Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
what part of his defensive game are you saying is weak, explain?
Drifts all over the ice. Defence is all about stops and starts. That’s hard work. Watch him on the PK game 4 he drifts towards the puck letting Pasternak have so much ice to skate into. Pay attention to his point man in every game. Always available for a pass. In his own end he’s not going to win that clear the zone fight on the boards. It’s why him and Matthews don’t work.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Yeah great he’s an October Warrior. Need him to not go 3 playoff games in a row with only 1 shot on goal. Three games, one shot!!! When it matters most. This is a line driver? Gimme a break.

You're just a waste of time to talk to really. Guy puts up points for 150 games with or without Tavares which was the talking point, I proved it and you moved on.

Im done, you're lost lol.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Marner's a great player, but he shouldn't get a penny more then Kuch on an 8 year term. But on the other hand I can see Dubas giving him $11m over 5 years because reasons.

Reactions: kb

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
You're just a waste of time to talk to really. Guy puts up points for 150 games with or without Tavares which was the talking point, I proved it and you moved on.

Im done, you're lost lol.
He could put a million points. Who cares they are out in round one because he can’t play playoff hockey. The second Bergeron took away Tavares it was over for Marner.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
We have no idea what Matthew's salary will be in 5+ years. Unless you have a time machine you've hidden from the rest of humanity, it's just idle speculation on your part.

Feel free to bring this post back up in five years and see how close I was.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
He could put a million points. Who cares they are out in round one because he can’t play playoff hockey. The second Bergeron took away Tavares it was over for Marner.

What's your debate, he sucks or hes nothing without Tavares?

If he sucks, okay I think you're wrong but you can have your opinion.

Is he nothing without Tavares? Well I was quick to disprove that with p/60 over a 150 game span.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
What's your debate, he sucks or hes nothing without Tavares?

If he sucks, okay I think you're wrong but you can have your opinion.

Is he nothing without Tavares? Well I was quick to disprove that with p/60 over a 150 game span.
He can’t get 90 points and suck however he isn’t gonna win you a Cup if he’s not 4 or 5 most important player in your lineup. He can pass at an elite level but that’s it that’s all he brings. Take that away and he isn’t very effective. See this season playoffs for proof. To often today’s fan gets sucked into the regular season point debate. Means nothing in a team environment if you can’t play the rest of the game. Tampa Bay same thing. Poorly built for playoff hockey.

As far as points go his output went up greatly with Tavares. Pretty obvious Tavares played a key role in that.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
He can’t get 90 points and suck however he isn’t gonna win you a Cup if he’s not 4 or 5 most important player in your lineup. He can pass at an elite level but that’s it that’s all he brings. Take that away and he isn’t very effective. See this season playoffs for proof. To often today’s fan gets sucked into the regular season point debate. Means nothing in a team environment if you can’t play the rest of the game. Tampa Bay same thing. Poorly built for playoff hockey.

As far as points go his output went up greatly with Tavares. Pretty obvious Tavares played a key role in that.

Well the Pk was fine against Bostons top line till it became 5 on 3 for the last 3 games and 5 on 4 at even strength because of Hymans injury. The Pk numbers, take aways... all tell a far different story from what you are seeing.
Don't know how NYI had a better record without JT and we had a worst one with him. I know Marneers fault.
1553705263900blob.png

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Well the Pk was fine against Bostons top line till it became 5 on 3 for the last 3 games and 5 on 4 at even strength because of Hymans injury. The Pk numbers, take aways... all tell a far different story from what you are seeing.
Don't know how NYI had a better record without JT and we had a worst one with him. I know Marneers fault.
View attachment 229415
Good grief buddy. Stop with the numbers and turn on a TV. It’ll tell you so much more. It’s a team sport and all of the individual numbers mean nothing in the overall game. Tavares never had a Matthews on the Island. All the focus was on him. The Islanders without the big point guy had to change game styles and where a lot fail to see in watching a game, it’s more suited to winning. An 11-10 loss is still a loss. Playing a full ice game is a winning style.

The PK went from 11th in the league to 17th in the league with Marner on the PK this year and 9th to 15th in the playoffs. He played a role in that whether you like it or not. In watching a game those numbers confirm exactly what I see.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Good grief buddy. Stop with the numbers and turn on a TV. Anyone can find numbers to fit a narrative. It’ll tell you so much more. It’s a team sport and all of the individual numbers mean nothing in the overall game. Tavares never had a Matthews on the Island. All the focus was on him. The Islanders without the big point guy had to change game styles and where a lot fail to see in watching a game, it’s more suited to winning. An 11-10 loss is still a loss. Playing a full ice game is a winning style.

The PK went from 11th in the league to 17th in the league with Marner on the PK this year and 9th to 15th in the playoffs. He played a role in that whether you like it or not. In watching a game those numbers confirm exactly what I see.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Drifts all over the ice. Defence is all about stops and starts. That’s hard work. Watch him on the PK game 4 he drifts towards the puck letting Pasternak have so much ice to skate into. Pay attention to his point man in every game. Always available for a pass. In his own end he’s not going to win that clear the zone fight on the boards. It’s why him and Matthews don’t work.

I agree Marner floated worse than JVR in the defensive zone at times this season.

But there were days he looked like a 27 year old Bergeron.

I think the key here is that it's clear Marner is ready to take his game to another level as an elite two way player. He's still young and developing. Bumpy rides along the way are inevitable. It's not common for 21 year old forwards to shut down lines in the NHL. That takes longer to learn.

From what I saw, Marner will have no problem getting there.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
I agree Marner floated worse than JVR in the defensive zone at times this season.

But there were days he looked like a 27 year old Bergeron.

I think the key here is that it's clear Marner is ready to take his game to another level as an elite two way player. He's still young and developing. Bumpy rides along the way are inevitable. It's not common for 21 year old forwards to shut down lines in the NHL. That takes longer to learn.

From what I saw, Marner will have no problem getting there.
I don’t see it in his game. Any level. He’s a slick player but not tenacious at all. Not his style. It’s flash or nothing. Watch a Brayden Point or even a Johnny Gaudreau. These guys are dogs on bones. And they’ve got NHL shots.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You’re just reiterating what Mess said. Tavares made his numbers go where Kadri or Bozak couldn’t. It was all Tavares. The playoffs proved the point. Once Bergeron took away Tavares, Marner became invisible.
Your lack of knowledge on this subject is laughable and shows your nothing but a person who hates Marner. JT did not make his numbers go anywhere, he produced at the exact same pace playing with Kadri and Marleau for the last half of the season before. The playoffs if you where watching proved that JT could not do everything on his own as he attempted to do. Once Marner got the puck his line was dangerous JT was a hog.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Your lack of knowledge on this subject is laughable and shows your nothing but a person who hates Marner. JT did not make his numbers go anywhere, he produced at the exact same pace playing with Kadri and Marleau for the last half of the season before. The playoffs if you where watching proved that JT could not do everything on his own as he attempted to do. Once Marner got the puck his line was dangerous JT was a hog.
Lol yeah that’s it. All JTs fault Marner had 1 shot in 3 games. Lol 1 shot in 180 minutes of playoff hockey. A boy amongst men.

It’s like your fawning over Kadri. Wrong player. You must just hate that Bozak, the much better player, may put on a Stanley Cup ring.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Lol yeah that’s it. All JTs fault Marner had 1 shot in 3 games. Lol 1 shot in 180 minutes of playoff hockey. A boy amongst men.

It’s like your fawning over Kadri. Wrong player. You must just hate that Bozak, the much better player, may put on a Stanley Cup ring.

How many times did Marner pass off instead of taking a low/mid danger shot? How much CF did the entire line generate? What was Marners CF in those 3 games?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You mean shots into shin pads? Now there’s a stat. Forgot what site I was on. Stats are us. House league highlights
Guess which Leaf player had the most "high danger shot attempts" at the Bruins net in the series 5-vs-5, *hint: it wasn't Matthews or Tavares

Reactions: CDN24

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Guess which Leaf player had the most "high danger shot attempts" at the Bruins net in the series 5-vs-5, *hint: it wasn't Matthews or Tavares
High danger shots without a dangerous shot. Who knew the Bruins would let him fire away. You’re just proving the point.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
High danger shots without a dangerous shot. Who knew the Bruins would let him fire away. You’re just proving the point.

Your point is that he wasn't offensive in the series, I pointed out he had the most attempts at the Bruins net in and around the net area (the slot) He also had a 36.70 offensive zone start compared to Matthews 54.70 and Nylanders 63.50. Marner was always up against Chara, McCavoy, Bergeron and Marchand also ... you want to try again?

Chara LHD, Marner RW, Chara has a 7 or 8 foot stick?

Last edited:

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Your point is that he wasn't offensive in the series, I pointed out he had the most attempts at the Bruins net in and around the net area (the slot) He also had a 36.70 offensive zone start compared to Matthews 54.70 and Nylanders 63.50. Marner was always up against Chara, McCavoy, Bergeron and Marchand also ... you want to try again?

Chara LHD, Marner RW, Chara has a 7 or 8 foot stick?
He wasn’t anything in the series. He went 3 games with 1 shot on goal. Three games!!! Post obscure cherry picked stats all you like.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He wasn’t anything in the series. He went 3 games with 1 shot on goal. Three games!!! Post obscure cherry picked stats all you like.

I'm cherry picking stats? lol I believe he was held to no shots in 2 games, don't cherry pick lol he had 5 shots on net in game 7 ...

high danger Corsi is not obscure bud, youre just not up to date and you're trying to determine a players value by shots on net, your thinking is flawed, there is all types of different skillset on a team, shoot first, pass first, low/mid/high danger shooters, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
I'm cherry picking stats? lol I believe he was held to no shots in 2 games, don't cherry pick lol he had 5 shots on net in game 7 ...

high danger Corsi is not obscure bud, youre just not up to date and you're trying to determine a players value by shots on net, your thinking is flawed, there is all types of different skillset on a team, shoot first, pass first, low/mid/high danger shooters, etc
One shot in 3 games. One friggin shot in three games of a Stanley Cup playoff series. You think that’s good enough?

High danger Corsi let’s see, a shot that can’t beat an NHL goalie, a shot that bounces around shin pads is a good stat to rest your claim. Lol. Anyone who understands the game quickly realizes it’s a flyby stat. Watch a game. Your eyes should tell you that high danger corsi meant exactly zero.

Obscure stats: where you can sort, filter or manipulate until your agenda is matched.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
If I’m reading this correctly, we’ve a few people here who are debating the issue of Marner vs Tavares and who is more responsible for their respective successful year? Really? I’m glad we’ve got them both. Carry on.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad