Player Discussion Marner

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Very little .. did i missplace one word? You only said it was weird? Haha. You seem to have a bad memory. I said that I only watch parts of some games. You latched on to that statement, twisted it to I dont watch the games and argued that since you've watched each and every one of his games since jr, it made you an expert over me. Doesnt look like you were right does it?
Looks exactly like I was right, and my memory is very good. Watching games doesn't make one an expert, but it is a bit weird to criticize a player for their good performance in a win you didn't see most of, and it probably contributed to you being wrong about Marner.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Team high 6 shots on goal was nice to see. He needs to get the puck on net more often.
Why? The goal isn't to put the puck on the net, it's to put the puck in the net.

Marner's muffin of a shot often goes on the net, but rarely in the net so all it does is pad his stats but it doesn't help the team win. I guess that's good for Team Marner and if you're a member of his family, I guess it would be "nice to see". It's not good for the hockey team though so it's just a question of where your priorities lie.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Looks exactly like I was right, and my memory is very good. Watching games doesn't make one an expert, but it is a bit weird to criticize a player for their good performance in a win you didn't see most of, and it probably contributed to you being wrong about Marner.
So initially you said I said I saw none of the game.

Now you've backed off that statement?

That already is a huge descrepancy, and a huge misrepresentation of my posts.

Shows just how good your memory is.

Also... its funny that you went from being Marners biggest defender then and afterwards to now saying that all you said was that "you thought it was weird". Are you ashamed you backed him so much?

Know that Im going to post your posts from those games.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why? The goal isn't to put the puck on the net, it's to put the puck in the net.

Marner's muffin of a shot often goes on the net, but rarely in the net so all it does is pad his stats but it doesn't help the team win. I guess that's good for Team Marner and if you're a member of his family, I guess it would be "nice to see". It's not good for the hockey team though so it's just a question of where your priorities lie.
His hand eye is unreal and he does some unreal things, but for the love of God why cant improve his shot? He had some shots toward the net, but it didn’t feel like legit scoring chances.

Let him walk or trade him. Overrated.

Willy is the way better player.
Willy was back to being lazy Willy last night.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So initially you said I said I saw none of the game.
I didn't say you saw none.
Also... its funny that you went from being Marners biggest defender then and afterwards to now saying that all you said was that "you thought it was weird". Are you ashamed you backed him so much?
You seem to think everybody is 'Marner's biggest defender'. Of course I'm not ashamed of being correct, or for supporting a player on my team.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
His hand eye is unreal and he does some unreal things, but for the love of God why cant improve his shot? He had some shots toward the net, but it didn’t feel like legit scoring chances.
he should have buried his chance off the Matthews feed on the first shift. think it got deflected, anyway it was a great chance from close in, would have been nice to cash it.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Yup it's not for showboating how many shots you get which Marner was doing. Vanilla shots are what Marner's shots was. I'm pretty sure Berube realizes Marner needs to be a playmaker, so hopefully he talks to him that he can't just shoot. He was also on the outside too much, and yes I know thats his home. He avoids contact at all possible but it won't work now.

will you ever tire of this routine
I can't really blame him considering how Marner's crowd acts.

Jun 27, 2005
Let him walk or trade him. Overrated.

Willy is the way better player.
Are your sure?

5v5 over the last 3 seasons to get the sample size acceptable:

Player 1Player 2Player 3Player 4GPTOIGFGA+/-GF/60GA/60GF%
Auston MatthewsMitchell Marnerw/o William Nylanderw/o John Tavares205180812074463.982.4661.86
w/o Auston MatthewsMitchell Marnerw/o William NylanderJohn Tavares2158894529163.041.9660.81
Auston Matthewsw/o Mitchell MarnerWilliam Nylanderw/o John Tavares2278295033173.622.3960.24
w/o Auston Matthewsw/o Mitchell MarnerWilliam NylanderJohn Tavares23715597283-112.773.1946.45

Matthews is a superstar and does well with everyone.
Marner is a superstar. Marner with Tavares is as good as Nylander is with Matthews. Think about that.
Nylander is horrible with Tavares.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Are your sure?

Auston MatthewsMitchell Marnerw/o William Nylanderw/o John Tavares205180812074463.982.4661.86
w/o Auston MatthewsMitchell Marnerw/o William NylanderJohn Tavares2158894529163.041.9660.81
Auston Matthewsw/o Mitchell MarnerWilliam Nylanderw/o John Tavares2278295033173.622.3960.24
w/o Auston Matthewsw/o Mitchell MarnerWilliam NylanderJohn Tavares23715597283-112.773.1946.45

Marner is a superstar. Marner with Tavares is as good as Nylander is with Matthews. Think about that.
Nylander is horrible with Tavares.
So, Marner and Tavares are both weak skaters, so it makes sense they would gel together. Nylander set up Tavares at least twice with beauty passes and he converted on neither. Tavares cannot keep up with Nylander, which I’m sure is frustrating to Willy.

Marner and Tavares should be playing together imo.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Jun 27, 2005
So, Marner and Tavares are both weak skaters, so it makes sense they would gel together.
Do you even read what you write? Realizing that that Marner with Tavares is as good as Nylander with Matthews you're suggesting that the problem is that Nylander is too fast for Tavares. Really? This is the cognitive dissonance that I was talking about. The mental gymnastics that you guys go through around here is remarkable.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Do you even read what you write? Realizing that that Marner with Tavares is as good as Nylander with Matthews you're suggesting that the problem is that Nylander is too fast for Tavares. Really? This is the cognitive dissonance that I was talking about. The mental gymnastics that you guys go through around here is remarkable.
What I mean is that their games suit each other. Marner and Tavares as a duo should work. Nylander does not fit style wise with Tavares, and would more so with Matthews.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Jun 27, 2005
What I mean is that their games suit each other. Marner and Tavares as a duo should work. Nylander does not fit style wise with Tavares, and would more so with Matthews.
Marner and Nylander a both highly skilled right wingers. If Nylander can't adjust his game to work with Tavares after all this time playing together then there is something wrong with Nylander and we all know what it is. He's a soft perimeter player that doesn't know how to play defensively.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Marner and Nylander a both highly skilled right wingers. If Nylander can't adjust his game to work with Tavares after all this time playing together then there is something wrong with Nylander and we all know what it is. He's a soft perimeter player that doesn't know how to play defensively.
Some players just don’t work well together. Nylander wants to play fast, Tavares is incapable of that. Marner slows the play down and skates around the perimeter, which suits the play style of Tavares.

Jun 27, 2005
Some players just don’t work well together.
$11M players need to be able to figure it out. If Nylander can only produce with Matthews (everyone produces with Matthews) then he shouldn't be in the top 6 making $11.5M.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
$11M players need to be able to figure it out. If Nylander can only produce with Matthews (everyone produces with Matthews) then he shouldn't be in the top 6 making $11.5M.
Isn't producing without Matthews exactly what Nylander's been doing his entire career? Perhaps you meant to say Marner instead of Nylander?

Jun 27, 2005
Isn't producing without Matthews exactly what Nylander's been doing his entire career? Perhaps you meant to say Marner instead of Nylander?
Jebus dude. Literally half a page up are the stats that we're talking about. You jump into the middle of a conversation and have no clue what we're talking about. Do you really think Marner doesn't produce without Matthews and Nylander does? Is that what you actually take away from watching the games?

Here again is what we are talking about. Pay attention.

Nylander is horrible with Tavares and only produces with Matthews.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

I'm with ACC on this one. One of the things that we've criticized Marner on over the years is that he's too predictable, goalies can cheat because they know he's going to pass rather than rip one over their shoulder.

His shot isn't going to beat a goalie clean from the top of the faceoff circle, muffin is a fair enough adjective but he is an NHL'er who can pick his spots and is a ~30 goal player (been over 15% shooter the last three years). In the playoffs he'll usually just fling it at the net to get it off his stick before someone pressures him, but I do think he made good decisions to shoot on most of his shots last night. I remember one moment, perhaps in the first, where he was coming off the wing and rather than try a low percentage pass to Knies, who was coming in late and far away, he just ripped it high short side from the bottom of the faceoff circle. Montembault was clearly surprised by it, but was in position and made a good save with the shoulder, and it was actually one of our better chances on the evening. IMO, shooting there was the "correct" decision to make with the puck, and is the sort of play where we're used to Marner trying to make the fancy pass. I recall being genuinely surprised and quite pleased that he'd chosen to shoot. As always, credit where it's due.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad