Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hossa played all playoffs then his skin condition from equipment became too risky .... in the summer. Not wearing equipment
They ruined it for everyone IMO, that was the last straw for LTIR abuse.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
So your argument now is "The leafs pay more, and there are no logical rules and it makes no sense."

Uh... okay.

That's my precise point. The contracts Dubas is handing out make absolutely no logical sense based on precedence.

Stay in the present and future, because that is how Willie, Matthews, and Marner are negotiating ... They aren't looking at contracts and players from other teams.

Willie new Matthews wanted 12+
Matthews knew he was going to chase 12+ and didn't give a f*** about the Cap, team, etc
Marner outpointed Tavares, Matthews and 98% of the league...

He wants to be paid like a guy who outpointed his 11+ aav teammates ... no other players or contracts mean anything now

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Good grief. Marner was outpoi ting Matthews by a large degree with Kadri and Marleau

I went back to marners 4 point game.

Since that game

Marner 47 games 20g and 48 pts
Auston. 36 games 21g and 37 pts

That’s with Matthews getting a concussion and a separated shoulder.

Your bias is completely clouding you from simple facts

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Stay in the present and future, because that is how Willie, Matthews, and Marner are negotiating ... They aren't looking at contracts and players from other teams.

Willie new Matthews wanted 12+
Matthews knew he was going to chase 12+ and didn't give a **** about the Cap, team, etc
Marner outpointed Tavares, Matthews and 98% of the league...

He wants to be paid like a guy who outpointed his 11+ aav teammates ... no other players or contracts mean anything now
So whether your gm was a random 7 year old pulled out of the subways, or someone with 20 years of elite experience at the job, it wouldn't have made a lick of difference?

There "are no rules" and gm's are 100% just products of chance and luck?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Dubas at work...

tenor.gif

Reactions: ACC1224 and Kiwi

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
So whether your gm was a random 7 year old pulled out of the subways, or someone with 20 years of elite experience at the job, it wouldn't have made a lick of difference?

There "are no rules" and gm's are 100% just products of chance and luck?

I will repeat...

Marner wants to be paid like the guy who outpointed his 11+ aav teammates ... no other players or contracts matter... You would take the same stance also if you were Marner.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
This is not a shot against Marner but when Auston Matthews played all 82 games in his rookie season he lead Toronto in points and he could have done that again the last 2 seasons if he never missed any games.
Conjecture. Playing 82 games takes a toll on every player. Some players just dont make it through a full season regularly. I really doubt we will see Mathhews regularly complete a full season.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Other than Ovechkin and his 16%, is there any precedent of a winger making 13% of the cap off of their elc?
For reference: Ovechkin scored 160 goals/310 points over his elc. Marner 67 goals/224 points.

Kane was 11%. His elc totals? 76 goals/230 points.

Because the leafs have an expensive centre, they now have to give unprecedented contracts to their wingers? Is there any precedent for that on other teams?

Seems like all of the rules get recreated when it comes to the Maple Leafs...

Wasn't Kane a 5 year deal? 9.5 on a shorter term, sure.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Thank god social media wasn't around during the Clark, Gilmour days. Can just imagine trashing one to build up another.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Fixed it. After Jan

Ok. After the shoulder injury they had the same PPG.

Why don’t you show me which cherry picked stat you want to use.

I literally picked starting with marners 4 pt and 5 pt games as starting points.
Both times Matthews had a way higher GPG and slightly higher ppg.

Despite injuries.

Show me what you mean? Or is it the mono factor?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Dubas at work...

tenor.gif

I enjoy that meme, pretty apt to

Thank god social media wasn't around during the Clark, Gilmour days. Can just imagine trashing one to build up another.

Very few people in this thread have said Marner isn't an excellent player, that's hugely different than pointing out 10M+ is rediculous money and we shouldn't give it to him
Or that he's not a comparable to an elite goal scoring center like Matthews

That isn't thrashing, that's fair

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Wasn't Kane a 5 year deal? 9.5 on a shorter term, sure.

I'm perfectly fine with 11% of the cap times five years (still a slight overpayment compared to Kane, but I'd still accept it at this point).

That would be 9.1x5

I'm perfectly ok with that.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I will repeat...

Marner wants to be paid like the guy who outpointed his 11+ aav teammates ... no other players or contracts matter... You would take the same stance also if you were Marner.
Are you saying this is largely Dubas fault for dramatically overpaying matthews? Because if so, I'd be in agreement.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Conjecture. Playing 82 games takes a toll on every player. Some players just dont make it through a full season regularly. I really doubt we will see Mathhews regularly complete a full season.
Since Matthews has played all 82 games during his rookie season I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and I say he can do that again.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
I'm perfectly fine with 11% of the cap times five years (still a slight overpayment compared to Kane, but I'd still accept it at this point).

That would be 9.1x5

I'm perfectly ok with that.

Okay yes.

Now if the cap goes up to 100 million by the end of his deal. How much are his next 3 years worth? Lets go low.. 13.5 which is a fair low number I'd say..

45.5 (5 years @ 9.1) + 40.5 (13.5 @ 3 years) =86 million...

10.75 per season..

Alright thats where im at 10.5-11 over 8 years if we go long.

And I'd be happy with that, I think the cap has potential to be more then 100 million by then and him to be worth more then 13.5%. Also he can probably get 9.5 over 5 if he wanted it.

I think the main thing I am getting at is people who would only be happy on an 8 year deal for under 10, don't really understand that it's not going to happen that way.

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Okay yes.

Now if the cap goes up to 100 million by the end of his deal. How much are his next 3 years worth? Lets go low.. 13.5 which is a fair low number I'd say..

45.5 (5 years @ 9.1) + 40.5 (13.5 @ 3 years) =86 million...

10.75 per season..

Alright thats where im at 10.5-11 over 8 years if we go long.

And I'd be happy with that, I think the cap has potential to be more then 100 million by then and him to be worth more then 13.5%. Also he can probably get 9.5 over 5 if he wanted it.

I think the main thing I am getting at is people who would only be happy on an 8 year deal for under 10, don't really understand that it's not going to happen that way.
Yeah, I mean... to be honest, I reconsider. I'm cool witth 11 mil times 8. The 8 year term is the key. I concede.

Reactions: MLSE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad