Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I agree that trading Gryz does make some sense since he's a UFA, but I don't think Lohrei, and Gryz have similar play styles.

Gryz is a stay at home defenseman with good puck moving ability, while Lohrei is an offensive rover more like McAvoy, that's why Gryz is always defending odd man rushes when Mac gets caught up ice.

If you put Lohrei, and Mac together, Mac would have to switch to a more responsible defensive game which would hurt the offense he could provide. With Gryz, he can be a rover.

Orlov was suppossed to a very good defenseman, but was a disaster defensively, especially with McAvoy. It's one of the reasons the Bruins lost.

Gryz has also proven that he's quite good at PKing this season now that he's been given a chance, so that makes Forbert's one strength less important.

I probably wouldn't look to trade any of the D-men unless there is a future young #1 center available at the trade deadline since injuries are bound to happen.

I'd go

Gryz-Mac
Lohrei -Carlo
Lindholm-Shattenkick
Forbert

Give them all about equal minutes 5-on-5.
Gryz-Mac, and Lindholm-Carlo on PK, and Mac, Lohrei, Lindholme, and Shattenkirk with PP time
I am not dropping Lindholm to bottom 6 , remember last year at this time he was being mentioned in the Norris trophy talk, when MacAvoy was out . I like Gryz he is a good player until the games get heavy, sorry he needs to be moved.....I am not a fan of Shattenkirk, thankfully he is short money.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I am not dropping Lindholm to bottom 6 , remember last year at this time he was being mentioned in the Norris trophy talk, when MacAvoy was out . I like Gryz he is a good player until the games get heavy, sorry he needs to be moved.....I am not a fan of Shattenkirk, thankfully he is short money.
He doesn’t have to be moved. Would you rather Grizz as 7D (it should be Forbort but worst case) or Mitchell/Wotherspoon?

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Everyone talking like he is a fifteen year veteran, rather than the new kid. I’ve seen many fizzle and fade easily. Hope not. But it’s very EARLY!! It won’t surprise me if after two weeks of subbing for Gryz he looks good, but not great, etc. And management will send him back down again. He will be part of everything long term.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I agree that trading Gryz does make some sense since he's a UFA, but I don't think Lohrei, and Gryz have similar play styles.

Gryz is a stay at home defenseman with good puck moving ability, while Lohrei is an offensive rover more like McAvoy, that's why Gryz is always defending odd man rushes when Mac gets caught up ice.

If you put Lohrei, and Mac together, Mac would have to switch to a more responsible defensive game which would hurt the offense he could provide. With Gryz, he can be a rover.

Orlov was suppossed to a very good defenseman, but was a disaster defensively, especially with McAvoy. It's one of the reasons the Bruins lost.

Gryz has also proven that he's quite good at PKing this season now that he's been given a chance, so that makes Forbert's one strength less important.

I probably wouldn't look to trade any of the D-men unless there is a future young #1 center available at the trade deadline since injuries are bound to happen.

I'd go

Gryz-Mac
Lohrei -Carlo
Lindholm-Shattenkick
Forbert

Give them all about equal minutes 5-on-5.
Gryz-Mac, and Lindholm-Carlo on PK, and Mac, Lohrei, Lindholme, and Shattenkirk with PP time
I don't really agree on the play styles being different. I think both Gryz and Lohrei are puck movers. Gryz roves in the offensive zone as much as McAvoy. Some of the best hockey I've ever seen was when Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, Gryz and McAvoy were on the ice together. No positions, everyone weaving and roaming, guys interchanging... it was impossible to defend. I think Lohrei likes to rush/carry more and I think Lohrei is a more natural scorer. He's also 6'5 so he's like Super Gryz in my mind. Everything you like about Gryz but with Carlo's body.

I also don't think they're big believers in Grzelcyk's pk ability. Honestly, I don't think Monty is a fan of Gryz, period. Gryz plays less under Monty than under Cassidy, Monty scratched him in the playoffs. I think Monty prefers Forbort, for the role that Forbort plays, which is why I worry that if they keep Lohrei and Gryz, Grzelcyk will be the one sitting and hurting his trade value.

I think if they did keep everyone, and you could convince Monty to sit Forbort, the 1st and 3rd LD would be flipped from your lineup...

Lindholm-Mac
Lohrei -Carlo
Gryz-Shattenkick

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA
I didn't drop Lindholm to bottom 6. Those are just pairings. With PK, and PP time he'd still get 20 minutes a night.

I do remember the regular season. I also remember the last 2 playoffs where Lindholm was not good in either. I remember him getting obliterated by, who was it, Svechnikov? Do people want him traded because he can't handle a heavy game?

Gryz is fine in the playoffs. It's not his fault he's been on the ice for some of his teammates' biggest defensive gaffs I've ever seen. He's made a couple puck handling gaffs himself, but not any more than any other defenseman tasked with handling the puck under intense forecheck as much as him. And those were because the forecheck was FAST, not heavy.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
So we set aside that Forbort has been terrible in the playoffs?

We can afford to have Grizz/Forbort as 7D. Why weaken the team this year?
I think that IF moving Gryz helps them add a forward (either via cap space or tradable assets) then it would strengthen the team.

If Lohrei is the guy we saw in camp and against Toronto then he's going to play top4 minutes. Ferraro said Monty was absolutely beaming on the bench every time Lohrei made a play on Thursday. He can't wait to feed this kid minutes. We also know he loves Forbort in that 3rd pair, PK, defensive minutes guy. I know you hate that opinion and I don't disagree but he's the coach and he's going to do what he thinks is best.

All that could end up making Gryz a 7th D/insurance policy, and IMO, adding an everyday player at an area of weakness trumps injury depth.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
At $3.687mil cap hit . I would rather have Gryz traded.
Gryz should add a much needed depth forward too. Even upgrading Brown would be nice or having insurance for the big guys we are already down Lucic. Handcuffed bc of cap space.

We are also 9-0-1 we don't need a regular season luxury player like Gryz.

Probably would be doing him a favor if Lohrei breaks out because he can put up points in a different uniform and get himself a large contract this summer. Vs having a reduced role here.

Reactions: hrdpuk

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don't really agree on the play styles being different. I think both Gryz and Lohrei are puck movers. Gryz roves in the offensive zone as much as McAvoy. Some of the best hockey I've ever seen was when Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, Gryz and McAvoy were on the ice together. No positions, everyone weaving and roaming, guys interchanging... it was impossible to defend. I think Lohrei likes to rush/carry more and I think Lohrei is a more natural scorer. He's also 6'5 so he's like Super Gryz in my mind. Everything you like about Gryz but with Carlo's body.

I also don't think they're big believers in Grzelcyk's pk ability. Honestly, I don't think Monty is a fan of Gryz, period. Gryz plays less under Monty than under Cassidy, Monty scratched him in the playoffs. I think Monty prefers Forbort, for the role that Forbort plays, which is why I worry that if they keep Lohrei and Gryz, Grzelcyk will be the one sitting and hurting his trade value.

I think if they did keep everyone, and you could convince Monty to sit Forbort, the 1st and 3rd LD would be flipped from your lineup...

Lindholm-Mac
Lohrei -Carlo
Gryz-Shattenkick
I'm just not a fan of the skillset of those LD, they are all fairly redundant IMO as in they are puck moving D with little physicality. I'm not saying Forbort is the answer, but at least he brings a different mix in...you don't win in this league with a mix of all similar players, which is why defined roles are so important.

If possible, and if Lohrei does prove he belongs over these next few weeks, I would keep all the LD for as long as possible as insurance if he falters and maybe look to move one at the deadline to recoup assets...although doubt they do it if they are top in the division.

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA

Lindholm-Mac
Lohrei -Carlo
Gryz-Shattenkick
Yeah, I only see Gryz sneak down the wall to keep the puck in most of the time, then he'll quickly go back to the point. I think the coaches have encouraged him to get more involved in the offense because they want him to be an offensive defensman, but he naturally is very defensive minded. Always making the safe play, and trying to keep himself between the puck, and his goal.

I agree that, for some reason, Monty likes Forbert more than Gryz. I can't say why. From the games I've watched Gryz is just better. Even on the PK, Gryz seems to prevent far more high quality shots, can intercept cross crease passes better, and is more attentive at tying up players' sticks in front of the goal so they can't tip the puck.
Forbert is big, and can block some shots, but is just too slow to follow the puck when it's moved quickly. If our goalies weren't so good, I don't think Forbert would be so highly regarded on the PK. He was a pylon against Florida last playoffs, and that didn't work out so well for Monty, and the B's. :(

Gryz, and Mac just work so good together, I hate to break them up.

That being said, any player is tradeable for the right return. I'd trade him if a need like #1 center was available.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Lindholm-Mac
Lohrei -Carlo
Gryz-Shattenkick

I wouldn’t discount Forbort-Gryz as the bottom pairing and Shatty sitting a lot.

Reactions: PlayMakers

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Yeah, I only see Gryz sneak down the wall to keep the puck in most of the time, then he'll quickly go back to the point. I think the coaches have encouraged him to get more involved in the offense because they want him to be an offensive defensman, but he naturally is very defensive minded. Always making the safe play, and trying to keep himself between the puck, and his goal.

I agree that, for some reason, Monty likes Forbert more than Gryz. I can't say why. From the games I've watched Gryz is just better. Even on the PK, Gryz seems to prevent far more high quality shots, can intercept cross crease passes better, and is more attentive at tying up players' sticks in front of the goal so they can't tip the puck.
Forbert is big, and can block some shots, but is just too slow to follow the puck when it's moved quickly. If our goalies weren't so good, I don't think Forbert would be so highly regarded on the PK. He was a pylon against Florida last playoffs, and that didn't work out so well for Monty, and the B's. :(

Gryz, and Mac just work so good together, I hate to break them up.

That being said, any player is tradeable for the right return. I'd trade him if a need like #1 center was available.
We did NOT lose to Florida because of Forbort.

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA
I read it as moving Lindholm into the bottom six, which doesn’t make any sense to me
Which is understandable.

He was responding to my defense pairings from an earlier post, but the pairings would all get about even 5-on-5 playing time depending on matchups, and how they were playing that game, so none of them would be a bottom pairing.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So we set aside that Forbort has been terrible in the playoffs?

We can afford to have Grizz/Forbort as 7D. Why weaken the team this year?

We can, but it's very tight. And honestly if all are healthy, I'm sitting Shattenkirk, because he's the one who scares me the most. I'd rather have Gryz on his off win than KS.

I do se people talking Gryz for a pick, but I don't see that happening. I don't think this team is in pick accumulation mode right now. If they were to move Gryz, I could see him being swapped for another player at a different position. Or maybe something like a less expensive maybe more physical defensive defenseman type. Someone who is a better fit for the PK, etc. But also someone who will sit at times. Maybe a pick or prospect comes in as well to balance value.

I can't imagine this team looking to head into the remainder of the season, looking to rely on Wotherspoon, Ian Mitchell and Zboril as their 7-9 D-men

Reactions: Wirelessbits

Mick Riddleton

May these gates never be closed
Apr 24, 2017
Since the trade of Krug, the team has been lacking a strong offensive presence from the defense. Contending teams require a breakout player from the back end to pose a threat, and unfortunately, Mac, Grizz, and Lindholm do not fit that role.

Lohrei brings a refreshing element to the defensive core. It's clear that Grizz is playing to be traded, as confirmed by the GM. When the deadline approaches, it's wise to make that call. The team may have no intention of signing him. So it is better to get something in return rather than let it become another missed opportunity like the case of Loui Eriksson.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
He doesn’t have to be moved. Would you rather Grizz as 7D (it should be Forbort but worst case) or Mitchell/Wotherspoon?
Look I am not a Gyz hater ,but he carries the highest cap space and you will need as much as you can have, and the coach will not use him in the playoffs. Sorry like I said the games get heavy and he is not going to be there.

Reactions: hrdpuk

pearljamvs5

Jun 19, 2011
In terms of a trade, all signs point to Grzelcyk. He's a UFA at the end of the year. Lohrei has a similar skillset. Monty scratched him when he had Orlov and Sweeney told him he'd be traded this summer.
Crazy. Not doubting you, but just wondering when this was confirmed?

Reactions: JOKER 192

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I didn't drop Lindholm to bottom 6. Those are just pairings. With PK, and PP time he'd still get 20 minutes a night.

I do remember the regular season. I also remember the last 2 playoffs where Lindholm was not good in either. I remember him getting obliterated by, who was it, Svechnikov? Do people want him traded because he can't handle a heavy game?

Gryz is fine in the playoffs. It's not his fault he's been on the ice for some of his teammates' biggest defensive gaffs I've ever seen. He's made a couple puck handling gaffs himself, but not any more than any other defenseman tasked with handling the puck under intense forecheck as much as him. And those were because the forecheck was FAST, not heavy.
He got a concussion from the Svechnkov hit, last year he played on a broken foot ..........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad