Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — No nerves kept him from taking his pregame nap. No difficulty playing with his partner, who was a seasoned pro. No goals against.

Mason Lohrei had a solid professional debut Wednesday, with a 0-0–0 stat line hiding some strong offensive plays, a big blocked shot and a goal-saving stick lift that helped Providence take first place in the AHL’s Atlantic Division with a 3-1 win over Hershey.

“At the end of the day, it’s just hockey,” said Lohrei, who after leaving Ohio State for an amateur tryout agreement, skated in one practice before his debut. “I try to make the same decisions I’ve always tried to make.”

Lohrei, 22, wears No. 2 and is 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds with a stick that might be 6 feet long. It makes him look even lankier. It also helps him defend. In a tight third period, with netminder Kyle Keyser down and out, Lohrei went backdoor and tied up Hershey’s Beck Malenstyn, who had scored on his previous shift to cut Providence’s lead to 2-1.

Offensively, Lohrei and former Ohio State teammate Georgii Merkulov had instant chemistry. Lohrei showed he can beat the first forechecker. With less than eight minutes left, he wheeled through the neutral zone and got into the zone solo. He tried to go between his legs, but was pushed wide and off the puck.

Big strides on the ice, but baby steps from a first-time pro.

Providence coach Ryan Mougenel, who played Lohrei on his top power play unit, praised him for possessing the patience needed to execute Bruins’ layered zone defense.

“You saw a lot of the poise that we’ve seen from him in the past,” Mougenel said. “I thought he did a great job of understanding the level and kept it pretty simple, but you saw glimpses — he’s got a great mind for the game and he’s going to be a great pro.”

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
great stuff to read about the kid

Hit a BCHL game last night, real good looking kid on Alberni Bulldog`s roster, RHD, if I were guessing, 6`2 ish, fluid skater, not one mistake made all night, Emanuelson Charbonneau, physical too, kids going to Nebraska-Omaha from what the dude from Alberni was telling me last night, no clue what kind of program they have but this kid might be something.

Jack Gorton, our old friend Jeff Gorton`s boy has disappointed me this season, kid shies away from any contact, big and strong but soft as butter, showed far more hustle last year, simply didn`t see it this season

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008

Saw this YouTube on Mason. Will be a great story if he makes it. Struggled to make damn near every step in development. Except recent one. I like the prospect who things didn’t come easily for. Just worked and worked to make it.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Saw this YouTube on Mason. Will be a great story if he makes it. Struggled to make damn near every step in development. Except recent one. I like the prospect who things didn’t come easily for. Just worked and worked to make it.

Really cool video.This kid has been through tough times and never quit.That embodies being a Bruin fan actually so how could you not love the kid here

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

That wasn't Lohrei's Providence debut.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I went last night and both Boston home games he played and sat behind net first & third ice level and was able to hone in on him

He was more impressive in Boston games

I’d give him B- last night

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1698976050422.png

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
If he keeps playing he did tonight DS is going to be forced to find a way to keep him up with the Bs. Fancy stats best player on the ice tonight, and by a good margin. Who does that in their first game, against a rival, down 3 starting d-men? I guess Lohrei does. Dynamic, smart, and effective.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don’t think you can touch the 2nd pairing of him and Carlo. Which means you can staple Lindholm to McAvoy.

We should get a good amount of offense out of him too dude looks awesome. Always nice to have size back there too.

Reactions: HustleB and BTO

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Love how there are already articles out advocating suspension for Marchand. I wonder where that came from Lol

I know the comparisons were a bit of Dougie Hamilton but he seems more engaged and less perimeter based, not hating on Douglas, he can play.
He actually kind of reminds me of Big Buff. Not the skating or shooting but the willingness to rove in the offensive zone.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I felt Lohrei was a bit deer in the headlights during preseason and thought it would take him a good stretch to get used to professional hockey.

I'm an idiot.

Everywhere a spot for a good scoring chance popped up, Lohrei was there. No half measures or hesitation - he went right where the puck demanded him to be.

That was one hell of an NHL debut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad