Prospect Info: Marner Magic about to take OHL by kNight -All purpose thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Very weak performance by Marner.

Needs a lot more development. Did not look like a top 5 pick yesterday. Hes probably a long term project.

Gorbo

Sep 3, 2009
Marner caused the turnover that led to nylanders goal. Wtf is with you guys?

mikebel111*

Needs a lot more development. Did not look like a top 5 pick yesterday. Hes probably a long term project.

And why should he look like a top 5 pick in 1 game? And haha long term project

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Is this a real question? Face palm material right here. Maybe because he was a top 5 pick?

You're a goof, don't care if this gets deleted or banned.
but he did look like a top 5 pick in the game, noah hanifin was getting destroyed out against pits, he was looking bad, is he a long term project. Marner is still a elite prospect, a franchise player waiting to happen, i watched the game and he got better as it went on very solid with some nice chances and 2 or 3 dime passes. He could be like a rnh player rite now imo, but that would not make him devolop the way he can. A year for him dominating junior with a dominant wjc will be great, i kinda hope his team chokes in the playoffs so he can get games in the ahl. He should be able to add 15 or so pounds and get to around 180. So far a lot of rookies initially struggled, mcdavid was eh till the third, and eichel started going in the 2nd, it's one game but marner showed a nice defensive game, with some great wheels and elite passing capabilities. Of course he was not consistent due to physical issue that can and will be solved. I was impressed with him and nylander. Both have over ppg max potential imo

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Cardiac Cane
8h8 hours ago
Cardiac Cane ‏@CardiacCane
Hanifin logged 23:02 of ice time with an assist, 2 blocked shots, 2 takeaways, 2:21 of PP time & 5:12 of SH time, was a -1 in debut.
he was getting constantly beat, i watched part of the game and was on the pens gdt listening for kessel. Hanifin is going to be a stud no doubt i would say he was as good as marner in his first game. The key part is first game. Many games for both these guys, and hopefully both turn into top 10 players in the nhl. I am cheering for hanifin more than i am for strome and i like any player from the gta or closeby but hanifin i can watch due to him being in the eastern confenence, and i was lucky enough to get hockey stream moving forward. So i want to watch as many games i can of seeing all top 5 draft guys play.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I bet you my house you haven't watched Hanifin in the pre season even more than two shifts. How do you know he's been crap? If you're going to say that about him, then yes, Marner was crap as well. Based off of your standards of course.

I watched the entire game, and much like Marner, Hanifin was okay. His stats look pretty good in spite of the score but it's not like he was lights out.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Dermott was more impressive than Marner imo. Only reason Marner's up and Dermott got cut was because of the leafs dire need for top 6 talent and the fact he is a top 5 pick. Marner's performance yesterday wasn't the reason he's still around today.

Still hope he can have an impressive showing before he gets sent down though.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Not that his performance yesterday is the reason (he looked like a boy against men, like someone who could get hurt easily in the NHL right now imo) but, with a number of promising undersized talented forwards and a lack of top/franchise D in the system I'm wondering if maybe Hanifin would have been the smarter way to go..

Only time will tell I suppose. For the record I am extremely high on Marner but we can't deny that Hanifin also has franchise D potential.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Not that his performance yesterday is the reason (he looked like a boy against men, like someone who could get hurt easily in the NHL right now imo) but, with a number of promising undersized talented forwards and a lack of top/franchise D in the system I'm wondering if maybe Hanifin would have been the smarter way to go..

Only time will tell I suppose. For the record I am extremely high on Marner but we can't deny that Hanifin also has franchise D potential.

Hanifin honestly reminds me more of an Erik Johnson than a Drew Doughty.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
People need to chill, the kid was drafted at like 160lbs - what did you expect? :laugh:

You can already see glimpses of his elite passing, vision and agility. If he ever hits 180lbs he's going to be a force.

Nylander and Rielly didn't look good in there first camps either.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
but he did look like a top 5 pick in the game, noah hanifin was getting destroyed out against pits, he was looking bad, is he a long term project. Marner is still a elite prospect, a franchise player waiting to happen, i watched the game and he got better as it went on very solid with some nice chances and 2 or 3 dime passes. He could be like a rnh player rite now imo, but that would not make him devolop the way he can. A year for him dominating junior with a dominant wjc will be great, i kinda hope his team chokes in the playoffs so he can get games in the ahl. He should be able to add 15 or so pounds and get to around 180. So far a lot of rookies initially struggled, mcdavid was eh till the third, and eichel started going in the 2nd, it's one game but marner showed a nice defensive game, with some great wheels and elite passing capabilities. Of course he was not consistent due to physical issue that can and will be solved. I was impressed with him and nylander. Both have over ppg max potential imo

We all watched the game man, he was slightly better in the latter half of the game, but not by much. It's only one game so no need to come to any conclusions. But basing it off only yesterdays game, and nothing else, he was merely average to below average defensively. Yes he was tenacious, and anticipated the play fairly well, but he was out too lunch without the puck in his own end most of the night.

Just because the kid had a few nice passes doesn't mean he played like a top 5 pick, he wasn't good last night and that's it. Doesn't mean he won't be a high end player for us, doesn't mean he will either. He needs to work on his strength big time, and it will take him years to get to 180. If you expect him to go back to London and just automatically show up to camp at 180 next year, keep dreaming.

RNH is a decent comparable, but he has much more length to his game and is a center through and through.

How do you know Hanifin looked bad? Did you watch the Carolina game last night? As well as Edmonton's game and Buffalo's? How are you drawing all these conclusions on these guys.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
RNH is a decent comparable, but he has much more length to his game and is a center through and through.

How do you know Hanifin looked bad? Did you watch the Carolina game last night? As well as Edmonton's game and Buffalo's? How are you drawing all these conclusions on these guys.

I feel like RNH is a good comparable. As you said Nuge is more of a pure center, but Marner is probably a better skater.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
But basing it off only yesterdays game, and nothing else, he was merely average to below average defensively. Yes he was tenacious, and anticipated the play fairly well, but he was out too lunch without the puck in his own end most of the night.

Which is to be expected for a junior player accustomed to less structured defensive play in his first pro game. He was not "out to lunch". His only problem was he over-pursued/over-supported on a few occasions, which works better in junior when teams can't make quick plays to take advantage. That's fine, I'd much rather see a young player actually being engaged in the defensive zone than the more common pattern where the player is constantly cherry-picking, lazy about backchecking, and gets caught deep as the 3rd forward. A few weeks of coaching and pro experience in his own zone and Marner will be better defensively than any of JVR-Bozak-Kessel were the past few years. He's going to be a very good defensive player, it's very apparent that he has a strong instinct to get back in good defensive posture when he's the F3.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
he was getting constantly beat, i watched part of the game and was on the pens gdt listening for kessel. Hanifin is going to be a stud no doubt i would say he was as good as marner in his first game. The key part is first game. Many games for both these guys, and hopefully both turn into top 10 players in the nhl. I am cheering for hanifin more than i am for strome and i like any player from the gta or closeby but hanifin i can watch due to him being in the eastern confenence, and i was lucky enough to get hockey stream moving forward. So i want to watch as many games i can of seeing all top 5 draft guys play.

Thank you for shutting down all the dummies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
We all watched the game man, he was slightly better in the latter half of the game, but not by much. It's only one game so no need to come to any conclusions. But basing it off only yesterdays game, and nothing else, he was merely average to below average defensively. Yes he was tenacious, and anticipated the play fairly well, but he was out too lunch without the puck in his own end most of the night.

Just because the kid had a few nice passes doesn't mean he played like a top 5 pick, he wasn't good last night and that's it. Doesn't mean he won't be a high end player for us, doesn't mean he will either. He needs to work on his strength big time, and it will take him years to get to 180. If you expect him to go back to London and just automatically show up to camp at 180 next year, keep dreaming.

maybe mine and your expectations were different, were people really thinking marner was going to put a hatty in his first game. No if he did that would have created more unnecessary hype, marner is a elite player yes, but he is also a player who has one visible weakness and thats weight. I mean once he adds muscle(easy thing to do for guys in the nhl now, atleast it seems that way to me) he will be stronger on the puck, i admit he was nervous and made a few turnovers, but he also swiped a decent amount of pucks and smart high iq plays. He was smart enough to get onside on the nylander goal. He showed nice hands but did fumble the puck when pressured body to body. He had some great wheels. Made smart chip in plays and showed a general smooth and calm style. I give him a B for his performance. He was solid. I expect him to improve next game and totally be ready in a year. Nylander put on lots of muscle and strength in one year i dont see why marner cant up his weight either. This preseason is good for him as he sees aspects that he can improve on in junior and become a gym rat. I have high hopes for him in the future, but game 1 as a 160 pound kid, he did wat i expected got nice steals, got nice couple of scoring chances, was a bit timid, went to the corners despite his size( really liked it) had 2 or 3 passes that were really nice, and had a few shots/chances to score.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Will Marner ever score a NHL goal ever???

No not a chance. He's no good didn't you see his single game. He's rotten. Why did they ever put him on the point on the power play too. He's had his chance trade him or ship him back to london ha.

Marner done well under the circumstances. Come on everyone.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Are you going to post a variation of this every few days?

As far as the criticism goes, do people even hear themselves? Some patience we've got as a fan base. "He doesn't look amazing in his first pre-season, bust." Like seriously? Seriously? Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
No not a chance. He's no good didn't you see his single game. He's rotten. Why did they ever put him on the point on the power play too. He's had his chance trade him or ship him back to london ha.

Marner done well under the circumstances. Come on everyone.

Are you surprised by these folks? Marner is destined to go back to jr simply because he has a boys strength level. He's not wirely strong like Kadri was at the same age. Kadri had a slim build but he was strong like wire shown when he absolutely wall papers players or when he fougth and in both cases the opponent is almost twice his size... It was that element in why Burke drafted him.

The Leafs knew where Marner was at when they drafted him. They didn't draft for who's the closest to NHL ready but who has the higher upside. Give this kid a year or 2, gain strength and it's good night Irene he's going to terrorize NHL D men for a very long time.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

You've determined all of this based on 1 game :laugh:

You must be better than NHL scouts, even they can't figure that out after one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad