Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I say that's the best way to look at things with them being on the same line.

Agreed, both excellent players feeding off and making the other better
Long may it continue

Hey bud, kiddo.

You need to hear something.

You going all jihad against anyone saying Marner is good isn’t going to factor in to contract negotiations.

You can not affect the pending latest gross overpayment by the Kalculator Kid.

You gotta dial it back and relax my friend.

Marner is awesome. Marner is getting paid. No matter what diatribe you go on against it.

Go Leafs go.

Your post is complete drivel and pushing back against comments like, he's our best player, hahaha, he's driving the Tavares line, give me a break or he should get 11M or even worse Matthews money with no sane justification is not only a pleasure but a privilege

You trot off to bed now kiddo

If I may, Tavares beat his previous year's total by 4 points, and his career high by 2 points. Hardly a ringing endorsement of someone else driving him to higher heights.....

One would expect double digit improvement to qualify as significant.

Just going to wait for the Marner rate stuff, so I can pull out Nylander's rate stuff to compare to Marner's. Then I will await for the attacks that Nylander was playing with Matthews. And then I will point out the fact that Marner played with Tavares. I'm ready guys.....fire away.

We do have a circular firing squad feel going on right now
We're rehashing the same **** over and over again

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Which is fine, I think that Tavares basically finds the best way to optimize his line. It doesn't mean he couldn't score 47 without Marner, he just chose to optimize his linemates like he always does. Unlike Marner, he is not a one trick pony. He knows that Marner is a one trick pony, and he adjusted his style of play to help Marner become the best version of Marner.
One of the worst posts in this thread. Calling marner a one trick pony is the same as calling matthews a one trick pony. Hilarious the length people are going to belittle our franchise winger. Though even for me it's pretty ironic that this is what most fans(probabaly my self as well) were doing last july/August when the nylander reports were looking piss poor and a hold out was on the horizon. We are going to trash and bash marner until he signs his deal and than we will simply trash his contract. Sucks but nylander went through it and had a atrocious year. Marner will be bashed daily till he gets his new deal. If he isnt an idiot and doesnt holdout costing himself months of playing time leading to his own poor performance.

Reactions: diceman934

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Agreed, both excellent players feeding off and making the other better
Long may it continue

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem, mixed with some condescension and arrogance your intellect can't cash

Your post is complete drivel and pushing back against comments like, he's our best player, hahaha, he's driving the Tavares line, give me a break or he should get 11M or Matthews money with no sane justification is not only a pleasure but a privilege

You trot off to bed now kiddo

We do have a circular firing squad feel going on right now
We're rehashing the same **** over and over again
Yep. There are certain players that you are not allowed to be realistic about. It's confusing. Dubas is an idiot for giving a player market value (Nylander), an idiot for giving the best natural 5v5 goal scorer of the past 3 seasons his money, but he needs to give a 20ish goal scorer who played with John Tavares and barely improved Tavares' point total the same money as Tavares, even though him playing with Tavares resulted in a 25 point improvement?

We have now hit lalala crazy land.

$9.5 on 7 years....max.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
One of the worst posts in this thread. Calling marner a one trick pony is the same as calling matthews a one trick pony. Hilarious the length people are going to belittle our franchise winger. Though even for me it's pretty ironic that this is what most fans(probabaly my self as well) were doing last july/August when the nylander reports were looking piss poor and a hold out was on the horizon. We are going to trash and bash marner until he signs his deal and than we will simply trash his contract. Sucks but nylander went through it and had a atrocious year. Marner will be bashed daily till he gets his new deal. If he isnt an idiot and doesnt holdout costing himself months of playing time leading to his own poor performance.
Marner is a passer. He can't kill penalties. He improved by 25 points by playing with Tavares. Tavares improved by 4 points.

I think this is a huge problem with Leaf nation. They are too emotionally invested in their players. He HAS NEVER made anyone a better player. He's made them different players. A shooter instead of a passer.

Reactions: Menzinger

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marner is a passer. He can't kill penalties. He improved by 25 points by playing with Tavares. Tavares improved by 4 points.

I think this is a huge problem with Leaf nation. They are too emotionally invested in their players. He HAS NEVER made anyone a better player. He's made them different players. A shooter instead of a passer.

He can't kill penalties? We were pretty decent on the pk in the regular season with marner and Hyman being our go to options. He made bozak better helped him become 55 point player after being under 50 points years prior, got kadri another 30 goal season after his horrible mid season play last year. Marner was going to improve anyway. He has been labelled a franchise guy compared to Patrick kane/ claude Giroux since being drafted. Kane went from 75ish points to 88 points in his 2jd to 3rd year. A similar jump would have happened for mitch going from 70 point player to 85ish point player. Teams league wide would be lost in joy having a 22 year old 95 point winger who just finished out of the top 10 in scoring.

Matthews hasnt made anyone better. Nylander was a 61 point rookie, then no improvement with 61 points again in his sophomore year. Marleau got worse playing with him from last year to this. Matthews turns players into playmakers.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Look, I just don't think that anything over $9 to $9.5 is reasonable for a 20ish goal playmaking winger.

Can we not at least agree on that?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I thought I explained it....Tavares becomes what he needs to be to make his line more effective. He's one of the most intelligent players in the league. He's a chameleon.

2 great players on a line. One isn't driving the other. There was a symbiotic relationship. It wasn't Tavares sitting there and Marner doing all the work like some of these normally knowledgeable posters keep saying. Because John Tavares was on the ice....every team has always historically designed game plans around him. I actually think that Marner was very selfish this season and basically killed a lot of the production of the line, as he should have done a lot more give and goes.....because it did make him a one trick pony, especially on the PP. He needed to move the puck far more quickly.
Isn't it Babcock's fault for not switching the power play rotation with the #1 line since all the other teams knew what Marner was always going to do.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Look, I just don't think that anything over $9 to $9.5 is reasonable for a 20ish goal playmaking winger.

Can we not at least agree on that?
I'm a little bit over your range in that I'd un pleasantly except 10 mill on a 8 year deal ( we payed nylander 500k more than he was worth and everyone said it was fine and wasnt worth losing a player like him which I agree with). Marner doesnt deserve 11-12 million etc b/c he does not have the track record of being a top 10 point producer. If he had finished in the top 15 last year in scoring he would have a more compelling argument. If he wants that much money their are two choices for him. One a 2-3 year bridge at 5.5-6 million. Here he gets to prove that he is a 100 point top 15 player in the league who can dominate on a yearly basis. Otherwise be ready for a trade that dubas has to look at if he wint relent on his ask. Marner will be in contention for the best winger in the world in a few years. Sadly for him he isnt right now and he should see his 2nd contract impacted by it. He will need to take a sacrifice in terms of his own self evaluated worth. We disgustingly overpaid AM34 but we cant be making the same mistake with 16. Take advantage that he has more comparables league wide and that he still does not have a long enough history of being a top 10 point producer.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews hasnt made anyone better. Nylander was a 61 point rookie, then no improvement with 61 points again in his sophomore year. Marleau got worse playing with him from last year to this. Matthews turns players into playmakers.
The way you describe Matthews reminds me of how Mats Sundin didn't have any great players on his line. Remember how he turned Jonas Hoglund into a 30 goal scorer.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He can't kill penalties? We were pretty decent on the pk in the regular season with marner and Hyman being our go to options. He made bozak better helped him become 55 point player after being under 50 points years prior, got kadri another 30 goal season after his horrible mid season play last year. Marner was going to improve anyway. He has been labelled a franchise guy compared to Patrick kane/ claude Giroux since being drafted. Kane went from 75ish points to 88 points in his 2jd to 3rd year. A similar jump would have happened for mitch going from 70 point player to 85ish point player. Teams league wide would be lost in joy having a 22 year old 95 point winger who just finished out of the top 10 in scoring.

Are you seriously going to do the stat thing? Bozak's 2 prior seasons where he played a full season were 49 and 47 points. he had a 59 game season that he had 49 points. He had 35 points in 57 games, which was a 50 point pace. That isn't statistically significant. Marner had 2 goals and 21 points in 35 games with them.

The Leafs dropped to 19th from the top 10 in PK. They were top 5 before they put Marner on it last year full time.

Kadri had 32 goals and 61 points with Komarov and Brown, and they 32 goals and 55 points with Marner and Marleau. It could definitely be argued that Kadri had as much or more impact on their point totals after being put on that line. Why is is Marner who gets the credit, for that? Marner was brutal with Bozak and JVR, who ended up being better with Connor Brown.

So please point out to me the Tavares level players that Giroux and Kane played with??

I love Marner. But he is being given credit for things he shouldn't be. That's an issue.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Are you seriously going to do the stat thing? Bozak's 2 prior seasons where he played a full season were 49 and 47 points. he had a 59 game season that he had 49 points. He had 35 points in 57 games, which was a 50 point pace. That isn't statistically significant. Marner had 2 goals and 21 points in 35 games with them.

The Leafs dropped to 19th from the top 10 in PK. They were top 5 before they put Marner on it last year full time.

Kadri had 32 goals and 61 points with Komarov and Brown, and they 32 goals and 55 points with Marner and Marleau. It could definitely be argued that Kadri had as much or more impact on their point totals after being put on that line. Why is is Marner who gets the credit, for that? Marner was brutal with Bozak and JVR, who ended up being better with Connor Brown.

So please point out to me the Tavares level players that Giroux and Kane played with??

I love Marner. But he is being given credit for things he shouldn't be. That's an issue.
Bozak and JVR here were regarded as the support players. During their time with 16 marner was the one everyone was pointing as who drove the line. Jvr was the finisher, and bozak the in between guy who could complete chances and set up looks. Marner was the player who generated the scoring chances, he was the one with the task of zone entries and finding the crafty passes to jvr/bozak. Its revisionist history to suggest that those two were the main guys on the line when for nearly 1 and a half years everyone was pointing that marner was the driver of that line.

Tavares played with Okopso who was a 65 point skilled player before concussions got to him.

He played with Josh bailey who was a 70 point player last year when JT got 86 points.

JT was used differently as an islander. His production at 5v5 wasnt as great and he was the player who had the pp run through him(thus he got more points off the pp). At 5v5 no one would deny that JT was tasked with driving the offense on that line. Go through an JT high light package(not the best way but you can see the types of plays that were being made when he was in the offensive zone). He would be digging for the puck along the boards and coming away with the puck before looking to find his wingers. He was the primary source of offense generation.

This year marner took the role of being the offensive catlyst for that line. JT still had his moments where he took things over. However the play usually started on 16s stick and ended in the back off the net off of 91s. It was actually odd to watch the series against the Bruins as JT tried to be more assertive and generate self offense passing off touches to marner which lead to offensive confusion for that line. I'm not trying to say marner is the only reason JT had the year that he did. Or that without marner that line wod fail. However the make up off that line is such that marner is going to he utilized as the source of offense generation initially and JT cleaning up pucks long the boards and the front of the net. If you reverse roles both marner and JT would see hits to their totals as JT's slow skating style is easier to defender for better mobile defensive teams and marners lower goal scoring potential would result in fewer chances created by 91 being capitalized. Both of them benefited equally from playing with eachother and both are elite players. Marner from my viewing of the 82 games was better and will be better moving forward. I dont really care if people think JT is better. Both are leaf players and are stars. As long as 16 signs a fair deal I will cheer him as my favourite player. If he tries to penny pinch every dollar out of the leafs and gives no damns about loyalty to the organization than I hope Dubas treats him like any other asset.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
What? He was the first guy out on the PK for most of this year and did a great job.

Why on earth would you just outright lie like that? We all watched the games. WTF are you thinking?
Big reason why the PK was so putrid in the playoffs. Fifteenth on the PK of 16 teams. Eighteenth in regular season play. Drifts all over the place. Terrible on the PK and a big reason special teams were so bad.

Last edited:

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
He's an excellent player who's feed off and working with our best puck retrieving LW and a genuine no debate 1C, he and Tavares work very well together but saying Marner is driving the line is wrong

There's 2 line drivers on that line working together, not one carrying the other

Tavares was one of the best players in the league before he even got here and carried his line with at times very average linemates

Bull**** Marner is driving that line for him

Kiwi give it up. We know this is about Nylander with you. Last year when Nylander was holding out you were one of his biggest supporters. He has a terrible year. You have to accept the fact that Nylander and Marner are not in the same level right now. There is no need for you to try to diminish what Marner has done. He has progressed every year unlike Nylander who you keep making excuses for.

Marner drives the play every time he is on the ice. Stop stat watching and actually watch the games and not be so critical of Marner to boost Nylander worth. I’m not picking on you because you are not alone. The most critical of Marner are the most complimentary of Nylander.

Reactions: diceman934

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Big reason why the PK was so putrid in the playoffs. Fifteenth on the PK of 16 teams. Eighteenth in regular season play. Drifts all over the place. Terrible on the PK and a big reason special teams were so bad.
Maybe the reason for that was Mike Babcock who kept playing Zach Hyman on the penalty kill when he had a torn ACL. Do you remember Game 6 on the first penalty kill Hyman lost the draw and the Bruins scored seconds later. If he's not playing hurt maybe that never happens.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Maybe the reason for that was Mike Babcock who kept playing Zach Hyman on the penalty kill when he had a torn ACL. Do you remember Game 6 on the first penalty kill Hyman lost the draw and the Bruins scored seconds later. If he's not playing hurt maybe that never happens.
Zach Hymans injury didn’t cause Marner to leave his man on multiple occasions throughout the year and playoffs though. Leafs PK was not good all year. Marner played a role in that. Hyman was on a much better PK before this year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Zach Hymans injury didn’t cause Marner to leave his man on multiple occasions throughout the year and playoffs though. Leafs PK was not good all year. Marner played a role in that. Hyman was on a much better PK before this year.
The main point is Hyman should not have been playing with a torn ACL, never mind that he was on the top penalty kill line with Marner. You don't think that Matthews, Tavares or Gauthier could have taken the defensive zone faceoff on the penalty instead of Hyman? At least they were natural centres and Hyman is still a winger taking that important faceoff.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
The main point is Hyman should not have been playing with a torn ACL, never mind that he was on the top penalty kill line with Marner. You don't think that Matthews, Tavares or Gauthier could have taken the defensive zone faceoff on the penalty instead of Hyman? At least they were natural centres and Hyman is still a winger taking that important faceoff.
If Hyman wasn’t cleared to play he wouldn’t have been playing. The ACL narrative has to stop. Hyman has been a top PKer for this team. Put blame where it belongs. Marner is a terrible penalty killer.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Eh. You don't know what you're looking at. Can't help you.:dunno:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Worst pk I have ever seen. We could have iced better from the Marlies and here is the kicker... It's not the players, it was DJ Smith and staff that dropped the ball never fixing it. Worst PK in a PO series, fire Smith at the least, guys gotta go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad