Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
And yet you are pretending like you knew Nylander would have a 40pt season. You literally had no idea, you took a wild guess based on your perception of a player, and it turned out to be correct based on a string of fluid variables. Doesn't mean you knew what the lottery numbers were before you won the jackpot. It's called hindsight. It's the same as my friend who wouldnt shut up about Carolina being a better built team then the Leafs because they made the conference finals. How does that look now?

Nothing you just adhered to is actually reasonable, it's actually extremely pessimistic to take a 22 year old 60 point player and pretend its reasonable to think he'd do worse then that in his 3rd full year in the league.

The odds that Nylander had a 40pt season were probably less then the odds he had a 70+ pt season on this team, and I don't think it would even be close.
A lot of us didn't need hindsight to see that Nylander shouldn't be compared to Pasta. Hopefully Dubas fixes his mistake and trades him to give Rielly some help on the back end.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
And where is the evidence of that ?

You are comparing his contract to 2 other contracts that are 8 years. How do you determine how much less his contract should be based on years ?

When comparing him to Eichel and Mcdavid he should make less then McDavid (He does) and more then Eichel (He does).

Maybe a UFA year is only worth 250k ? maybe its worth 3 mil ? Noone has any clue and noone can prove how much its worth. Just a bunch of Dubas haters pulling numbers out of thin air.

Edited: Not to mention, Is McDavid's contract a bargain ? Is Eichel's? It's hard to determine for this level of player

Basically you're trying to argue you can't use can't any comparable's when trying trying to evaluate a players contract , do you realize how big a GM fan boi that makes you look like ?

and just so you understand , blindly following the gm who is just another employee doesn't mean you're supporting the team

people who support the team wants want best for the team and don't spin themselves stupid trying to defend an incompetent employee

Reactions: Stamkos4life

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
"Close" in negotiations means nothing. Same with trades, "We were close". (to making a deal). Same in matrimony " We were close to being married till he (she) backed out a week before the wedding."
Let us know when there is a signed deal.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
"Close" in negotiations means nothing. Same with trades, "We were close". (to making a deal). Same in matrimony " We were close to being married till he (she) backed out a week before the wedding."
Let us know when there is a signed deal.
Show me the money Dubes!
mitch.png

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Personally i think his deal is around the new cap space . I think they probably have a deal 99% made up they are just waiting to get the confirmed cap number before they sign him. Depending on how much the cap rise he could make a few 100k more or less .

Once the cap numbers become official the contract will be signed

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
So far, Dubas is a fail in my eyes and at first, I liked him... lets see what he does over the course of the off season to better this team... Because so far, he is a fail in my eyes and I could of signed Tavares FFS, he WANTED to come home... Nylander deal is a fail, and I hope he is traded for a D upgrade.. I hope to never see Gardiner in a Leafs jersey again either, as well as Zaitsev, Marincin and hopefully Marleau too... Hope the Swedes he signed turn out to be stellar...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So far, Dubas is a fail in my eyes and at first, I liked him... lets see what he does over the course of the off season to better this team... Because so far, he is a fail in my eyes and I could of signed Tavares FFS, he WANTED to come home... Nylander deal is a fail, and I hope he is traded for a D upgrade.. I hope to never see Gardiner in a Leafs jersey again either, as well as Zaitsev, Marincin and hopefully Marleau too... Hope the Swedes he signed turn out to be stellar...

People who are disappointed with Dubas often cannot actually come up with a concrete dollar amount for what they think Nylander, Matthews or Tavares would have signed for reasonably.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
People who are disappointed with Dubas often cannot actually come up with a concrete dollar amount for what they think Nylander, Matthews or Tavares would have signed for reasonably.

I'm good with Willie at 7 only because I believe he is 75-90 point guy... Matthews is overpaid by 2-3 mil a season and Tavares is also overpaid by a couple million a season but that's what it took to sign them and get them in a Leaf jersey.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
The last 5 stanley cup winners used approx (within 1-2%) the same cap amount on their top 4 players. This isn't a "never before tried strategy" it is literally the strategy all teams use (other then the very rare teams who win without it, maybe one in every 10 years).

I bet you those teams had at least 1 defenseman in their top 4 players.

We are going with all 4 forwards.

This has never been done before.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Marner is a year younger than nylander.

Marner's career high is 94 points.
Nylander's is 61.

Marner's career high in goals is 26.
Nylander's is 22, and that was as a rookie. He has gotten worse at scoring since it appears.

Nylander is not trusted in the last minute of the game and does not PK.
Marner does both.

Nylander makes 7 mil.

Based on the above marner is worth at least 10mil.

If we need to shed salary it's not going to be the younger player who has scored 33 more points in a single season.

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
Not this guy... I would have not signed him at all for that hold out BS he did to us! forget dollar amount entirely in my own personal opinion! But with regards to your post, I do think he is overpaid, don't you?

People who are disappointed with Dubas often cannot actually come up with a concrete dollar amount for what they think Nylander, Matthews or Tavares would have signed for reasonably.[/QUOTE

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not this guy... I would have not signed him at all for that hold out BS he did to us! forget dollar amount entirely in my own personal opinion! But with regards to your post, I do think he is overpaid, don't you?

He under performed relative to his new contract by a large margin but I'm expecting that by the end of the contract will be similar to what we saw with Phil Kessel. At the beginning of that contract it seemed like an overpayment based on speculation, but as it will capture his early prime years you'll think of $6.9 million as pretty reasonable by years 2-6.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Nylander's is 61.

Nylander's is 22, and that was as a rookie. He has gotten worse at scoring since it appears.

Marner does both.

Nylander makes 7 mil.

If we need to shed salary it's not going to be the younger player who has scored 33 more points in a single season.

I'm fairly confident that in the cap crunch in this bridge year before Marleau leaves, neither Marner or Nylander will be a cap casualty.

Reactions: kb and mavis

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Nylander's is 61.

Marner does both.

Nylander makes 7 mil.

Most of us can agree Nylander is overpaid, so your argument is we overpaid this dude so this is how much we should be overpaying this other dude

Ever heard of the term, if your in a hole stop shoveling?

Also I'd like you to give me a good reason why were trading a high quality forward like Nylander at his lowest possible value, I'm no hedge fund manager but I'm pretty sure you buy low and sell high rather than the exact opposite

Reactions: cookie and kb

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Most of us can agree Nylander is overpaid, so your argument is we overpaid this dude so this is how much we should be overpaying this other dude

Ever heard of the term, if your in a hole stop shoveling?

Also I'd like you to give me a good reason why were trading a high quality forward like Nylander at his lowest possible value, I'm no hedge fund manager but I'm pretty sure you buy low and sell high rather than the exact opposite

That post was more aimed at the posters who think the nylander contract is fine.

Trading nylander now would most likely result in a fairly bad return, I agree.

But if it comes down to it, nylander has to be the first to go. You cant trade away the younger player who has a career high of 33 more points just because we overpaid nylander and might not get a good return.

The best scenario would be that we keep both and they both outplay their respective contracts.

After eveything nylander has shown (double flamingo, quits on the play during the playoffs, holding out for 2 months, 27 points in 54 games, etc) I would not be upset if we traded him for a slight loss.

I'm fairly confident that in the cap crunch in this bridge year before Marleau leaves, neither Marner or Nylander will be a cap casualty.

We have to much committed to forwards and not enough on defense.

But you are probably correct.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You guys believe pro hockey people think like Leaf fans on social media do lol, Willie will bring back quality whenever he is traded. Willies contract is also fine, he will most likely hit 70+ points next season.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad