Prospect Info: Marner Magic about to take OHL by kNight -All purpose thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Very weak performance by Marner.

Needs a lot more development. Did not look like a top 5 pick yesterday. Hes probably a long term project.

I though he was good. Just what I expected. He was nervous. Playing the kind of game where you worry too much about making mistakes.

Go out there and play hockey Mitch. Don't worry too much about mistakes. We'll forgive you son. :)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Are you surprised by these folks? Marner is destined to go back to jr simply because he has a boys strength level. He's not wirely strong like Kadri was at the same age. Kadri had a slim build but he was strong like wire shown when he absolutely wall papers players or when he fougth and in both cases the opponent is almost twice his size... It was that element in why Burke drafted him.

The Leafs knew where Marner was at when they drafted him. They didn't draft for who's the closest to NHL ready but who has the higher upside. Give this kid a year or 2, gain strength and it's good night Irene he's going to terrorize NHL D men for a very long time.

If he turns out to be 6' 1" and 195 lbs with some power game he would still be the same high skill talent. He has dominated bigger players all his life in hockey apparently. As good as he can skate now, its likely he improves that aspect for a number of years while he gets stronger.

He should be fun to watch in the future. (intentionally understating)

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Geez, with some of the comments I wonder how long some people have actually watched hockey. Have they ever seen a player develop? Does anyone really think management has even the slightest concern of Marner?

I know some of the individuals posting are basically nothing more than trolls, but give it a rest.

Management has their plan & it was virtually set in stone on draft day.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Thought he did fine... it was his first game ffs, you guys jump to conclusions WAY to early. ONE GAME. ONE. Give the kid a break. All of you guys would be nervous in your first game + all the media in Toronto..

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
There's a strange mentality, imo, as to how people view players and opposing players who could have been drafted.

Perhaps it's because I come from a country and sport where drafting doesn't exist.

But from a personal level, I stopped caring about Noah Hanifin and his progression the moment we overlooked him and drafted Mitch Marner. I don't care who wins trades, and nor do I care who was drafted later than others 5 years ago and is now a better player.

I'm sure every single team have plenty of drafted players who aren't as good as those who were picked further down the list. (not even nearly saying that's the case with Marner & Hanifin) but when people focus on it so much, I feel like it affects their judgement of players and the team they support.

There are so many variables to drafts and trades that it can't be analysed as simply as player vs player. I know you guys use the term, 'in a vacuum' to try and simplify it, and I get that. But it does pain me a little when I see people so adamant that someone is a bust, or not good enough, or that a trade was lost because A is not as good as B.

Perhaps my mindset is a little simplistic and one dimensional. But I don't fully understand why people rip into players because they wanted someone else, or didn't.

I just see us drafting an exceptional talent in Marner, who needs some time to develop physically. I'm excited to see him break records this year, and can't wait for him to be with the Marlies, then the in the Big Show. If Hanifin becomes the League No.1 D in the meantime, good on him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The fastest developing prospect is unlikely to become the best prospect. It's not a race.

To doubt Marner so early is ultimately to call into question ones judgement of prospects in general.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
What are some of you getting so worked up about? It's called drafting and development for a reason. What we saw at the rookie tournament was simply an 18 year old playing against players up to twice his age. And with that in mind, Marner had an impressive showing that he will undoubtedly build upon as he goes back. I have hopes that Leafs management won't bring him up as a winger like they did with Naz and instead have him develop his game at C. Speaking of Naz, he should be a terrific mentor for Marner, particularly with the media stuff. I'm excited to see how he develops since his skill is evident all Mitch should have to focus on its the off-ice stuff: training, nutrition and video sessions.

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
Last year in Junior Mitch Marner opened up the season with something like 5 points in his first 10 games before exploding.
Give it time.
I thought he looked really good beside Nylander actually! Obviously a few mistakes, as any rookie will make, but overall I was quite impressed.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
What are some of you getting so worked up about? It's called drafting and development for a reason. What we saw at the rookie tournament was simply an 18 year old playing against players up to twice his age. And with that in mind, Marner had an impressive showing that he will undoubtedly build upon as he goes back. I have hopes that Leafs management won't bring him up as a winger like they did with Naz and instead have him develop his game at C. Speaking of Naz, he should be a terrific mentor for Marner, particularly with the media stuff. I'm excited to see how he develops since his skill is evident all Mitch should have to focus on its the off-ice stuff: training, nutrition and video sessions.

No there are no 38 year Olds playing at the rookie tournament. He was playing with older guys mostly 4 years or less, not twice his age.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga

Can agree. If nazzy sticks around, the knights alumni connection could be beneficial, especially since this year's drafts has intriguing knights players around our picks.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Geez, with some of the comments I wonder how long some people have actually watched hockey. Have they ever seen a player develop? Does anyone really think management has even the slightest concern of Marner?

I know some of the individuals posting are basically nothing more than trolls, but give it a rest.

No one is concerned about his development.

None the less, he didnt have a good performance against the habs. Just cause he's a prospect doesn't mean we can't criticize his play. This isn't the marner fan club. Unless it is. In that case I'll show myself out.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He didn't have a 'good' performance. He also didn't have a bad performance either. It definitely wasn't a weak performance.

No big mistakes. No turnovers. Some good things done in the defensive and offensive zone. A couple scoring chances. Weak on the puck. He looked better in the 2nd half. It was just an average game. Crosby can also have average games as a superstar. Why are you guys so defensive or so up in arms about this.

I'll say one thing though, if he got a goal, a lot more people would say he had a good game.

Nothing wrong with having an average game. It's not the end of the world and it's definitely not something to defend/argue to no end about.

Last edited:

bigdogsnipedaddy

Mar 2, 2012
Dermott was more impressive than Marner imo. Only reason Marner's up and Dermott got cut was because of the leafs dire need for top 6 talent and the fact he is a top 5 pick. Marner's performance yesterday wasn't the reason he's still around today.

Still hope he can have an impressive showing before he gets sent down though.
No contest Dermott was better than marner. Think both will have bright futures with the Leafs. Looking forward to them playing each other in the ohl.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Are you surprised by these folks? Marner is destined to go back to jr simply because he has a boys strength level. He's not wirely strong like Kadri was at the same age. Kadri had a slim build but he was strong like wire shown when he absolutely wall papers players or when he fougth and in both cases the opponent is almost twice his size... It was that element in why Burke drafted him.

The Leafs knew where Marner was at when they drafted him. They didn't draft for who's the closest to NHL ready but who has the higher upside. Give this kid a year or 2, gain strength and it's good night Irene he's going to terrorize NHL D men for a very long time.

Kadri fought 360 pound, 11 feet tall players?

Now that is impressive.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Some recent comments by Marner and Hunter.

Leafs grooming Nylander, Marner at centre

The Leafs asked Marner where he wanted to play and while open to either position his preference was also in the middle. Like Nylander, his transition back to the position began this weekend and is likely to continue when he presumably rejoins the Knights for a third junior season.

Marner, though, doesn’t think he’ll start his NHL career at centre. “My first couple seasons, if I play in the NHL this year or next year, I think I’m probably going to play wing for the start and then develop back into a centreman, try and get a little stronger on the draws and stuff like that,” Marner said.

The strategy is common (and could also be employed with Nylander), offering NHL clubs an opportunity to shield their young, talented and sometimes physically immature prospects from the demands of the centre-ice position initially. Tyler Seguin, Nathan MacKinnon, Claude Giroux, Logan Couture, among many others, all spent time on the wing in the early days of their NHL careers before sliding to centre.

“You’ve got to take draws,” Marner said of the different responsibilities the position demands. “You have to get harder back in your zone. You have to play lower in your zone.“It’s more of a two-way game I think,” he added.

Neither Marner nor Nylander has the size typically desired at the top of a centre ice depth chart, but the Leafs believe skill, speed and a knack for thinking the game will win over in the end. A few of the NHL’s best at the position – think Tyler Johnson or the aforementioned Giroux – lack prototypical size, but have thrived nonetheless. Still, the Leafs will push both to get stronger.

Marner, Hunter noted, could even see some time back on the wing this season when bigger opponents land on the docket. The Leafs want to get a sense of how the 18-year-old, generously listed at 5-foot-11 and nearly 170 pounds, acquits himself physically. “Mitch is not an overly big guy,” Hunter said. “He’s just got to get physically stronger to play a 200-foot game.”

Full Story: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/leafs-grooming-nylander-marner-at-centre-1.359705

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm hoping we get to see Marner verses Eichel go head to head Friday when the Leafs take on the Sabres.

#2 overall verses #4

That would make for an interesting evening and sub plot to the game itself by allowing for a direct comparison on the same ice surface.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
And again I reiterate that Marner is only 18 years old. I read a Sportsnet article yesterday about Lou's facial hair policy and it stated that Marner hasn't shaved in his life. Does this sound like a physically mature adult male? He's got some growing to do, people. Is the skill there? 100%, but he's still a fair amount of time away from playing full-time with the Leafs.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada

So what you are saying is that players need to develop an NHL game? They are not all NHL ready the year they are drafted? We are going to have to WAIT to watch our shiny new toys play in the NHL?!?!?!:help: :)sarcasm:)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So what you are saying is that players need to develop an NHL game? They are not all NHL ready the year they are drafted? We are going to have to WAIT to watch our shiny new toys play in the NHL?!?!?!:help: :)sarcasm:)

Additionally, just because they are drafted 4th. overall doesn't mean they are good when matched up against older and better players?

So when someone says 4th. overall pick wasn't impressive in a preseason game it could be that the 4th. overall pick wasn't impressive in a preseason game?

We don't have to :scared:

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
These aren't racehorses. These are human beings with complex minds and emotions. Marner was nervous, and it reflected in his play. It means nothing except that an 18 year old can be subject to nerves when thrust out center stage.

Mitch doesn't care what any of us think, I'm sure he recognized what he didn't like about his play and has at least a year to work on it, probably more. Relaaaaaaax.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Some recent comments by Marner and Hunter.

Mats Sundin played wing when he first came to Toronto as well.

As for Marner, I don't think anyone is writing him off because that would be obviously stupid.

But there's no doubt, as a prospect coming in with his credentials, he should be expected to play at a higher level than has so far. I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad