Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Hyman wasn’t cleared to play he wouldn’t have been playing. The ACL narrative has to stop. Hyman has been a top PKer for this team. Put blame where it belongs. Marner is a terrible penalty killer.
It was Hyman who still lost the draw, so I place more blame on him for doing that and not on Marner.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Worst pk I have ever seen. We could have iced better from the Marlies and here is the kicker... It's not the players, it was DJ Smith and staff that dropped the ball never fixing it. Worst PK in a PO series, fire Smith at the least, guys gotta go.
When you don’t have the right player mix to through on the ice it’s a problem.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
I also see Hainsey and Zaitsev messing up on that penalty kill as well, not just Marner.
All Marner had to do was stay on position. This is his biggest defensive flaw. He drifts all over the place. Even 5 on 5 his man is always available. He’s just not good without the puck.

Reactions: freshwind

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
No matter what you are only blaming Marner and not the other 3 Leafs who were on the penalty kill with him.

At least I used a better example of Hyman losing the faceoff on the first power play goal against in Game 6, because that was a deflating play in that very moment.
I’m not only blaming Marner but I’m not burying my head in the sand about his short comings. Not good defensively, not beating an NHL goalie on the PP with his shot and not winning a board battle. He’s an elite passer. End of story.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I’m not only blaming Marner but I’m not burying my head in the sand about his short comings. Not good defensively, not beating an NHL goalie on the PP with his shot and not winning a board battle. He’s an elite passer. End of story.
I don't know how many power play goals Marner had this past season, however he did get 26 goals total and must be doing something right with his shot.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
I don't know how many power play goals Marner had this past season, however he did get 26 goals total and must be doing something right with his shot.
Jonathon Cheechoo once had 50+ goals. Situations allow for that. On the PP it’s obvious Marner will not be the shooter. There’s a reason for that.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
I looked it up and Marner had 3 power play goals this season, although I'm sure will say that doesn't mean anything and how he still sucks.
He’s an elite passer. That’s it. That’s not saying he sucks. He’s a good NHL hockey player for this NHL. But he does have flaws that you can’t bury your head in the sand on and blame others. He’s a big reason for a faulty PP and PK.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He’s an elite passer. That’s it. That’s not saying he sucks. He’s a good NHL hockey player for this NHL. But he does have flaws that you can’t bury your head in the sand on and blame others. He’s a big reason for a faulty PP and PK.
So what were you saying in October when their power play was fantastic to start the season?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Of course he does.

If Marner gets even a penny more than Rantanen, Dubas should be fired.

He might need to be fired anyhow, can you ever stop the overpayments from happening after you already set the bar,? At least a new GM can tell the next guy "Nice try but you aint getting me fired"

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He might need to be fired anyhow, can you ever stop the overpayments from happening after you already set the bar,? At least a new GM can tell the next guy "Nice try but you aint getting me fired"

I'd say there is no doubt he'll be making more, probably the largest deal for RFA this summer.

If he gets Matthews money, I'd look to trade one of them. I bet you could get a 1st. line center and 1st. pairing defender for Matthews.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I'd say there is no doubt he'll be making more, probably the largest deal for RFA this summer.

If he gets Matthews money, I'd look to trade one of them. I bet you could get a 1st. line center and 1st. pairing defender for Matthews.

Shakes head. Has anyone considered shanny has created a culture of safety? We finally have a generational player and we paid him, no dicking around,no pissing him off. Has anyone considered shanny and dubos are trying to be fair? Has Anyone considered they want these boys happy?! We shit all over Matt's, never gave him a winger, drove a Hof d to Detroit for nothing. The amount of bullshit Matthews endures from our clown fanbase is prob worth a bit more. Marner and Matthews should be paid. Guys take less in Florida and down south because they face like two reporters. Am34,Marner and tavares are not a problem. There is pressure in the contract Matthews signed and he delievered in round one. I want these kids happy.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I said it before and I will say it again. I rather Dubas overpay for Matthews, Marner and Nylander instead of Marleau or Zaitsev.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I said it before and I will say it again. I rather Dubas overpay for Matthews, Marner and Nylander instead of Marleau or Zaitsev.

I second that motion.

And I would put Johnsson and Kapanen in the same category as Marleau and Zaitsev.

I firmly believe you do what ever you can to keep your core together. Its the fringe players and complimentary parts that need to battled with.

Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Reilly, Dermott and Andersen are your core. Everyone else is replaceable. And if they don't want to sign at our price they should be dealt or allowed to leave.

Simple

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The main point is Hyman should not have been playing with a torn ACL, never mind that he was on the top penalty kill line with Marner. You don't think that Matthews, Tavares or Gauthier could have taken the defensive zone faceoff on the penalty instead of Hyman? At least they were natural centres and Hyman is still a winger taking that important faceoff.
Hyman is a puck retriever (by the coach's own words) who relies on his speed to do his job. What f***ing good is your puck retriever when his movement is that hindered?

That injury reflected in his play too, many were stating in the GDT's that something looked off with Hyman. Tavares has the most experience killing penalties out of everyone in our forward group, pure incompetency on part of the coaching staff for not making that adjustment, inexcusable.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hyman is a puck retriever (by the coach's own words) who relies on his speed to do his job. What ****ing good is your puck retriever when his movement is that hindered?

That injury reflected in his play too, many were stating in the GDT's that something looked off with Hyman. Tavares has the most experience killing penalties out of everyone in our forward group, pure incompetency on part of the coaching staff for not making that adjustment, inexcusable.
Was it Game 4 or 5 when Hyman looked like he was first injured? I remember on the broadcast Hughson and Simpson said he was either limping or something didn't look right with him.

The fact that Babcock did not use Tavares on the PK since he is a natural centre and can take faceoffs is a joke.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I second that motion.

And I would put Johnsson and Kapanen in the same category as Marleau and Zaitsev.

I firmly believe you do what ever you can to keep your core together. Its the fringe players and complimentary parts that need to battled with.

Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Reilly, Dermott and Andersen are your core. Everyone else is replaceable. And if they don't want to sign at our price they should be dealt or allowed to leave.

Simple
While I don't want this to happen but in a worst case scenario if Johnsson or Kapanen were given offer sheets that they signed and it looks like there is no more cap space available, Dubas should accept the draft picks. At least it would be an excuse for him to offer sheet players from any teams who do that to the Leafs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No one is offer sheeting either of those guys. Only offer sheets are for make it or break it guys like Point and Marner. If Johnsson persists on holding out as opposed to taking leafs offer then he be traded before/after his arbitration. Kappy will get a deal done with team right after Mitch's deal is done before draft.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

I agree but what happens when the next young kid puts up nylander numbers? With either of your centers and young kids on the second line with them, there will be other 60 point players. It seems easier to fire Dubs and let every RFA in the world know mistakes were made and those high priced short cut to UFA contracts are never going to happen again.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No one is offer sheeting either of those guys. Only offer sheets are for make it or break it guys like Point and Marner. If Johnsson persists on holding out as opposed to taking leafs offer then he be traded before/after his arbitration. Kappy will get a deal done with team right after Mitch's deal is done before draft.
So is the media talking about offer sheets for Johnsson or Kapanen depending on the Leafs cap to create headlines and nothing more?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree but what happens when the next young kid puts up nylander numbers? With either of your centers and young kids on the second line with them, there will be other 60 point players. It seems easier to fire Dubs and let every RFA in the world know mistakes were made and those high priced short cut to UFA contracts are never going to happen again.
When looking at the Leafs roster I consider Marner in a tier by himself. I also consider Johnsson and Kapanen in a lower tier after Marner. So the Leafs won't have too many contracts of other players like them in the future where they need a huge raise.

You also have to assume that Gardiner won't be back and maybe Hainsey as well, so they can get cheaper players already on the Marlies who are ready to play like Sandin as an example.

I should also mention if the salary cap keeps going up every year that will be positive for any future contract talks with other players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad