Prospect Info: Marner Magic about to take OHL by kNight -All purpose thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He didn't seem to have a high profile pre-season like Kadri or Nylander did at the same age, and Rielly seemed to be stronger in the internal rookie camps, demonstrating pro level passing and skating right away that was head and shoulders above his age group. Can't say I'm overly happy that he wasn't noticeably fantastic, he was definitely overshadowed by Nylander this camp and even Timashov may have taken a bit of the limelight away.

He's very young and very raw, so this year in the OHL will be good. If he spends a second year in the OHL the year after, that's not the worst thing either, since that's the development path Max Domi took, and also Claude Giroux.

Wish he had been more polished, but if the Leafs bring him along properly, that's not the worst thing in the world.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
He didn't seem to have a high profile pre-season like Kadri or Nylander did at the same age

Nylander got to play on lines with some pretty decent NHL forwards, including Kessel. And he ended up with two points in six games. I think Marner could have put up a few points and had just as high profile a camp if he'd had that kind of opportunity.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If Marner isn't 100% ready next year this is what I would do.

Firstly you are allowed 9 NHL games before a year kicks in. However those games don't have to be in a row or the first 9 of an NHL season. So you keep Marner with the Leafs, let him practice and give him those 9 games (selectively picking opponents) but spread it out over the course Oct/Nov first ~15 Leaf games.

Then you return to London mid November.. Then mid December he is released to join the WJC team and play there for 3 weeks in that tournament.

Then he returns to London mid January to go a Memorial Cup run and playoff experience and once London season ends he joins the Marlies for a Calder Cup run.

So during his 19 year old season he splits time between Leafs (9 games), Team Canada WJC, London (1/2 a season), Marlies playing pro and amateur for his development.

I have never taken the time to think out a detailed development path for Marner but if i did i could only wish it would look as brilliant as this. Thats awesome thinking bud.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Nylander got to play on lines with some pretty decent NHL forwards, including Kessel. And he ended up with two points in six games. I think Marner could have put up a few points and had just as high profile a camp if he'd had that kind of opportunity.

Gotta agree with this. Non of our prospects have really been put in the position to succeed outside of Nylander, and even he is getting 3rd line minutes.

Management never had any intention of letting any of the newer draftees fight for a spot.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT
If Marner isn't 100% ready next year this is what I would do.

Firstly you are allowed 9 NHL games before a year kicks in. However those games don't have to be in a row or the first 9 of an NHL season. So you keep Marner with the Leafs, let him practice and give him those 9 games (selectively picking opponents) but spread it out over the course Oct/Nov first ~15 Leaf games.

Then you return to London mid November.. Then mid December he is released to join the WJC team and play there for 3 weeks in that tournament.

Then he returns to London mid January to go a Memorial Cup run and playoff experience and once London season ends he joins the Marlies for a Calder Cup run.

So during his 19 year old season he splits time between Leafs (9 games), Team Canada WJC, London (1/2 a season), Marlies playing pro and amateur for his development.

How is that a good plan? Keeping Marner around to practice for ~15 games? Just so he can get a handful of games? What? What is he honestly going to learn in 2 months that is going to benefit his development in the coming months.

Sounds like a big waste of development time. If he's not ready for the NHL next year then he should be going to London.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
I still think drafting Marner was not the right choice. NO slight to what he could potential be. It seems like hes 3 yrs away and 2 inches and 25 pounds away from being in the NHL. Also its been so obviuos that the problem with are team has been our defense over the past 8 yrs. Carolina already has Hanafin penciled in on there second pairing. Dosent make any sense to me.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I still think drafting Marner was not the right choice. NO slight to what he could potential be. It seems like hes 3 yrs away and 2 inches and 25 pounds away from being in the NHL. Also its been so obviuos that the problem with are team has been our defense over the past 8 yrs. Carolina already has Hanafin penciled in on there second pairing. Dosent make any sense to me.

It's a marathon not a sprint.

He's fine at the height he's at, and will put on more weight once he matures. Your entitled to your opinion, but I think Marner has superstar skills and will be a very important piece for us in the future. Couldn't tell you much about Hanifin tho... who knows only time will tell.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I can tell you now that Hanifin looked quite silly on a few plays - these are all 18 year olds and outside of super talents like Eichel and McDavid, they all need time.

Mitch Marner is 7 months younger then Jack Eichel - believe me it makes a difference. I think Marner will need a year, and if he needs 2, he needs 2. The rebuild isn't going to be over in a year, this will take time.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
I can tell you now that Hanifin looked quite silly on a few plays - these are all 18 year olds and outside of super talents like Eichel and McDavid, they all need time.

Mitch Marner is 7 months younger then Jack Eichel - believe me it makes a difference. I think Marner will need a year, and if he needs 2, he needs 2. The rebuild isn't going to be over in a year, this will take time.

Yea im not knocking the justification for grabbing Marner he could replace Kessel in a few years. But it does seem confusing that we decide to rebuild and get rid of the best player weve had in a while primarily because of our lack of defense/ shots against. Then we have the opportunity to draft a top 4 d and we pass. Taking it a step further how we moved Kessel and didnt get at least Pouillet back also seems like a mistake. In 1 summer we could have polished off our defense for years to come.

Gardiner Phaunef
Poulliet Reilly
Hanafin Polak

1 of-Roy,Dermott,Jullsen,Larson

91Kadri91*

yea im not knocking the justification for grabbing marner he could replace kessel in a few years. But it does seem confusing that we decide to rebuild and get rid of the best player weve had in a while primarily because of our lack of defense/ shots against. Then we have the opportunity to draft a top 4 d and we pass. Taking it a step further how we moved kessel and didnt get at least pouillet back also seems like a mistake. In 1 summer we could have polished off our defense for years to come.

Gardiner phaunef
poulliet reilly
hanafin polak

1 of-roy,dermott,jullsen,larson

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Yea im not knocking the justification for grabbing Marner he could replace Kessel in a few years. But it does seem confusing that we decide to rebuild and get rid of the best player weve had in a while primarily because of our lack of defense/ shots against. Then we have the opportunity to draft a top 4 d and we pass. Taking it a step further how we moved Kessel and didnt get at least Pouillet back also seems like a mistake. In 1 summer we could have polished off our defense for years to come.

Gardiner Phaunef
Poulliet Reilly
Hanafin Polak

You can speculate all you want, but there's a reason why you're not the one executing the trades and draft.
Clearly the Leaf's thought the BPA was Mitch, and from what I've understood they saw a huge dropoff from his talent in Hanifin & Strome to the point they were almost willing to move down to the 6-10 range.
Also, we got a huge piece in the trade in KK. I feel like going into the trade Rutherford made it clear that Maatta and Pouliot were untouchable, (Both are going to have gigantic roles this year) so we made the best of a bad situation and got their best offensive prospect, their #2 or 3 defensive prospect(Depending if you like Dumoulin more), a 1st round pick, and Spaling which is another pick down the road.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I like this move. No point in rushing him and having him play above his head. Let him go down and further develop his game. Solid prospect management. See you next year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You can speculate all you want, but there's a reason why you're not the one executing the trades and draft.
Clearly the Leaf's thought the BPA was Mitch, and from what I've understood they saw a huge dropoff from his talent in Hanifin & Strome to the point they were almost willing to move down to the 6-10 range.
Also, we got a huge piece in the trade in KK. I feel like going into the trade Rutherford made it clear that Maatta and Pouliot were untouchable, (Both are going to have gigantic roles this year) so we made the best of a bad situation and got their best offensive prospect, their #2 or 3 defensive prospect(Depending if you like Dumoulin more), a 1st round pick, and Spaling which is another pick down the road.

Has Pouliot himself been very good this training camp? He's from Morgan Rielly's draft class, for reference.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Gardiner Phaunef
Poulliet Reilly
Hanafin Polak

Didn't seem like Pouliot or Maatta was available.

We chose Marner over Hanifin. While Nylander is doing great, most people consider Marner to be the superior prospect to Nylander.

I am fine with the pick of Dermott. Again, this doesn't happen over night, we could very easily end up with Chyrchun or Juolevi this draft, who knows, maybe both if our scouting staff are high on both.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
He'll play 40-45 games with WJC taking a lot of his time. I'm hoping he's still able to crack 100 points with so little games, getting above a 2.0 ppg is the main thing. But if he can't even reach 2.0, I'll chalk it up to growing pains at centre.

London's going to be so stacked this year with Piccinich and Sherwood proving they're top 6 material. Any word on Dvorak?

Edit: NVM, just checked the Knights thread. Dvorak was sent back today as well.

Tkachuk - Marner - Piccinich
Jones - Dvorak - Sherwood

Is that about right? Because that is scary looking

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina

Yeah, you are right. No 18 year old ever grew 2 inches or put on 25lb by the age of 21.
It's impossible ... Marner should just give it up now.

He oozes skill, vision, hockey IQ, speed, elusiveness, but that won't matter at all.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He'll play 40-45 games with WJC taking a lot of his time. I'm hoping he's still able to crack 100 points with so little games, getting above a 2.0 ppg is the main thing. But if he can't even reach 2.0, I'll chalk it up to growing pains at centre.

London's going to be so stacked this year with Piccinich and Sherwood proving they're top 6 material. Any word on Dvorak?

Early mem cup favourites, if they can add a defenseman at the deadline, even better.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Two things

We could pencil Marner in as our 1C. It doesnt mean anything if hes not ready. What if Hanifin totally blows it?

What they are today isnt important. Neither team ia winning anything soon. In 5 years revisit the debate and see whos the better player when these teams are hopefully competing.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina

You forgot Max Jones ... who is currently ranked #5 overall for 2016.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
man marner doesnt even need to play much hockey, especially in the O...he already killed it there...he just needs to spend time in the weight room, getting stronger and more explosive...that would do wonders for his game and speed

they gotta change that rule, after ur drafted, u should be able to go juniors, ahl, or nhl

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
they gotta change that rule, after ur drafted, u should be able to go juniors, ahl, or nhl

Problem is if they allowed that all the good CHL players would play from ages 16-17, then leave for the AHL. It would be bad for the fans and likely highly detrimental to the league. That said, they should maybe consider making an exception for top 10 picks or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad