Prospect Info: Marner Magic about to take OHL by kNight -All purpose thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
[/B]

How would you, or anyone else on this board (That is actually a leaf fan, some people I dunno) feel playing your first NHL game for the Leafs? I would be crapping my pants.

I was crapping my pants for JR A exhibition games my first time.... never mind the LEAFS, my life long team and passion.

It's not really important to empathize with what Marner's feeling, because I'm sure we'd all be nervous in his shoes, as are McDavid, Eichel, etc. when they make their debuts and its perfectly normal.

What is troubling is he's let it affect him at the rookie tournament and now at the main camp.

When you're a 4th overall pick of the Leafs, you better bring some swagger if you hope to survive.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Aside from being physically raw, Marner may also be young psychologically. You don't hear nerves being brought up much for pre-season, so he will have to mature as an individual and grow more confident in his own abilities before taking the next step. Juniors this year for sure. Wait and see next September.

I'd be worried if he wasn't nervous. Being nervous or stressed can actually improve performance as long as you don't become "afraid of being afraid" and let the natural symptoms you are experiencing become the focus of your mind.

Many stories of experienced NHL players throwing up before games.

Not worried at all about the player. That said, Leafs would be insane to burn a year on ELC to have him play up here in this season that doesn't really matter.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
[/B]

How would you, or anyone else on this board (That is actually a leaf fan, some people I dunno) feel playing your first NHL game for the Leafs? I would be crapping my pants.

I was crapping my pants for JR A exhibition games my first time.... never mind the LEAFS, my life long team and passion.

Not just that but the biggest pick we've made in a decade too. If it was some no name 7th rounder no one would be paying attention, but its the new managements franchise defining pick the same summer they get rid of their former offensive face of the team. Its Babcock's next big project, its Hunter's possibly highest pick he'll get to make, its the face of the 'skill over size' direction we're taking.

Yeah there's probably a little bit of pressure that comes with being that guy.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
If he's ready I could see him on the team next year.

He has an advantage over Nylander in that he is junior or NHL, Nylander has junior, AHL, NHL options.

Hunter can talk all he wants, but it isn't up to Hunter, it is up to Marner and Babcock. Babcoch won't play him if he isn't ready, regardless of what the AGM wants.

Yes, obviously things can change but Hunter was speaking based on what Marner has done so far. A year in the OHL after this coming season would be overkill and may even hurt Marner's development. After this season, I'd expect that Marner is in the NHL in some form - either as a full-time player or eased in the way Drouin was.

I think you mean he has a disadvantage over Nylander in that regard. In a perfect world, Marner would play one year in the OHL then a year in the AHL before progressing to the NHL.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
It's not really important to empathize with what Marner's feeling, because I'm sure we'd all be nervous in his shoes, as are McDavid, Eichel, etc. when they make their debuts and its perfectly normal.

What is troubling is he's let it affect him at the rookie tournament and now at the main camp.

When you're a 4th overall pick of the Leafs, you better bring some swagger if you hope to survive.

I didn't think he played that bad. It wasn't impressive, but it wasn't horrid. He looked better than some players who will be on the Leafs this year, as well as half/most of the PTOs.

Just like last year (although on diff. board) everyone dogging on Nylander, calling him a bust, saying he is too nervous etc.... and now, STUD!

You could watch the wrong 3 games in London last year and thought he is nothing special, or watched the 3 good games where he looks better than McDavid, a couple of games is nothing.

Hanifin has looked like crap as well, completely lost out there, I have no doubts he will be a great DMan, not going to hold his 2 games against him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I don't think survival is going to be a problem long term for Marner.

He's still just a teenager, as you say natural to be nervous: he now knows what's going to be excepted of him to be NHL ready and will take that back to the OHL in order to be read for next year.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
People can't be serious right now... Most wanted marner and knew to expect him to be small and not physically developed yet so a lot more time would be needed for development. Now people are second thinking marner? I was never a marner fan for the drafting iI wanted hanifin but marner grew on me. I wouldn't be too shocked to see his whole pre season be pretty weak. He's just not ready yet

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Yes, obviously things can change but Hunter was speaking based on what Marner has done so far. A year in the OHL after this coming season would be overkill and may even hurt Marner's development. After this season, I'd expect that Marner is in the NHL in some form - either as a full-time player or eased in the way Drouin was.

I think you mean he has a disadvantage over Nylander in that regard. In a perfect world, Marner would play one year in the OHL then a year in the AHL before progressing to the NHL.

This.

CHL needs to tweak these rules somehow.

If Marner has a similar season this year, and does well at the Jrs, what is the point of year 4? It's a waste to keep him in the OHL, and possibly he isn't NHL ready, so you have no choice but back to the O or put him in not ready.... Kinda dumb.

PS. I will be streaming a few live London games this year, probably on youtube... shhhh it's a secrete. Sure some will want to watch a few games. I goto most home games, so it will be away games.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I didn't think he played that bad. It wasn't impressive, but it wasn't horrid. He looked better than some players who will be on the Leafs this year, as well as half/most of the PTOs.

Just like last year (although on diff. board) everyone dogging on Nylander, calling him a bust, saying he is too nervous etc.... and now, STUD!

You could watch the wrong 3 games in London last year and thought he is nothing special, or watched the 3 good games where he looks better than McDavid, a couple of games is nothing.

Hanifin has looked like crap as well, completely lost out there, I have no doubts he will be a great DMan, not going to hold his 2 games against him.

Not worried so much about performance or upside, it's just going to be tough mentally if you're a nervous guy coming into an environment like this.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Not worried so much about performance or upside, it's just going to be tough mentally if you're a nervous guy coming into an environment like this.

He is more than mentally tough enough based on his actions to date. I like his game this preseason thus far, but understand that he knows he could be better.

Look at his play at the World Jr Camp this year against very good players...he was the best player on the ice...he can handle the pressure.

He will be playing in the OHL this year and he will have a chance to concentrate on getting stronger...last season he was concentrated on getting drafted as high as possible.

I also think we will see a better Marner before he is sent back to the OHL.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This.

If Marner has a similar season this year, and does well at the Jrs, what is the point of year 4? It's a waste to keep him in the OHL, and possibly he isn't NHL ready, so you have no choice but back to the O or put him in not ready.... Kinda dumb.

PS. I will be streaming a few live London games this year, probably on youtube... shhhh it's a secrete. Sure some will want to watch a few games. I goto most home games, so it will be away games.

Why do the rules need to change?

Either you are good enough to play in the NHL as a 19 year old or you are not. As a 20 year old teams can let a player go back as an over age or move them to their AHL team.

Last edited:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
It's all physical with Marner .. Just needs time to get stronger and more explosive.

If he trains as hard as Nylander appeared to over the course of last season, Marner could be poised to take a roster spot next year.

I'd argue that he needs to be even more physically mature than Nylander to have success at his position. Their games are different and Marner relies heavily on body-to-body contact in order to strip pucks away in the forecheck. He reminds me a ton of Zack Parise, another smaller high-motor guy and as was the case with ZP, MM will need to get much stronger. It's ridiculous how dynamic his skillset is that even if he erases his puckhounding game, he still has elite passing and skating to "fall back" on.

horner

May 22, 2007
[/B]

And playing at the Montreal Forum.
People here blow things up way to much.
You don't think the pros ever get nerves.

I have heard stories of the pros throwing up before a big gm.
It happens to the best.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

Kadri played with swagger and confidence in his first rookie tournament and camp, right from his draft and yet he is perceived as being cocky and arrogant by some. In fact, Kadri's play at the rookie tournament in Kitchener might be the best I have seen from a player recently drafted. I recall watching first rounders like Scott Thornton, Scott Pearson, Jiri Tlusty have zero impact in pre-season.

Can't believe some fans are reading so much into this. 18 year old kid not supposed to be nervous or allowed some growing pains along the way? Both Nylander and Marner were drafted ahead of others who are more physically mature and may have a quicker path to the NHL, but we drafted these kids based on the projection of what they will be at 23/24, not 18.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This.

Why? Marner and Strome benefited by playing against guys like Nurse, Deangelo and Bigras. And if Marner stays 2 more years (which I highly doubt) young defenders will benefit by playing against him. Long term this drain would just makes 18 year old like McDavid less ready for the show.

Nylanders Flow

Jun 29, 2014
Marner was always going to need another year in London. I have no doubts he'll make the Leafs after a year of being a leader on the Knights and Team Canada, and hopefully adding 10lbs.

That said, he wasn't even particularly bad last night. He was average for sure, but it was a pretty bad game all round, hardly anyone seemed to be able to keep the puck on their stick. Hopefully he does better in the remaining games to give him some confidence before going back to jr.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Nylander had 2 points in 6 games last year, what's up with the revisionist history that he was supposedly much better than Marner? And after Marner's played a whopping one game, too. Sure, Nylander looked good that year despite getting only two points, but it's also a lot easier to stand out when you're not being compared to an elite prospect who's one year older and a huge stable of vets. The negative reaction to his whopping one NHL game played is so typical of Leafs nation.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kadri played with swagger and confidence in his first rookie tournament and camp, right from his draft and yet he is perceived as being cocky and arrogant by some. In fact, Kadri's play at the rookie tournament in Kitchener might be the best I have seen from a player recently drafted. I recall watching first rounders like Scott Thornton, Scott Pearson, Jiri Tlusty have zero impact in pre-season.

Can't believe some fans are reading so much into this. 18 year old kid not supposed to be nervous or allowed some growing pains along the way? Both Nylander and Marner were drafted ahead of others who are more physically mature and may have a quicker path to the NHL, but we drafted these kids based on the projection of what they will be at 23/24, not 18.

:thumbu:

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Marner was always going to need another year in London. I have no doubts he'll make the Leafs after a year of being a leader on the Knights and Team Canada, and hopefully adding 10lbs.

That said, he wasn't even particularly bad last night. He was average for sure, but it was a pretty bad game all round, hardly anyone seemed to be able to keep the puck on their stick. Hopefully he does better in the remaining games to give him some confidence before going back to jr.

Agreed. Unless he regresses, he'll make the team next year.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Marner was just okay last night. He had his moments and made some solid plays down low winning races to loose pucks. But he also was lost in his own zone many times, looking like he didn't know where to be. It is most likely confidence, but this was evident last year in the OHL as well. Just because he is tenacious on the puck and makes a few nice stick lifts and turns the other way, doesn't make him a top notch defensive forward like many want to believe. He made too many soft passes at the blue line that got picked off and that just can't happen.

His vision though and ability to make quick decisions with the puck are solid though and he showed that a bit last night, but didn't have the time and space to really create like he's used to. Love his lateral movement and crossovers, just needs to continue adding power to his stride and lengthening it. He'll need two-three years before he can contribute regularly to this lineup IMO.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Is there a single post from Mess that's positive? I suppose we can expect this level of negativity for the next few years as Mess continuously tries to justify any way he can that Marner was a bad choice at #4.

He's not being negative, he's just doesn't have his head in the clouds. It is tiring reading post after post claiming how special and god like Marner is, when most of you guys never even knew him 18 months ago. Everyone needs to tone it down a notch, and just let Marner do his thing.

He had a great year and was a solid pick at #4, but he isn't a sure thing and needs time to develop his game. Give him two years to bulk up and work on his positioning and skating and he'll be a fine player.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
[/B]

No, you're right. Anyone claiming we should be concerned because he was nervous, is insane. Anybody with a damn pulse would be nervous in that situation, even NHL regulars. I can guarantee you Nylander, Timashov, Dermott, anyone really were nervous for this game.

His lackluster performance is no big deal, it is one pre season game that will soon be forgotten. But he needs to manage the puck better, nerves or not. He makes a lot of the same plays he was making last night when he plays with London, they just work moreso there.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

I bet you my house you haven't watched Hanifin in the pre season even more than two shifts. How do you know he's been crap? If you're going to say that about him, then yes, Marner was crap as well. Based off of your standards of course.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
This.

This line of thinking is so bad, it's laughable. All it is, is fans being selfish and wanting a faster fix. Marner has plenty to learn in junior, like his D-zone positioning and strength. Did you see him in his own end last night without the puck, he looked lost. Yes he made a few nice plays in the d-zone, but that is expected of a player at this level.

You can tell he isn't ready for the pro game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad