Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I just picked up up off the waiver wire in Fantasy hockey. I don't even care.

This kid is gonna be goooooood.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I just picked up up off the waiver wire in Fantasy hockey. I don't even care.

This kid is gonna be goooooood.
wait til he puts a bit of meat on those bones, he doesn`t play with a snarl but he`ll be able to muscle off people, he`s a bit light right now

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
wait til he puts a bit of meat on those bones, he doesn`t play with a snarl but he`ll be able to muscle off people, he`s a bit light right now
Yeah, I have Ekblad and Chabot on my IR so it opened a spot for a bit of a gamble, so I picked Lo-Rider up this morning, haha.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
What are likely/realistic moves to make room for Lohrei?
Please trade Gryzlyk and Ullmark for a stud forward. Swaymans the best goalie in the NHL and both have value. I want Jesper Bratt add in JDB and that should make the Devils happy.

They’ll overpay someone for a goalie might as well be us.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Well, they could keep him as the 7th D and send down all the spares to make it work. There will probably be injuries and illnesses that keep a spot open in the playing lineup for both Lohrei (who needs to play) and Grzelcyk (who I don't want to scratch because it would hurt his trade value). They could maybe keep everyone for playoff depth, but I would think adding an every day player, if you can do it, would be more valuable than injury insurance.

In terms of a trade, all signs point to Grzelcyk. He's a UFA at the end of the year. Lohrei has a similar skillset. Monty scratched him when he had Orlov and Sweeney told him he'd be traded this summer.

If it were up to me, I'd try to move Gryz as soon as possible so I could bank cap space for the deadline, but that's easier said than done. Only 8 teams have the cap space to add Gryz without sending money back, and they're unlikely to get a good asset for him if they're not taking money back. If they have to wait until the deadline I could see him being worth a 2nd. More teams will be able to afford him and defensemen have a lot of value at the deadline. They probably won't clear enough cap to add a top6 player in that deal alone, but maybe they can make something work around a pending UFA if the other team retains the difference between Gryz and the incoming player.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Well, they could keep him as the 7th D and send down all the spares to make it work. There will probably be injuries and illnesses that keep a spot open in the playing lineup for both Lohrei (who needs to play) and Grzelcyk (who I don't want to scratch because it would hurt his trade value). They could maybe keep everyone for playoff depth, but I would think adding an every day player, if you can do it, would be more valuable than injury insurance.

In terms of a trade, all signs point to Grzelcyk. He's a UFA at the end of the year. Lohrei has a similar skillset. Monty scratched him when he had Orlov and Sweeney told him he'd be traded this summer.

If it were up to me, I'd try to move Gryz as soon as possible so I could bank cap space for the deadline, but that's easier said than done. Only 8 teams have the cap space to add Gryz without sending money back, and they're unlikely to get a good asset for him if they're not taking money back. If they have to wait until the deadline I could see him being worth a 2nd. More teams will be able to afford him and defensemen have a lot of value at the deadline. They probably won't clear enough cap to add a top6 player in that deal alone, but maybe they can make something work around a pending UFA if the other team retains the difference between Gryz and the incoming player.
Thanks Bill. A trade for Grzelcyk seems like the logical move to make room for Lohrei but could take some time, as you note. Keeping Lohrei by sending the spares down could work in the short term.

I'm just thankful to have such a good youngster available to add to the rotation. Good drafting here.

NOTE: I just found your proposal for a trade with Chicago (Grzelcyk for a second round pick) on the Trade Rumors board. It adds to the reasoning you offered above--thank you.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm ok with letting Lohrei getting NHL experience this year AND letting Gryz ride out the last year of his contract as a Boston Bruin. Then next year, giving Lohrei the chance to win a full time spot.

My biggest concern is depth. If one of Lohrei, Lindholm, or Forbot get hurt and Gryz has been traded, we're calling up another minor leaguer ( Zboril? Callahan? ) to play.

The team has been rolling pretty well without Lohrei so I don't think it's essential for him to be playing a permanent spot in the top 6 right now. Maybe platoon Lohrei and Gryz ( and Forbort ) to keep everyone fresh. But I don't think it's wise to trade Gryz right now.

Reactions: The Murph and Sigh

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA

I agree that trading Gryz does make some sense since he's a UFA, but I don't think Lohrei, and Gryz have similar play styles.

Gryz is a stay at home defenseman with good puck moving ability, while Lohrei is an offensive rover more like McAvoy, that's why Gryz is always defending odd man rushes when Mac gets caught up ice.

If you put Lohrei, and Mac together, Mac would have to switch to a more responsible defensive game which would hurt the offense he could provide. With Gryz, he can be a rover.

Orlov was suppossed to a very good defenseman, but was a disaster defensively, especially with McAvoy. It's one of the reasons the Bruins lost.

Gryz has also proven that he's quite good at PKing this season now that he's been given a chance, so that makes Forbert's one strength less important.

I probably wouldn't look to trade any of the D-men unless there is a future young #1 center available at the trade deadline since injuries are bound to happen.

I'd go

Gryz-Mac
Lohrei -Carlo
Lindholm-Shattenkick
Forbert

Give them all about equal minutes 5-on-5.
Gryz-Mac, and Lindholm-Carlo on PK, and Mac, Lohrei, Lindholme, and Shattenkirk with PP time

Reactions: Bodit9 and Dr Hook

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
licensed-image

s-l1200.webp

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I agree that trading Gryz does make some sense since he's a UFA, but I don't think Lohrei, and Gryz have similar play styles.

Gryz is a stay at home defenseman with good puck moving ability, while Lohrei is an offensive rover more like McAvoy, that's why Gryz is always defending odd man rushes when Mac gets caught up ice.

If you put Lohrei, and Mac together, Mac would have to switch to a more responsible defensive game which would hurt the offense he could provide. With Gryz, he can be a rover.

Orlov was suppossed to a very good defenseman, but was a disaster defensively, especially with McAvoy. It's one of the reasons the Bruins lost.

Gryz has also proven that he's quite good at PKing this season now that he's been given a chance, so that makes Forbert's one strength less important.

I probably wouldn't look to trade any of the D-men unless there is a future young #1 center available at the trade deadline since injuries are bound to happen.

I'd go

Gryz-Mac
Lohrei -Carlo
Lindholm-Shattenkick
Forbert

Give them all about equal minutes 5-on-5.
Gryz-Mac, and Lindholm-Carlo on PK, and Mac, Lohrei, Lindholme, and Shattenkirk with PP time

I can't see them giving McAvoy and Lindholm less or same as TOI as #12\#6.

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
I like Gryz but IMO, Lohrei makes him expendable. The NHL's 82-game season is a dog fight and you keep Forbort around for the PK and playoffs. I would think that Gryz helps them fetch a low 2nd / high 3rd round pick.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I like Gryz but IMO, Lohrei makes him expendable. The NHL's 82-game season is a dog fight and you keep Forbort around for the PK and playoffs. I would think that Gryz helps them fetch a low 2nd / high 3rd round pick.
So we set aside that Forbort has been terrible in the playoffs?

We can afford to have Grizz/Forbort as 7D. Why weaken the team this year?

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
So we set aside that Forbort has been terrible in the playoffs?

We can afford to have Grizz/Forbort as 7D. Why weaken the team this year?
Past performance is not always an indicator of what you will get going forward in the playoffs with a Forbort. If it were, why bother even keeping Ullmark. They've been winning games this season with solid D, goaltending and very importantly, the PK, so I'd keep him over Gryz.

B's are having a good season but I'm not exactly banking on them to be last man standing in the east, nor overpower a team like the VGK if they get there. What I would hope they do is create some cap space and recoup a desperately needed draft pick, all while supplementing Gryz with someone else who can play a skating game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad