Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The problem with Forbort last playoffs wasn't even really Forbort, but the fact that he got healthy in time for the start of the series and it made Jim make the first of his many panic moves by forcing him into the lineup and disrupting the defense pairings that had been working at the end of the year. Then insisting on keeping Forbort in and playing games with Gryz and Clifton alternating scratches.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
I don't really agree on the play styles being different. I think both Gryz and Lohrei are puck movers. Gryz roves in the offensive zone as much as McAvoy. Some of the best hockey I've ever seen was when Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, Gryz and McAvoy were on the ice together. No positions, everyone weaving and roaming, guys interchanging... it was impossible to defend. I think Lohrei likes to rush/carry more and I think Lohrei is a more natural scorer. He's also 6'5 so he's like Super Gryz in my mind. Everything you like about Gryz but with Carlo's body.

I also don't think they're big believers in Grzelcyk's pk ability. Honestly, I don't think Monty is a fan of Gryz, period. Gryz plays less under Monty than under Cassidy, Monty scratched him in the playoffs. I think Monty prefers Forbort, for the role that Forbort plays, which is why I worry that if they keep Lohrei and Gryz, Grzelcyk will be the one sitting and hurting his trade value.

I think if they did keep everyone, and you could convince Monty to sit Forbort, the 1st and 3rd LD would be flipped from your lineup...

Lindholm-Mac
Lohrei -Carlo
Gryz-Shattenkick
This defense next year but take out Shatty and insert a Quaider Miller type and Im sold.
Always said Gryz should be the 5 with 6 being big and nasty. A bit pricey but Gryz provides a skillset that is useful.

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA
He got a concussion from the Svechnkov hit, last year he played on a broken foot ..........
This is my point. Any player can get hurt at any time. Any player can turn the puck over under a heavy forecheck. Even big players. Yet Gryz is the only one people seem to want to get rid of because "he can't handle the playoffs".

Anyways, Lohrei does bring an exciting offensive presence to the blue line, but he does seem to roam a bit. That's why I'd put him with our most defensive minded RD in Carlo.

Reactions: PlayMakers

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The problem with Forbort last playoffs wasn't even really Forbort, but the fact that he got healthy in time for the start of the series and it made Jim make the first of his many panic moves by forcing him into the lineup and disrupting the defense pairings that had been working at the end of the year. Then insisting on keeping Forbort in and playing games with Gryz and Clifton alternating scratches.
So they couldn’t decide on Gryz or Cliffy. Meanwhile, Lindholm, Orlov, and McAvoy all had subpar defensive series. Orlov scored some big goals, but was running all over the ice on goals against. The goaltending was blah. And even then. One Marchand breakaway and one Gryz/Ullmark on the same page away from winning anyway. I just find it hilarious that Forbort comes back from injury and it’s all his fault. Forbort was probably playing more injured than Lindholm anyway, but Lindholm is sort of given a pass. I really think the team got all screwed up near the end of the season trading for Orlov. It created a team dynamic that everyone had to tryout again. The best record in history, and players weren’t given any respect.

Reactions: Root and JoeIsAStud

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Lot can happen and Sweeney could choose a super defense and go get Hanifin and just roll out a group that would be a handful.

They don’t seem to have anyone close and as of today if I’m GM I would strongly consider resigning Grzelcyk 3 or 4 yrs

He’s good - can play up and down lineup and phenomenal 5. You are looking at 12-16 minutes a game

I’ve seen the alternative and I want this guy

Ideally you pair with a cheap tough veteran who can cross check and clear out with the best of them- Bogosian, Schenn, etc type

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Lot can happen and Sweeney could choose a super defense and go get Hanifin and just roll out a group that would be a handful.

They don’t seem to have anyone close and as of today if I’m GM I would strongly consider resigning Grzelcyk 3 or 4 yrs

He’s good - can play up and down lineup and phenomenal 5. You are looking at 12-16 minutes a game

I’ve seen the alternative and I want this guy

Ideally you pair with a cheap tough veteran who can cross check and clear out with the best of them- Bogosian, Schenn, etc type
How much are you willing to spend on Gryz??????????? It no secret when I say I feel it is time to move on from him.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Which way, he isn't signing for 3 more years at that amount or you want no more to do with him at league minimum?

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Personally I feel it is simply time to move on from Gryz . The way the D is structured after this year if not before move on thank him for his services and wish him luck
Meh. I’d like to keep him. He is a good player.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Been a long time since he played hockey outside Boston, so I do wonder what kind of hometown discount would he be willing to take.

He isn’t taking a 1.4M pay cut when the cap is going up. There’s no wondering. Expecting anything less than 3.5M is hilarious. If he was to hit FA and sign for less than 3.5M, I’d be disappointed Boston didn’t ink him since it’s a steal.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
if you show up to work tomorrow and your boss asks you to take a "hometown discount" by getting paid half of what you make today are you saying yes?

My $1.5M was simply trying to find out where GL stood regarding #48. It wasn't
any kind of real-world number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad