Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I am not concerned about Swaymans, ability to do the job, or not being able to handle the pressure, I am more worried about the load he must handle
It can't be the more playing time.To be the so-called "The Guy" he'll be playing maybe 12 games a year more tops. What's that...an extra start every two weeks?
The pressure is proving solely if he's worth.
That being said if Korpisalo puts up solid numbers....that will be conversation for another day.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Dryden, ON
How did that work out for Bruce and how did that work out for Bergeron?
I mean they lost to a team that went to the finals the past two years, winning once. Sucks but you have to give more credit to Florida than shit on Boston for not making it past the first round that year. After putting up a 65 win season.

Anyway this is a Swayman thread.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I mean they lost to a team that went to the finals the past two years, winning once. Sucks but you have to give more credit to Florida than shit on Boston for not making it past the first round that year. After putting up a 65 win season.

Anyway this is a Swayman thread.

Correct, so let's get this back on track....

The Bruins, after a record-setting NHL regular season, would have beaten Florida two years ago if Bruce Cassidy were still the coach because he wouldn't have waited until Game 7 to put Swayman in. Instead they choked.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Dryden, ON

The Bruins, after a record-setting NHL regular season, would have beaten Florida two years ago if Bruce Cassidy were still the coach because he wouldn't have waited until Game 7 to put Swayman in. Instead they choked.
I agree with the goalie change part 100%

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Yeah, it's one of the things I hate about Friedman. He very often speaks to give off an allure that he knows some information but is holding it back, when it's also very likely he has no new information and is just giving his opinion, but trying not to make it look like it's an opinion.

It was a short segment but a waste of time today, unless you value his opinion that if the Bruins had a time machine they would have went back to the start of the summer and taken Swayman to arbitration at let him pick a 1 or 2 year deal.
I didn’t think it was a waste of time. A lot of fans have questioned the Bruins’ handling of the Ullmark trade (universally seen as a landslide win for the Sens) and Swayman contract (starting with the decision to take him to arb last year) and I thought Friedman and his co host had some interesting points on both subjects, including some comments Friedman has heard from other team executives on the matters.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

If Cassidy coached the Bruins wouldn't have come in first, let alone have the best season ever.

Players were done with him.

Reactions: lopey

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
People keeps saying this, but what other choice did Swayman have if the Bruins were offering a contract below what he would easily get in arbitration? Should he not have filed?
People keep saying this because there is a seemingly never ending conga line of other people claiming they did, but that is obviously old and tired. Both sides should show solidarity in shitting on the Bruins for putting Jeremy Swayman in a position where he and his agent were forced to tearfully file for arbitration.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Negotiate? Why didn’t he file for arb this year?

So you're response is that they didn't negotiate before? That him and his agent had no idea what the Bruins were offering?

As for this year, he didn't file because he obviously wants to cash in big time for a long time and that wouldn't be possible with arbitration.

If Cassidy coached the Bruins wouldn't have come in first, let alone have the best season ever.

Players were done with him.

I will forever not give a single f***ing shit about having the best regular season ever, especially when they chased it in game 82 where Bergeron got f***ing hurt.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Except that he has proven he can carry the load, and carried it into the playoffs.

You conveniently left out his playoff stats.....but that's ok did not mean to upset the applecart

Swayman is a 25 year old professional athlete why in the hell are we worried about that? It’s not like he’s 35.

If anything your beef should be with management/coaching staff for allowing a goalie in Ullmark who wasn’t in their future plans to play as much as he did.

However worrying about a 25 year olds stamina who has no previous injury history is a little bizarre.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
People keep saying this because there is a seemingly never ending conga line of other people claiming they did, but that is obviously old and tired. Both sides should show solidarity in shitting on the Bruins for putting Jeremy Swayman in a position where he and his agent were forced to tearfully file for arbitration.

I'm not shedding any tears for Swayman, I assure you.

But while you're right it's technically incorrect to say the Bs filed for arbitration, people say it like they had no choice once he filed. Whether or not their pre-filing offer was way too low or totally fair, once he filed they could have easily avoided it the way most teams (including them!) usually do.

Instead they went and it clearly caused a lasting issue with the player that is currently impacting negotiations. Penny wise....

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I didn’t think it was a waste of time. A lot of fans have questioned the Bruins’ handling of the Ullmark trade (universally seen as a landslide win for the Sens) and Swayman contract (starting with the decision to take him to arb last year) and I thought Friedman and his co host had some interesting points on both subjects, including some comments Friedman has heard from other team executives on the matters.
What did he say? Some of us don’t “podcast”.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
So you're response is that they didn't negotiate before? That him and his agent had no idea what the Bruins were offering?

As for this year, he didn't file because he obviously wants to cash in big time for a long time and that wouldn't be possible with arbitration.

I will forever not give a single f***ing shit about having the best regular season ever, especially when they chased it in game 82 where Bergeron got f***ing hurt.
That was Bergeron making the decision to play and also his decision, to come back and play after the team was up 3-1,

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Swayman is a 25 year old professional athlete why in the hell are we worried about that? It’s not like he’s 35.

If anything your beef should be with management/coaching staff for allowing a goalie in Ullmark who wasn’t in their future plans to play as much as he did.

However worrying about a 25 year olds stamina who has no previous injury history is a little bizarre.

Swayman hyperextended his left knee 2 years ago when Bergy crashed him into a post. We were all lucky it wasn't worse. Sh*t happens. Your argument as somewhat sound as it is, is still expectation vs history.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I'm not shedding any tears for Swayman, I assure you.

But while you're right it's technically incorrect to say the Bs filed for arbitration, people say it like they had no choice once he filed. Whether or not their pre-filing offer was way too low or totally fair, once he filed they could have easily avoided it the way most teams (including them!) usually do.

Instead they went and it clearly caused a lasting issue with the player that is currently impacting negotiations. Penny wise....
It clearly caused a lasting issue, sure. But that issue was self inflicted by Swayman and the guy taking a percentage of his salary to give Swayman good representation. The fact that the Bruins took mercy on him and only asked for one season is pretty much completely ignored. Maybe they are pound foolish, but put on blinders when Swayman's pants were down.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That was Bergeron making the decision to play and also his decision, to come back and play after the team was up 3-1,

Yup. Don't fault a player for wanting to play. I admire it. I fault the idiot coaching staff who put him in the lineup.

It clearly caused a lasting issue, sure. But that issue was self inflicted by Swayman and the guy taking a percentage of his salary to give Swayman good representation. The fact that the Bruins took mercy on him and only asked for one season is pretty much completely ignored. Maybe they are pound foolish, but put on blinders when Swayman's pants were down.

Except, it wasn't for all the reasons I've stated. Him and his agent clearly thought it was the only way to get the contract they believe he deserved.

The Bs share responsibility for the arbitration process, just as Swayman does. But there's a reason most teams try and avoid it entirely, especially with vital players.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Almost every single arbitration award is down the middle of the two asks. The Bruins knew that which is why they set their offer where they did. Gross should have known it too - could have just gone there without going to arb.

Dom goes into this in a lot of detail on his pod (I think two pods ago).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad