Prospect Info: Marner Magic about to take OHL by kNight -All purpose thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why can't someone be critical of his first showing, while still not writing him off.

After watching him in the OHL the last few years, I was unimpressed with his first preseason game with the Maple Leafs. While I was unimpressed, I know it's just one game and not enough to outweigh all of the great things I have seen from him over the last two years.

He needs work. I think it's more obvious to some now than it was over the summer. Nothing wrong with that - most high end draftees don't sniff the NHL for a year or two after they are drafted. No different here.

I don't know why some people feel they need to fight battles for Marner. The kid will be fine. If he plays well the next preseason game, I'll say he played well. Will take a lot more than a couple of preseason games to get me to change my mind on him, but I also reserve the right to not get taken to task for thinking that he was unspectacular (whether expected or not) in a given game.

Also, just because someone expected him to be unspectacular in his first game, or if there were mitigating circumstances to excuse his performance (nerves etc), it does not mean that he wasn't unspectacular. It just means it's only one game, and there is lots of room for improvement.

My $0.02. Feel free to ask for a refund! :D

Exactly.

You don't rate the kid's game, for that game, based on what he did in junior, you base it on the game.

Most people have seen kids have great games in preseason that doesn't mean they'll be a great player. Same thing if a kid as an average or below average game that doesn't mean they'll be average or below average player (in the NHL).

I don't see any reasonable posts suggesting he is a bust.

A game performance isn't about a career.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It just depends on the quality of the performance.

If he was great like he was at the WJC camp, then you dismiss it as small sample size and tell everyone not to get excited because it doesn't mean anything.

If he has a modest showing, like he did in his one pre-season game, you take it as final confirmation of how good he really is, and you tell everyone how wrong they were after this definitive proof has come down.

He had an entire seasons worth of observable data that showed he was fantastic. I give this the most weight in determining how he is as a prospect at present.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm interested to see if Marner is able to make adjustments in his next preseason game (assuming he gets one). Seems like a smart, adaptive player so I think he'll have a better showing

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm interested to see if Marner is able to make adjustments in his next preseason game (assuming he gets one). Seems like a smart, adaptive player so I think he'll have a better showing

I'd think for sure he'll get another game. Be nice to see him get a chance with some NHL caliber line mates.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He had an entire seasons worth of observable data that showed he was fantastic. I give this the most weight in determining how he is as a prospect at present.

I think the only observation we can make at present is that he looks very raw and nervous at this point.

Marner even admits in his own words that he has been.

Projecting potential is done at draft time, right now its about current development. Junior numbers don't equate to NHL readiness, only viewing and assessing under those situations allow for evaluations.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

This is likely the very thing that management themselves would like to see, on how he responds.

I think Leafs would like to keep him as long as possible to give Marner as much experience and game time situations to take back with him to London with the knowledge of what the pro game entails playing against bigger, stronger and more experienced players. Time and space in the NHL means things happen so much quicker and so read and react needs adjusting.

Marner has a high hockey IQ and those kinds of players are ones that are able to quickly take in info and assess situations and able to incorporate that knowledge to redefine their games on the fly. What works in junior doesn't often work at the higher levels and so I think that we should see Marner improve with each passing game he is given.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think we're looking for steady improvement throughout camp and that Marner gets better with each game as he adjusts and gets more comfortable and soaks in he information.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Leafs already stated that Nylander is being developed as a centre. He hasn't spent 1 second this pre-season on wing.

The Leafs were telling Marner that he'd play wing in the NHL and then eventually shift to center. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do the same with Will.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The Leafs were telling Marner that he'd play wing in the NHL and then eventually shift to center. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do the same with Will.

I have not heard this, even on twitter. Where did you hear that?

All i've heard is from Dubas and Hunter saying he's likely back in London playing centre.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

mikebel111*

See guy had a much better game. Very noticable
Looking like a solid pick so far

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
a pretty decent jump from game 1 to game 2...notice him a lot more, was on the puck a lot, saw some nice puck handling ability, got on the boards a bit

liked what i saw, with added strength and 1 more ohl season, cant wait to see him next camp

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I think it is almost certain that he is going back to London and I'm fine with that. I'm all for the long patient approach. He has the base talent and smarts to be a great player. Let's just develop him right. :)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think it is almost certain that he is going back to London and I'm fine with that. I'm all for the long patient approach. He has the base talent and smarts to be a great player. Let's just develop him right. :)

He's in over his head physically, which is just due to his immature body. Even if he was Gretzky he's just too weak physically to be playing against men.

Too bad he can't play in Europe.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
You know what's crazy though, come to think of it? Compare Marner's first camp, Nylander's first camp, and Kadri's first camp.

Kadri was absolutely lights out. It is so rare to see a rookie stand out like he did.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
You see flashes.. Like there was one shift where he was dancing around in the opposition corner, or dipsy doodling behind the other teams net. Overall, he just isn't mature enough right now - he gets manhandled.

I wouldn't be surprised if he follows a Giroux like development. 2 years of junior and a half year of AHL or something along those lines.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
He's in over his head physically, which is just due to his immature body. Even if he was Gretzky he's just too weak physically to be playing against men.

Too bad he can't play in Europe.

The best choice would be the Marlies, but since that's not allowed I am more than happy with him going back to London. They will also be aware of our interests & im sure they will be 100% on the same page. Marner should approach this year as his "job" is to get prepared for next year. Get on a workout regime & develop every aspect of his game management want him to improve on. No more worries about the draft or trying to impress various scouts. Be a team leader, fully committed & get stronger& faster.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You see flashes.. Like there was one shift where he was dancing around in the opposition corner, or dipsy doodling behind the other teams net. Overall, he just isn't mature enough right now - he gets manhandled.

I wouldn't be surprised if he follows a Giroux like development. 2 years of junior and a half year of AHL or something along those lines.

I think it depends on how quickly he can't physically develop and mature .. That's probably the biggest thing holding him back.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
I thought Marner looked much better tonight. Not sure what game Millen was watching. Sure he's not ready but he showed some nice flashes of what's to come. I noticed him more then I noticed Reinhart.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
You know what's crazy though, come to think of it? Compare Marner's first camp, Nylander's first camp, and Kadri's first camp.

Kadri was absolutely lights out. It is so rare to see a rookie stand out like he did.

Kadri was capable of growing a full beard the day he was drafted. Marner doesn't even shave at all yet. Pretty crazy difference in physical maturity!

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

Oh man, I remember Kadri's first preseason. Damn, he was electric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad