Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
There's one major elephant in the room with that demand:

Mikko Rantanen average PP TOI: 4:05

Mitch Marner average PP TOI: 2:35

Mikko Rantanen EV TOI: 16:44

Mitch Marner EV TOI: 15:53

Mikko Rantanen TOI/GP: 20:51

Mitch Marner TOI/GP: 19:49

Less PP time, less ES time, MORE PK time (minutes where you just don't produce). They will not receive the same contracts, you can clearly see from the different usage pointed out above that Marner has his offensive production artificially suppressed.
Suppressed by playing with Tavares? :huh:
Hey, you want suppressed, play with Johnsson and Kapanen all year. And still try to put up elite numbers.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Hey, you want suppressed, play with Johnsson and Kapanen all year. And still try to put up elite numbers.

We said that about Hyman too though. I was on board with the excuses last year but Johnsson and Kapanen aren't bad enough to dampen elite production. They're a bad fit given that they're all primarily shooters, but I'm not as eager to give a free pass this time. Not that he needs a pass, his ES numbers were great.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Heck kappy and Johnny are a dream compared to Hyman and brown.

Auston matthews literally centered the previous years AHL third line and was second in goals in the entire league.

Reactions: cookie and kb

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Did you even read my post?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Huh? If you go back to the Dallas game. Starting when Marner had a 5 pt game.

Marner 26games. 12 goals. 32 pts.
Reality
Mathews regular season and playoffs total points 218 points in 232 games

Marner regular season and playoff points total points 241 points in 261 games

Ppg over their careers Mathews .939 ppg
Marner .923 ppg. Their production over their careers are very close in ppg and the gap has narrowed since last season. One scorers a lot the other gets a ton of assists. Anyone thinking Marner is not worth within a million of Mathews money is lying to them selfs.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
and when you watch the game it's easy to see than MM is the one carrying the puck up the ice the vast majority of the time and creating the majority of the plays while also buzzing all over the ice and being in a better defensive position since he's the one above the puck in the o-zone in position to support the D

the majority of these stats mean little by themselves but yet people love to stat mine to find anything that may help there argument

the funniest thing will be how many of the people trying to knock what he may be asking for will be doing a 180 and defending whatever he signs for as fair market value just like they did when the Nylander/Mathews contracts were announced
Tavares - 4 point improvement over last season.
Hyman - 1 point improvement over last season.

Marner - 25 point improvement over last season.

Who carried who now?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Reality

Marner .923 ppg. Their production over their careers are very close in ppg and the gap has narrowed since last season. One scorers a lot the other gets a ton of assists. Anyone thinking Marner is not worth within a million of Mathews money is lying to them selfs.

Reality. You don’t combine the regular season and playoffs.

Show me a time when Marner significantly outscored Matthews in 2017-2018?

Again. Matthews is literally the best 5 on 5 goal scorer in the game. Despite playing with the worst line mates and less ice time than players that are close to him.

Matthews is top 2 in the league at what he is best at. Despite injuries.

Marner has never finished top 10 at what he does.

It’s just reality.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I suppose these new high salaries for the young up and coming players are raising the bar for all players,but what I don't appreciate about it is ,they ain't won diddly yet! None of these younger players(as fun as they are to watch) are as good as Paddy Kane(for eg) in his prime,or arguably,even now. He got paid along with his teams leader and mate Toews after they won! These kids have not and might never win anything and are handcuffing (no money to sign good support players) their respective teams by demanding new benchmark money.

Chicago had to do some serious fanaglin' to keep a competitive team,it worked for them, but in today's market,I doubt it will let other teams create a dynasty type roster

Also,this 'offer sheet 'talk is nonsense! The 4 firsts is a huge price to pay that has regret written all over it. Not to mention the the actual cap hit. Imagine the pressure on that player,as well as the management that signed him. So much could go wrong!

How much worse is Tampa without Point,but have 10 or 11 million to spend ,plus 8 firsts over the next 4 years....See ya Braden,or Mikko,Or Mitchy.

I'm sure that every armchair Leaf GM would have fun spending not only this years extra cap money but next years as well (no Marleau). Then to have 2 first rounders every year to wheel and deal with...lotsa fun. No Mitchy ,but I bet they shore up that D nicely or very likely entice another high profile winger to come an d play with Matthews and /or JT. I would have no problem holding the door for the player and agent with that kind of compensation and left over cash to spend!

Reactions: cookie

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Reality. You don’t combine the regular season and playoffs.

Show me a time when Marner significantly outscored Matthews in 2017-2018?

Again. Matthews is literally the best 5 on 5 goal scorer in the game. Despite playing with the worst line mates and less ice time than players that are close to him.

Matthews is top 2 in the league at what he is best at. Despite injuries.

Marner has never finished top 10 at what he does.

It’s just reality.

Just reality:
Marner 4th in assist this season.
3rd in Even strength assists. 6th in even strength points. At least understand what you are talking about. No top 10 my rear end!
These are season totals not based on per game as Mathew has not finished in the top 10 of any stat since his rookie season when he finished 2nd in goals.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Reality

Any reason you didn't put up the exact goal scoring numbers over that time period by any chance? I think they may tell a bit of a story

One guy is an elite goal scorer and a 1C, the other guy is an assist machine and a winger

Anybody thinking Marner deserves within a million dollars of Matthews is beyond saving

**** it, let's just give the good Torronna boy max money since reality seems to not longer exist

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Just reality:
Marner 4th in assist this season.
3rd in Even strength assists. 6th in even strength points. At least understand what you are talking about. No top 10 my rear end!
These are season totals not based on per game as Mathew has not finished in the top 10 of any stat since his rookie season when he finished 2nd in goals.

Yes. He finished second in the league in goals.

He has combined over the course of 3 seasons to be the best goal scorer in many categories.

Generally i don’t count assists on their own. Because well the NHL doesn’t. It’s goals and points. For rocket and Ross.

But ok to be fair those are true.

Can you show me where Marner significantly outscored matthews in 2017-2018?

Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marner lead the team in scoring he carried that line. To say otherwise is dishonest.

Bull****, he's playing with a franchise level 1C who doesn't and didn't need Marner to drive that line

They complimented each other and to say Marner drove that line with Tavares on it is just wow, bloody wow

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Heck kappy and Johnny are a dream compared to Hyman and brown.

Auston matthews literally centered the previous years AHL third line and was second in goals in the entire league.
In fairness, it was an AHL championship third line. :p
Next year, AM will get Willy back (or Bracco maybe, if NK is dealt)....he’ll be fine. Hopefully, he gets unleashed abit and gets top line toi.
That’s a perk Marner got before re-upping, more time, more roles.
I don’t really buy a deal being close because the prez sat in.
Iirc, he met with Willy a few times too.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yes. He finished second in the league in goals.

He has combined over the course of 3 seasons to be the best goal scorer in many categories.

Generally i don’t count assists on their own. Because well the NHL doesn’t. It’s goals and points. For rocket and Ross.

But ok to be fair those are true.

Can you show me where Marner significantly outscored matthews in 2017-2018?
Lol. You simply want to argue. Marner finished this year with more points and more points per game. Lead the team in scoring and finished among the best in the league in assist totals and even strength production.

You do not count assists lol well everyone else does.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner lead the team in scoring he carried that line. To say otherwise is dishonest.
Players as good as Tavares and Marner aren’t carried.
Both can carry a line, that’s not required anymore.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lol. You simply want to argue. Marner finished this year with more points and more points per game. Lead the team in scoring and finished among the best in the league in assist totals and even strength production.

You do not count assists lol well everyone else does.

Sorry. What is the assist award called? You think people consider the league leader in assists like goals and points?

He’s a 37 assist player?

You hear that often?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Bull****, he's playing with a franchise level 1C who doesn't and didn't need Marner to drive that line

They complimented each other and to say Marner drove that line with Tavares on it is just wow, bloody wow
What would you look at to determine who is driving a lines production?

Assists primary assists is the best stat. Marner was 3 in the league in primary assists he had 53. JT had 25. JT would not have had 47 goals this year without Marner. Marner proved the year before he could produce at a similar pace playing with Kadri and Marleau as he did for the last 40 games the previous season which included the playoffs.

In 10 years in the NHL JT just had more goals then assist this year for the first time. He drove production on his line in every other year as he was the man passing the puck to his line mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad