Prospect Info: Marner Magic about to take OHL by kNight -All purpose thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I honestly don't know how anyone could think Marner would be going back to the OHL for 2 seasons, especially after the season he just had. It's already a shame that he has to go back for 1 more season, but it seems acceptable seeing as he's going to be developed as a center and have an emphasis on bulking up and playing a 200ft game without worrying about his offensive statistics.

Leaf's are probably going to take the route Tampa did with Drouin, and bring him up in whatever role he fits into during 16/17. It just makes absolutely no sense to think that it wouldn't be a colossal waste of time for him to be in the OHL as an over-ager.

Also, if people haven't noticed, it seems pretty obvious that management and the coaching staff is suppressing prospects right now. If they really wanted to give these players a shot they would not be slotting into the 3rd and 4th lines behind PTO's and stop gap vets. Kappenen (a player who almost cracked the pens line up a year ago), was slotted into the 4th line last night and played 14 minutes. This is what everyone was asking for when Babcock was brought in, and now it's happening and people are complaining :D.

The fact that Marner has played what, 1 game, tells you everything you need to know about managements current plan.

Last edited:

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I honestly don't know how anyone could think Marner would be going back to the OHL for 2 seasons, especially after the season he just had. It's already a shame that he has to go back for 1 more season, but it seems acceptable seeing as he's going to be developed as a center and have an emphasis on bulking up and playing a 200ft game without worrying about his offensive statistics.

Leaf's are probably going to take the route Tampa did with Drouin, and bring him up in whatever role he fits into during 16/17. It just makes absolutely no sense to think that it wouldn't be a colossal waste of time for him to be in the OHL as an over-ager.

Technically the term "over-ager" is applied to a player who is 20 years old playing in the OHL. Mitch came into the OHL at a relatively younger age than most players and will be 20 by the time he finishes his 4th season in the OHL. Personally, I don't see the issue with him having to spend 2 seasons with London. If he shows signs next season that he's still not ready there's no harm sending him back. We literally would be handicapped with the CBA to send him to the OHL or keep a 19 year in the NHL.

Anytime you play big-minutes it's never a colossal waste of time. You could make a case for it being disappointing, but every player develops at their own rate. We're not really in a rush to make a the play-offs anytime soon.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Also, if people haven't noticed, it seems pretty obvious that management and the coaching staff is suppressing prospects right now. If they really wanted to give these players a shot they would not be slotting into the 3rd and 4th lines behind PTO's and stop gap vets. Kappenen (a player who almost cracked the pens line up a year ago), was slotted into the 4th line last night and played 14 minutes. This is what everyone was asking for when Babcock was brought in, and now it's happening and people are complaining :D.

It was one season. Even Kulemin has had a 30 goal season before.

His offense hasn't even been close to NHL calibre so far, so it makes perfect sense for him to go back to the OHL. Let him come back next year where he already knows what to expect and we'll go from there. But keeping him down for two years would depend on his development and tbh, sounds less absurd than throwing him into the NHL this season.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

The fact that Marner has played what, 1 game? Tells you everything you need to know about managements current plan.

Well yes and no.. Marner hasn't played himself onto the roster really with his average play. He's looked good in some instances, but he's shown signs of not being ready. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as the PTO's are getting more looks as serious contenders. Management did it last year with Nylander as well, this is not a product of the Babcock effect

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Technically the term "over-ager" is applied to a player who is 20 years old playing in the OHL. Mitch came into the OHL at a relatively younger age than most players and will be 20 by the time he finishes his 4th season in the OHL. Personally, I don't see the issue with him having to spend 2 seasons with London. If he shows signs next season that he's still not ready there's no harm sending him back. We literally would be handicapped with the CBA to send him to the OHL or keep a 19 year in the NHL.

Anytime you play big-minutes it's never a colossal waste of time. You could make a case for it being disappointing, but every player develops at their own rate. We're not really in a rush to make a the play-offs anytime soon.

It's not about rushing into the playoffs, it's about a kid who will more then likley have nothing left to prove by playing against kids.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Well yes and no.. Marner hasn't played himself onto the roster really with his average play. He's looked good in some instances, but he's shown signs of not being ready. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as the PTO's are getting more looks as serious contenders. Management did it last year with Nylander as well, this is not a product of the Babcock effect

Nylander played almost every game last year, did he not? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but I swear he was given a top 6 winger position in those games as well.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that the PTO's are there, it's just a serious indication that management see's this year as a developmental year for these players, and not with the big team.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
It's not about rushing into the playoffs, it's about a kid who will more then likley have nothing left to prove by playing against kids.

Now you're drawing on assumptions, if he's not ready for the NHL he has more to learn. There's no such thing as "nothing" left to prove by playing against kids. This is an ancient belief intertwined in the scrolls of JFJ and Burke.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Nylander played almost every game last year, did he not? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but I swear he was given a top 6 winger position in those games as well.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that the PTO's are there, it's just a serious indication that management see's this year as a developmental year for these players, and not with the big team.

Pretty much the same course of action as last year, not a Babcock effect. The only real difference is a new coaching system and training camp set-up driven by competition

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Now you're drawing on assumptions, if he's not ready for the NHL he has more to learn. There's no such thing as "nothing" left to prove by playing against kids. This is an ancient belief intertwined in the scrolls of JFJ and Burke.

How so? You think there doesn't come a certain point where development stalls when you are playing in a league you so clearly dominated for 2-3 years?

You're right though, I was making an assumption on where he will be in a years time, but not an unrealistic assumption by any means.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
How so? You think there doesn't come a certain point where development stalls when you are playing in a league you so clearly dominated for 2-3 years?

If Marner shows that he's not ready next year you bite the bullet and send him down. He plays in a massive role for Team Canada once again, and gains more experience to re-fine his game. He would have the ability to make tweaks in his game and try different things at the OHL level.

You by no means rush a player into the NHL and shatter their confidence. In short I'd rather Marner not play in the NHL put up Draisatl production and get sent down mid-season.

Is it disappointing, sure? Development is driven by quality personal play, experience, and ice-time. The trade-off of course is quality of competition, he may need AHL seasoning that would require 3 years. I don't really know at this point if we're making hypothetical conclusions.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
... And that's that. And we won't see next year's draft pick until 2019-2020.

Buckle in boys and girls.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was hoping he'd play one more game to see if he improved even more. Oh well I guess he at least knows how high the bar is set.

Because its Buffalo on the docket on Tuesday it would have been interesting to see Eichel and Marner in the same game.

However while Marner's 2nd game was better than his first, you could tell from the Babcock interview I heard that it sounded like this was coming and that Babcock was trying to build up Marner's confidence by his comments by answering question in the form of improvement as opposed to saying he played well/good.

Based on the rookie tournament, intrasquad and exhibition games it was fairly easy to see that Marner is not ready physically (as expected) nor mentally at this point. The experience was a good one and Mitch will take back to London what he now knows a NHL camp is like and be motivated to work on things to make himself better and stronger.

A few 5 point games back in London and Mitch will be right back to his high-light reel self and his confidence restored.

Last edited:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
... And that's that. And we won't see next year's draft pick until 2019-2020.

Buckle in boys and girls.

So if we win the Auston Matthews sweepstakes you don't think we'll see him until the 19/20 season?

Wow.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He'll get stronger, play center and be ready to contend for a wing spot on the NHL team next fall. Then in a few years he'll be transitioned into a full time NHL center.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Yes, Nylander played six games last year and had two points, but also saw a fair amount of ice time. I prefer the current management philosophy of making them earn the ice time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It should be pretty clear that management has absolutely zero desire to have its prospects anywhere near the tire fire that will be the Leafs this season.

Slow and steady is an actual developmental strategy for Leaf prospects - something the organization has never really had.

Led him go back to London, be the first line centre and get bigger physically. We'll see him in a Leaf jersey when he's ready - and good things come to those who wait.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Now I'll get to see him in London all season :laugh:

But realistically I think this was to be expected. New management wants players to earn their spots on the team and Marner did not come close to being better than the players he needed to beat out. I expect him to go down to London, work on his craft and come back next season physically and mentally stronger.

Barring something unexpected, I see him being a Leaf game 1 next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad