Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It will get done before the draft. It should not be all that hard to get signed based on our internal cap structure. 10.516 x 5 years or 11.16 x 6 years

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
This could get done relatively quickly (not suggesting imminently, just comfortably before July) as long as there is enough of a commitment from both sides to getting it done. Would be great due to the ripple effect it can have on other off season contracts and matters for the team.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It would be a really big deal if the Marner deal is done before the draft. It sets the team's budget for 2019-20 and allows management the time to pursue the moves necessary to make the salary cap for the season.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Everything about this smells of him getting $10-11/season which is ridiculous. This is a giant mistake. I love him, he's just not worth that and they're under no pressure to pay him that.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It will get done before the draft. It should not be all that hard to get signed based on our internal cap structure. 10.516 x 5 years or 11.16 x 6 years
Those are atrocious deals for the leafs. They do follow the trend put in place by Matthews deal which was short in term and about 2-2.5 million overpaid. Marner shouldn't be touching 10.5 million on a 8 year deal. He isnt currently a top 3 winger in the world and it just doesnt make sense for him to get a better contract than kane, kucherov, and ovy(outdated so not as strong). Leafs must go for a 6 year deal if they cant get term and end it at 10 million dollars. That is still insane money for only 6 years.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This could get done relatively quickly (not suggesting imminently, just comfortably before July) as long as there is enough of a commitment from both sides to getting it done. Would be great due to the ripple effect it can have on other off season contracts and matters for the team.
It would also be great to have it done before other players like Point, Rantanen, Tkachuk, Laine, Connor and Trouba, get their new contracts and can not set the market for Marner.

Reactions: Buds17

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I hope it's under $10M and that's a wishful thinking I guess - every penny does count

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think it’s fairly obvious something will get done. Dubas did a decent amount of our minor extensions in season, and most our remaining signings will be dictated by the Marner contract.

So essentially, there’s not much for Dubas to work on but the extension.

The fact that Shanny was there is interesting. Could mean something is fairly close

Shanny was there to tell marner to lower the contract AAV and he will get more commercials lined up for him that will outweight the AAV initially asked

;)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If they could get it done by the end of the month I'd be ecstatic.

They almost have to

If you don't know Marner's situation it's going to be bloody tough to sort out Kapanen, Johnsson and the defense

Our cap situation is razor thin, even a mill could make a huge difference

Reactions: DarkKnight

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wonder if they go the bridge route at 9M x 3 yrs???

:dunno:

Wasn't that the Matthews bridge number?

I'd have thought it would would be half a mill to a mill less than that on a bridge for Marner

We'd still be miles better off going longer term though

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Those are atrocious deals for the leafs. They do follow the trend put in place by Matthews deal which was short in term and about 2-2.5 million overpaid. Marner shouldn't be touching 10.5 million on a 8 year deal. He isnt currently a top 3 winger in the world and it just doesnt make sense for him to get a better contract than kane, kucherov, and ovy(outdated so not as strong). Leafs must go for a 6 year deal if they cant get term and end it at 10 million dollars. That is still insane money for only 6 years.

The problem when you sign a player to an atrocious contract like Dubas did with Matthews is that all the other agents are going to expect an equally or worst case scenario, a slightly less atrocious contract.

Inexperience has cost this organization dearly.

I wonder how much Dubas thinks his "advanced" stats can overcome his terrible cap spending?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Jesus, another **** house contract for me to complain about

Oh well, that would fit right in with the other **** house deals we've signed

Reactions: Al14 and Bomber0104

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
It amazes me the sheer amount of Leaf fans that want to drastically overpay him.

I can't wait for the "selfish" and "all about the money" takes that he gets - especially seeing how he has over 30 companies that sponsor him.

You mistake me for someone who celebrates idiotic management. I'm just telling you what's going to happen, not what I actually want.

But unfortunately that ship has long sailed. This upcoming Marner contract was decided with the last three: Matthews, Nylander, and Tavares

I'd hardly blame Mitch and his agent for claiming what's clearly up for grabs based on precedent.

What you should do is blame the rookie GM who's already allowed three players to ride the gravy train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad