Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Why do you think that was an impossible position? Nylander was signed for what was apparently his original asking price, so the actual signing date turned out to be irrelevant.

If, as reportedly stated by his agent, Marner has no intention of waiving, then how do you blame Tre for not trading him?

If Tre doesn't want to re-sign him and can't trade him, why be surprised or upset that he hasn't done anything?

You don't. You blame a fellow wearing fake glasses.

I also see no reason to do Marner any favors in the upcoming season. He is no longer in long-term plans. It would be stupid to play him 25min a game glued to Matthews.

Let him carry the third line and give more time to younger players with a potential of being a Leaf for a while.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Dubas came up with the rotating "A" between Matthews and Marner where one would wear a letter at HOME games and one would wear the letter for ROAD games. (unless either was injured).
Once again, the Leafs have had 3 or more alternate captains since 2015, and all but 2 years in the cap era.

Reactions: bax

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’s because the NHL has so many poverty teams that they would go bankrupt without the lower hard cap and the wealthy teams propping them up
The rich teams with strong revenue sources love the salary cap and that’s why it’ll never go away.

Reactions: Racer88

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The rich teams with strong revenue sources love the salary cap and that’s why it’ll never go away.

Imagine having 6 annual bonus slots that adds up to 20% of total cap. Up to 6 players can be chosen at the start of a season for reward.

For exapmle. Based on this season Leafs say AM WN had strong years and get selected for bonus. Domi had a good year but we dont want to spend 3.5m on his cap going forward.

Team gives AM 33% and WN 22%. The another 22% to Domi to lower the contract and have spent 77%. Of the 20% allowable for bonus.

Some player we really want comes available short term but we are low on cap. We can offer that ppayer the 33% left to get him in.

I think the above system would work out amazing for everyone.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Imagine having 6 annual bonus slots that adds up to 20% of total cap. Up to 6 players can be chosen at the start of a season for reward.

For exapmle. Based on this season Leafs say AM WN had strong years and get selected for bonus. Domi had a good year but we dont want to spend 3.5m on his cap going forward.

Team gives AM 33% and WN 22%. The another 22% to Domi to lower the contract and have spent 77%. Of the 20% allowable for bonus.

Some player we really want comes available short term but we are low on cap. We can offer that ppayer the 33% left to get him in.

Increase the cap 20%? I don’t think they want that.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

So your solution to the cap problem is to give AM and WN even more money?

It's backwards to award the bonus at the start of the season too. How do you know who deserves a reward and for how much. Not to mention the guys on the bottom of the roster will probably never see a dime of that money.

It just seems like another way of padding the bank accounts of the stars.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So your solution to the cap problem is to give AM and WN even more money?

It's backwards to award the bonus at the start of the season too. How do you know who deserves a reward and for how much. Not to mention the guys on the bottom of the roster will probably never see a dime of that money.

It just seems like another way of padding the bank accounts of the stars.

The idea would be to stop raising the cap now but add the near future increases into the 20% pool. Once its harmonized you start transitioning into the new system. Or perhaps the owners approve 10% to the cap 1st year to start and ad the following years.

You could also make it floating or allow other teams to buy unused bonus cap to struggling franchises.

Its a very rough framework that I am spitting out.

Ie. We buy NYI bonus cap 1:1. They get 20million in the bank and we can now spend 20 million extra but perhaps you can only buy a max of 20million

And no the bonus could be used exclussively for secondary players if a team chooses. You could also make it so players past a certain cap hit are not eligible.

Instead of shooting it dow explore and grow ideas.

Actually if you cut the bonus system off from players making 10%+ total cap and the player is very confident and works a deal out. A lot of good players will start signing for 9.9% of cap in the hopes of playing well and leaping another player making 12% via the bonus.

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The idea would be to stop raising the cap now but add the near future increases into the 20% pool. Once its harmonized you start transitioning into the new system. Or perhaps the owners approve 10% to the cap 1st year to start and ad the following years.

You could also make it floating or allow other teams to buy unused bonus cap to struggling franchises.

Ie. We buy NYI bonus cap 1:1. They get 20million in the bank and we can now spend 20 million extra but perhaps you can only buy a max of 20million

And no the bonus could be used exclussively for secondary players if a team chooses. You could also make it so players past a certain cap hit are not eligible.

Actually if you cut the bonus system off from players making 10%+ total cap and the player is very confident and works a deal out. A lot of good players will start signing for 9.9% of cap in the hopes of playing well and leaping another player making 12% via the bonus.

You completely lost me.

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. I'm sure it's a very good idea in your mind. But I can't wrap my infantile pea brain around whatever it is you're recommending.

I didn't watch enough Polka Dot Door as a kid I guess.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Or we can start acting like cap matters. We can waste 200M on Mitch and Auston . Unless you start signing players to reasonable contracts cap raise or similar mental gymnastic is out of question.

Not to mention we wouldn't be the only team going over the cap which means inflation over the board.

What makes you think teams like Boston/Florida would not be able to use the cap increase more effectively than let's say historically pathetic MLSE?

The gap between Leafs and the top of NHL only widens if you give everyone more cap space.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You completely lost me.

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. I'm sure it's a very good idea in your mind. But I can't wrap my infantile pea brain around whatever it is you're recommending.

I didn't watch enough Polka Dot Door as a kid I guess.

To make it easy. Hypothetically

NHL cap is 100m

Team allowable bonus is 10m which is 10%

Players making over 10% of the hard cap can not get a bonus.

Teams can buy extra bonus from teams that are not spending bonus money. This is for cash ie. TOR buys 5m of NYI bonus funds for 5m. Maybe put a limit on that or maybe teams can sell it at a higher rate like 5m bonus funds for 7.5m cash to the selling team.

Like that.

Now rich teams can buy extra bonus money for cash from poor teams. Then use that as a sweetner for bringing in secondary players etc.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I think for some the only thing they would consider "real change" would be bringing back Dubas.

What do YOU think?
I have not heard one person say that even from those who like Dubas so not sure where that is coming from. You stated you didn't understand what people meant by "real change"...you know very well real change means getting rid of 1-2 of the core 4 either by trade (very difficult) or letting walk at the end of year. Will or can that real change happen this year?....probably not.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
How many other teams Captains and Alternates have you seen throw tantrums or cry during a game?

I think its a legit issue.
1724775224612.png

• Haha
Reactions: bax and ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He let Nylander go into the season without a contract... putting a good team in an impossible situation where you basically can't trade him as it would cut the legs out of a team in mid-season form.

As for Marner, it's August 26th and almost every team is capped out. The time to move big money is in June or very early July, so that both teams can adjust their lineups around that big money move.

You could still move him in a player swap.

I don't believe they have or had any interest in moving him.

The only unknown is Term and Cap.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
You could still move him in a player swap.

I don't believe they have or had any interest in moving him.

The only unknown is Term and Cap.

The chances of finding a 1-for-1 swap, or anything resembling that is infinitely more difficult today then it would have been in late June or early July.

You can't really do "Marner for a defenceman", or "Marner for a centre" these days, because if a team was in the market for help on the wing, they've already allocated that wing roster spot and cap space to their next best alternative.

Moving players of Marner's magnitude needs to be done in the early parts of the offseason, so that teams can backfill what they trade away.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Buying someone's Cap Space, has already been done by teams dumping bad players / LTIR's to other franchises, but the currency is usually picks/other assets.
Buying for cash, goes back to the old days where players were purchased for cash.

Rich teams could take advantage, but poor teams could benefit during rebuilding years. This seems like a win win, so we must fear and reject it.

Have a better bonus system than exists today.

But it should be measurable, and based on results, not projections, and limit it to X# per year.

Example:

Matthews 69 goals would be bonus worthy as a one-time payment.
Nylander career year and 2nd. leading scorer, top 10 NHL, could land him a one-time payment.

Have neither impact the Cap.
Have it come out of the non-HRR.

If the franchise can't afford the bonus costs, then they should run their franchise better.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The chances of finding a 1-for-1 swap, or anything resembling that is infinitely more difficult today then it would have been in late June or early July.

You can't really do "Marner for a defenceman", or "Marner for a centre" these days, because if a team was in the market for help on the wing, they've already allocated that wing roster spot and cap space to their next best alternative.

Moving players of Marner's magnitude needs to be done in the early parts of the offseason, so that teams can backfill what they trade away.

And yet the option is the let him walk for free?

Would you rather get something for him or just say there is nothing good enough for him?

So if there is nothing good enough for him, he must be pretty good then!

Can't have it both ways.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
And yet the option is the let him walk for free?

Would you rather get something for him or just say there is nothing good enough for him?

So if there is nothing good enough for him, he must be pretty good then!

Can't have it both ways.

Not sure I follow your train of thought.

No question he's a good player... however his contract demands are such that he probably cannot be responsbily retained.

Therefore, yes, they should have gotten whatever they can for him, and moved on.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I wouldnt even put marner as a top 5 player in "wanting to win" on the leafs.
Extremely talented player.
But He seems happy for his off-season to start

Like if leafs are trailing 3-2 in Game 7 and it’s the 2nd intermission, I feel like Marner is already on his phone on Expedia booking hotel reservations

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not sure I follow your train of thought.

No question he's a good player... however his contract demands are such that he probably cannot be responsbily retained.

Therefore, yes, they should have gotten whatever they can for him, and moved on.

I'm saying you can still trade him if he was willing, and Cap space wouldn't be a concern because you wouldn't be trading him for picks, nor non-NHL players. Leafs aren't going to change from a "going for it" team to a rebuilding team based on trading marner.

If Leafs got what they deemed fair value, they can make the Cap Work with most every team as retention is just for this year.

If they other team sends $6mm in players Leafs could retain $5mm to balance it out.

Doesn't matter anyway, he isn't going to waive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad