Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree with you other than your statement regarding ( Dubas mistakes ) I actually don’t think any of his signings at whatever costs are mistakes ..
I just think they are a sign of the times and in a politically correct sports world , I think he and we will be the benifactors down the road with this type of good management union between player and team ..
it’s just the way it is ..under salary cap conditions
By the way yes to the electric car or a 4 cylinder
It’s not getting any cheaper ...
Especially here in Tsawwassen
You ?
The Dubas thing was just reasons here, I was just using that as example. Personally, I think Willie will play at a level that is worth the contract esp since JVR pretty much got the same contract and I rate Willie to be a better player than JVR as soon as next year. As for Matthews, I am fine with that as cap hit is low compare to 13mil and terms is fine too since his next contract with the Leafs-will cover his 26-34yrs instead of 29-37 yrs.
Also I think players salaries are changing and I think fans, GMs will come to a rude awakening if they still think RFAs will sign more 4-5mil bridge deals.
I am in West Van, And I think it is more expensive here.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
The Dubas thing was just reasons here, I was just using that as example. Personally, I think Willie will play at a level that is worth the contract esp since JVR pretty much got the same contract and I rate Willie to be a better player than JVR as soon as next year. As for Matthews, I am fine with that as cap hit is low compare to 13mil and terms is fine too since his next contract with the Leafs-will cover his 26-34yrs instead of 29-37 yrs.
Also I think players salaries are changing and I think fans, GMs will come to a rude awakening if they still think RFAs will sign more 4-5mil bridge deals.
I am in West Van, And I think it is more expensive here.
Very good take brotha
If your a rock solid Leaf fan I’ll expose this good one
I’ve been in the Leaf Nation for over 55 years
My sons name is
Keon Kennedy Leaf

Reactions: Al14 and Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Very good take brotha
If your a rock solid Leaf fan I’ll expose this good one
I’ve been in the Leaf Nation for over 55 years
My sons name is
Keon Kennedy Leaf

That’s awesome. My family moved to Toronto during the early 90s. I became a fan then bc of Clark. He hits, fights and had a great shot. Then came Dougie. But my biggest wish was always Lindros bc he was just a beast and I always hope the Leafs would trade for him.
Anyhow, getting my son into Hockey and slowly he is cheering for the Leafs instead of the Nucks.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
That’s awesome. My family moved to Toronto during the early 90s. I became a fan then bc of Clark. He hits, fights and had a great shot. Then came Dougie. But my biggest wish was always Lindros bc he was just a beast and I always hope the Leafs would trade for him.
Anyhow, getting my son into Hockey and slowly he is cheering for the Leafs instead of the Nucks.
Good story
I’m from Hamilton Ontario , but born in T.O.
Came to this amazing Province for The Grey Cup , Argooooooos vs Lions in 83
And ended up staying
Started in Kits wow
Then Bby
Then New West
Then North Delta
Finally here in sleepy little awesome Tsawwassen
My daughter is a huuuuuuge Leaf fan , hates the Nucks and Habs and Sens and Caps and Bruins lol
Her favs are Fred , AM , Magic Mitch and Reilly
My son who is aptly named actually doesn’t like sports lol
Go Leafs Go

Reactions: Al14 and Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Good story
I’m from Hamilton Ontario , but born in T.O.
Came to this amazing Province for The Grey Cup , Argooooooos vs Lions in 83
And ended up staying
Started in Kits wow
Then Bby
Then New West
Then North Delta
Finally here in sleepy little awesome Tsawwassen
My daughter is a huuuuuuge Leaf fan , hates the Nucks and Habs and Sens and Caps and Bruins lol
Her favs are Fred , AM , Magic Mitch and Reilly
My son who is aptly named actually doesn’t like sports lol
Go Leafs Go
That’s awesome.

My son fav Leafs is JT bc he likes that he choose to play with his childhood team and the other one he likes is Matthews and Reilly(bc he met him in West Van last year), while my daughter despite being 7 likes Willie.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Is it entirely the Toronto factor as to why only Marner is being linked with crazy money?

Point is a better all around player and a centerman yet its crickets for his projected contract. The tax factor is more than compensated by the sponsorship factor too. As Marner will make more in sponsorship in TO than Point would save in TB.

Rantanen and Aho are the closest comparables for Marner so we should be judging Marner's contract against the others in his RFA class.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The offersheet threat can easily come in at $10.5M , just shy of the four 1st round pick compensation.

You can dream all you want but there's not a reason in the world why Marner needs to make concessions to the Leafs when Matthews, Nylander, and Tavares didn't.

They'll take this to July 1st and gain leverage to push the ask to $10+ million..

10.5 at 5 years or less. And the Leafs would compensate that.

10.5 at 6-7 years is still 4 first rounders.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If I’m Buffalo and July 1st is here, I’m heavily offer sheeting Marner then Point depending.
I would even care about the 4 1sts, add Eichel/Marner/Point/Dahlin or put your rivals deeper in cap.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It'll get done by the draft. The draft is about a month away. Plenty of time.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If I’m Buffalo and July 1st is here, I’m heavily offer sheeting Marner then Point depending.
I would even care about the 4 1sts, add Eichel/Marner/Point/Dahlin or put your rivals deeper in cap.

I'd might like to take my chances with 4 consecutive 1st round picks from Buffalo. They can only add one of Marner or Point. Buffalo lacks the young support players and a real answer in goal, much of their great start was from the difference made by their vets. If Eichel is injured any 1 year, look out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"A framework possibly coming together" is a hell of a long way away from being close

The "framework" could simply mean that the Term has been discussed.

Marner's agent could say we want the Matthews deal (ie 5 years) and that would qualify as the "framework" being discussed, now might come the hard part and at what price point $$$ do the 2 sides agree on.

Its true though that Marner's contract would logically need to go first, before the team can move on to other RFAs and UFAs, know how much cap after Marner remains.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I am in West Van, And I think it is more exp
ensive here.

To be worth his cap hit Willy would need to play top 6 and 1stPP or PK and put up some stats. We know he won't play PK. Will he be on the top PP?
Hard to pay RW2 that kind of $$$

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I wonder if they go the bridge route at 9M x 3 yrs???

:dunno:
I'm hoping he's signed to max term, I don't care if he's over paid as long as it's a realistic over payment. The kid has been nothing but sensational to date, having him signed long term will soften the blow when Mathews leaves to play in the desert, be it Arizona or Vegas.

Reactions: Al14

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It'll get done by the draft. The draft is about a month away. Plenty of time.

It may be closer than you think and Shanny is dropping hints of that. The NHL frowns on teams like the Leafs making big announcements that take the focus away from the Conference or SC Finals.

I would be very surprised if anything was "officially announced" before the playoffs have concluded.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sounds like they've agreed that they will talk about a new contract.

Framework between 2 and 8 years, between, 8.5 and 11.2 million.

Doesn't give me any confidence whatsoever.

The last time Shanahan went public he was talking about "We before Me" and how all the Leafs young players were going to take less $$ than max amounts to keep the team strong.

upload_2019-5-15_6-30-8.jpeg

This time I'm going to need to see the results first. :wg:

Framework aside, I already have a feeling Leaf Nation is not going to like the term nor the amount, based on past precedence already in evidence.

Reactions: Kamiccolo and Al14

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You mistake me for someone who celebrates idiotic management. I'm just telling you what's going to happen, not what I actually want.

But unfortunately that ship has long sailed. This upcoming Marner contract was decided with the last three: Matthews, Nylander, and Tavares

I'd hardly blame Mitch and his agent for claiming what's clearly up for grabs based on precedent.

What you should do is blame the rookie GM who's already allowed three players to ride the gravy train.
:thumbu:

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Its kinda crazy, but my ceiling for income always seems to be around the NHL league minimum. Bizarre, been like that for fifteen years. I want to make Marner money, but it just never seems to happen for me.

But at least in my job, I don't have pucks and sticks flying around my head.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Get rid of this horrible salary cap , it’s killing the long range greatness of your sport , as you will only pay large for 6 -7 core players and inject and rotate cheap younger players in your bottom 6 forward lines and bottom 3 defenders and back up goalie every year ...
That’s why your development program and found wallets are worth more than ever ..
7 players for 75-80 mill
And 10 mill to split up for the rest of your roster ..
And also know that your loosing 1-2 upcoming solid players per year for nothing and 2-3 players that are walking regardless
Every year .

The salary cap needs to stay, but they need to find a way to reward teams for drafting well.
Players that signed with the team that drafted them should have only 75% on their salary count against the cap or something like that.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
His comparable with Kane during his RFA contract is much closer than Nylander and Pasta.

Not at all close if you factor in playoff performances.

9.2 x 5 would match Kane's first contract. Anymore than that and his camp is claiming he is a better player than Kane at the same age

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It may be closer than you think and Shanny is dropping hints of that. The NHL frowns on teams like the Leafs making big announcements that take the focus away from the Conference or SC Finals.

I would be very surprised if anything was "officially announced" before the playoffs have concluded.

It might be. It could be done tomorrow. Like I said, it'll be done by the draft so anytime between now and then.

With that said, I don't think there's a problem with the Leafs announcing anything right now if they wanted to, just like teams announcing GMs, coaches, etc. Leafs just announced Shanahan re-signing too.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
His comparable with Kane during his RFA contract is much closer than Nylander and Pasta.

Yeah sure, 0.94 PPG to 0.92 PPG.

But Kane signed for 5 years at 11.09% of the cap (9.2M in today's cap). At this point Kane had a ROY, a Stanley Cup (where he had 28 points in 22 games) and had a 9th place finish in overall points in the league.

Marner has had one ridiculous season playing with one of the best play driving and HD chance generating centers in the entire league and has a 11th place overall finish to show for it. No awards as well? Marner should not be making that money unless it's for a much longer deal, and even then I'm skeptical.

Reactions: GermanLeaf and kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is nothing to worry about. What we gave Tavares 3.5M per in sponsor money we will add to it with Mitch. Reports all over the place that he will get 5M per in sponsor money in this contract negotiation. And I am not talking about the 30 little deals any agent could do I am talking about the Bell and Rogers mega contracts. This is the hush hush backroom stuff which really gets the deals done and likely why Shanny was there as that is all boardroom stuff. The AAV is still important for show but the after tax total money to Mitch is what is at stake. I would think it is 10.5M for 5 or 6 years AAV and 5M in sponsor money to take him around 15.5M per. That would put him #1 on Leafs in overall income.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad