how Lohrei looks these next couple of weeks anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad