Prospect Info: Marner Magic about to take OHL by kNight -All purpose thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwaguy*

The difference between drafting #1 or #2 and 4th overall is huge.

McDavid and Eichel are dominating in camp and challenging for top line center positions on their teams and Marner physical and mentally appears a year or more away from making the NHL at this point.

They are elite picks for any year though, Marner should still perform to the same level as a lot of #1, #2 picks in past years (And yes, they all had to adjust for a few games).

It's not even like he played a bad game either. People are overreacting. He still has massive star/franchise potential. Everyone knew he'd be going back to the O this season. All he needs to do is get stronger which is easy when you have a professional sports organization helping you do it. Add 20 or so pounds like Willy did (Even 15), maybe even grow an inch. And he'll come into camp next year at like 5'11/6'0 180 and dominate.

Literally the only issue is he's physically underdeveloped. There's nothing else.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's all physical with Marner .. Just needs time to get stronger and more explosive.

If he trains as hard as Nylander appeared to over the course of last season, Marner could be poised to take a roster spot next year.

Shwaguy*

It's all physical with Marner .. Just needs time to get stronger and more explosive.

If he trains as hard as Nylander appeared to over the course of last season, Marner could be poised to take a roster spot next year.

I'm almost positive Marner makes the team next year if he progresses like he's supposed to this year. Prospects of his calibre never get sent down twice.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm almost positive Marner makes the team next year if he progresses like he's supposed to this year. Prospects of his calibre never get sent down twice.

FWIW

The player that most Leaf fans compare Marner to is Claude Giroux (size, style and position) of what we hope he can become as an NHLer.

Giroux played 2+ more years in the Q post draft and 1/2 a season in the AHL before he was recalled due to injuries and the post TD opportunity.

Just like Mitch today Claude had to grow bigger and stronger and mature into the player he is today and had a longer development path to the NHL based on the size at time of draft not the skill level.

When Hunter drafted Marner for Toronto it was always with the expectation that patience would be required here for the boy to grow into a man.

Shwaguy*

FWIW

The player that most Leaf fans compare Marner to is Claude Giroux (size, style and position) of what we hope he can become as an NHLer.

Giroux played 2+ more years in the Q post draft and 1/2 a season in the AHL before he was recalled due to injuries and the post TD opportunity.

Just like Mitch today Claude had to grow bigger and stronger and mature into the player he is today and had a longer development path to the NHL based on the size at time of draft not the skill level.

When Hunter drafted Marner for Toronto it was always with the expectation that patience would be required here for the boy to grow into a man.

Marner is farther ahead of Claude at the same age though. Giroux obviously became a star. But he was not in the same calibre of prospect that Marner is until 2 years after his draft.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Is there a single post from Mess that's positive? I suppose we can expect this level of negativity for the next few years as Mess continuously tries to justify any way he can that Marner was a bad choice at #4.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner is farther ahead of Claude at the same age though. Giroux obviously became a star. But he was not in the same calibre of prospect that Marner is until 2 years after his draft.

This year its an easy decision to send Marner back to London.

Its going to be next year where we will see how much he has developed and what kind of season he has this year.

Next year will be more difficult because he can't go to the AHL and a 2nd year post draft in the OHL or keeping him in the NHL will be the process. Hopefully Marner makes the decision to keep him next year an easy one based on how well he develops over the course of this year and proves he is ready for the NHL next year.

Grapes1

Jul 24, 2014
Guys.... it was his 1st game.

You could tell he was nervous as ****. As the game went on he got better. He probably went home afterwards and punched his pillow all night thinking would've, could've, should've...

Sure he will get cut eventually, but you will see improvement in the latter pre-season games. This is a great learning experience for him. He will go back to junior and work his f'ing tail off... This kid has drive, he will be special.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Guys.... it was his 1st game.

You could tell he was nervous as ****. As the game went on he got better. He probably went home afterwards and punched his pillow all night thinking would've, could've, should've...

Sure he will get cut eventually, but you will see improvement in the latter pre-season games. This is a great learning experience for him. He will go back to junior and work his f'ing tail off... This kid has drive, he will be special.

While he'd be disappointed in his game, he knew going in that he's going back to London. It's not like he'd be thinking he blew his chance to make the Team.

IMO, he wasn't that bad, a little nervous but he got more involved as the game went on.

mikebel111*

Marner even admitted he wasn't really happy with his play

relax guys

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Marner even admitted he wasn't really happy with his play

relax guys

hes got 2 ful years of junior left and maybe 1 in the AHL .ITS GONA TAKE TIME ,hes a good player ,but who knows what free agents wil be brought in next 2 years .:yo:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It was his first game, and a preseason one at that. He did look a little shaky and nervous, but who cares. Lots more hockey to be played and he has plenty of time to impress. Next year he'll look just as good/better than Nylander does now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It was his first game, and a preseason one at that. He did look a little shaky and nervous, but who cares. Lots more hockey to be played and he has plenty of time to impress. Next year he'll look just as good/better than Nylander does now.

And if he doesn't, even you'll admit he's a bust right? ;)

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
hes got 2 ful years of junior left and maybe 1 in the AHL .ITS GONA TAKE TIME ,hes a good player ,but who knows what free agents wil be brought in next 2 years .:yo:

Not going to take close to that long. Hunter already talked about him joining the team next year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not going to take close to that long. Hunter already talked about him joining the team next year.

If he's ready I could see him on the team next year.

He has an advantage over Nylander in that he is junior or NHL, Nylander has junior, AHL, NHL options.

Hunter can talk all he wants, but it isn't up to Hunter, it is up to Marner and Babcock. Babcoch won't play him if he isn't ready, regardless of what the AGM wants.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I'm so pumped for next year..

It's probable that Marner, Nylander and Brown are all ready to make the team in an impactful role.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Aside from being physically raw, Marner may also be young psychologically. You don't hear nerves being brought up much for pre-season, so he will have to mature as an individual and grow more confident in his own abilities before taking the next step. Juniors this year for sure. Wait and see next September.

Wild Hog

Sep 23, 2015
Canada
Marner by his own admission felt he wasn't on his game; especially during the 1st period. We cannot (nor should not) pass judgement on potential long term outcomes based on one exhibition game. At this stage in the season, it's not unreasonable to expect Marner to have an off-game one night, then a phenomenal game the next. Regardless of how this season plays out, it's certainly nice to see some top end talent sporting the Maple Leaf uniform.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marner by his own admission felt he wasn't on his game; especially during the 1st period. We cannot (nor should not) pass judgement on potential long term outcomes based on one exhibition game. At this stage in the season, it's not unreasonable to expect Marner to have an off-game one night, then a phenomenal game the next. Regardless of how this season plays out, it's certainly nice to see some top end talent sporting the Maple Leaf uniform.

Marner, Timashov, Bracco I would speculate could turn into very special players if they develop their potential.

If Marner is getting nerves, and this is the second time I've read about this happening preseason, that might be a concern.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Aside from being physically raw, Marner may also be young psychologically. You don't hear nerves being brought up much for pre-season, so he will have to mature as an individual and grow more confident in his own abilities before taking the next step. Juniors this year for sure. Wait and see next September.

Agreed. Think him and Nylander will be NHL full-timers in '16-'17, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's with the Knights over the next 2 seasons.

Wild Hog

Sep 23, 2015
Canada
Marner, Timashov, Bracco I would speculate could turn into very special players if they develop their potential.

If Marner is getting nerves, and this is the second time I've read about this happening preseason, that might be a concern.

Nerves do seem to be a bit of a concern for Marner. Hopefully they are minimized with some more experience under his belt moving forward. WJHC this year should help, as he's never really played on a big stage before.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

He had a bad first period, no doubt.... But here is the question I pose to people that keep on about Marner.... Who didn't have a bad 1st period? Nylander did as well, along wit the whole team.

People are way too hard on Marner, much like they were with Nylander last year. Kid can't even legally drink a beer yet FFS!

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

How would you, or anyone else on this board (That is actually a leaf fan, some people I dunno) feel playing your first NHL game for the Leafs? I would be crapping my pants.

I was crapping my pants for JR A exhibition games my first time.... never mind the LEAFS, my life long team and passion.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

We should totally trade him. Or see if we can offer Arizona Marner and a 1st this year for Strome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad