Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
And ehlers signed after 1 30 pt and 1 60 pt season.
Ehlers had a 27 point pace at 5 on 5 in that 72 game seasons while Nylander had 31 5 on 5 points in his 81 games.

The following year Ehlers put up 44 5 on 5 points with Nylander putting up 45 5 on 5 points.

Nylander got almost 7 million for 6 years and give up 1 UFA season. Ehlers got 6 million for 7 years and gave up 3 UFA seasons.

I would say Nylander definitely got overpaid in comparision to Ehlers but it is debatable that Ehlers took a bit of a discount.

Edit: I'm not disagreeing that Nylander had a better ELC than Ehlers, he definitely did.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ehlers had a 27 point pace at 5 on 5 in that 72 game seasons while Nylander had 31 5 on 5 points in his 81 games.

The following year Ehlers put up 44 5 on 5 points with Nylander putting up 45 5 on 5 points.

Nylander got almost 7 million for 6 years and give up 1 UFA season. Ehlers got 6 million for 7 years and gave up 3 UFA seasons.

I would say Nylander definitely got overpaid in comparision to Ehlers but it is debatable that Ehlers took a bit of a discount.

Edit: I'm not disagreeing that Nylander had a better ELC than Ehlers, he definitely did.

There are multiple articles that compared ELC performance and contracts..... they all were close to what he signed for. And some even predicted exactly what he would get

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
There are multiple articles that compared ELC performance and contracts..... they all were close to what he signed for. And some even predicted exactly what he would get
That is cool, however when you look at the raw numbers it looks like Nylander got slightly overpaid. Maybe by like half a million or so considering he only gave up 1 UFA year while his best comparables gave up 2 and 3 UFA years while also getting paid less money per year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I really like how you shaved off some of nylanders numbers

2016/17 = 35 5 on 5 points
2017/18 = 49 5 on 5 points

Just skim a few points here and there who will notice right?

Edit: source hockey reference.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Only four teams have made the playoffs the last 4 seasons.

If you give up four first rounders in an offer-sheet, almost 1 is guaranteed to be a lottery pick, especially since a team with the open space to spend that much money on one player is generally weaker.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I really like how you shaved off some of nylanders numbers

2016/17 = 35 5 on 5 points
2017/18 = 49 5 on 5 points

Just skim a few points here and there who will notice right?

Edit: source hockey reference.
Lol wow a little salty for no reason...

I too used hockey reference at 5 on 5. Maybe you were looking at ES as at 5 on 5 Nylander had:

2016/17: 11 goals and 20 assists for 31 points
2017/18: 12 goals and 33 assists for 45 points

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
If Marner wants to be a universal hero to this fan base and market, all he’s gotta do is take the reins and sign his own contract. Not the one his dad wants.
Would make him a legend.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Only four teams have made the playoffs the last 4 seasons.

If you give up four first rounders in an offer-sheet, almost 1 is guaranteed to be a lottery pick, especially since a team with the open space to spend that much money on one player is generally weaker.

What are you talking about now?

8 teams from each conference make the playoffs each year.

Do you actually believe this stuff you type?

Reactions: Cor

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Do you actually read the stuff others type?

He meant consecutively. Only 4 teams have made the playoffs each of the last 4 years.

I haven’t checked to see if it was true. Off the top of my head that would be PIT, NSH, WSH, SJS? BOS missed in 15-16.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

:laugh: :laugh:

vvvvv

Do you actually read the stuff others type?

He meant consecutively. Only 4 teams have made the playoffs each of the last 4 years.

I haven’t checked to see if it was true. Off the top of my head that would be PIT, NSH, WSH, SJS? BOS missed in 15-16.

Reactions: kb

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
If you are going to use McDavid, at least put them on the same cap scale. McDavid got that money on a 75 mill cap. Matthews got his on an 83 mill cap, which if you go by cap percentage, would be the equivalence of 10.5 mill for 5 years on a 75 mill cap (or McDavid would have got 13.83 mill on an 83 mill cap if he signed at this time). That means Matthews should have got 13.28 mill if he were to get a 12 mill AAV deal on a 75 mill cap, which I am pretty sure is close to what Matthews was asking for on an 8 year deal.
Ah... so with Matthews, you've used the cap ceiling of when the contract STARTS, but with McDavid you've used the cap ceiling of when the contract was SIGNED. That sure is fair.

To be consistent Wouldn't it be Matthews at 83, and McDavid at 79.5? That takes Matthews to 14% of cap, and McDavid to 15.7% This messes up all the numbers you just gave.

And once we start playing cap percentage comparison games with Marner vs other post elc wingers... things get dicey.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I doubt we see an offer sheet because it goes beyond just Marner. Yes this time it’ll be Marner. From now on RFAs will hold out to get overpaid. It really hurts every GM in the league to start a precedent like this. Every team will have a very hard time negotiating with RFAs

coastalview

Sep 11, 2018
I doubt we see an offer sheet because it goes beyond just Marner. Yes this time it’ll be Marner. From now on RFAs will hold out to get overpaid. It really hurts every GM in the league to start a precedent like this. Every team will have a very hard time negotiating with RFAs

clubs that allow their most elite rfa to go unsigned until they are eligible for an offer sheet risk that occurring
there are so many gms that have missed out on drafting elite young talent when they were available in the draft
and they are under amazing pressure to correct their mistakes
in order to preserve their tenure with their team

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I'm most interested to see what Rantanen gets. Both wingers and Rantanen had a slighty higher PPG total and scored 30 goals playing less games. Keep hearing Marner deserves 12 million so I'm guessing Rantanen deserves 12.5 or is it just different if you play for the Leafs?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm most interested to see what Rantanen gets. Both wingers and Rantanen had a slighty higher PPG total and scored 30 goals playing less games. Keep hearing Marner deserves 12 million so I'm guessing Rantanen deserves 12.5 or is it just different if you play for the Leafs?

Marner's camp wants theirs done first, no doubt about it.

Internal pay scale vs external pay scale. Marner's camp looks stupid if they're demanding Matthews money if Rantanen signs for ~$10.5M...

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Take the 4 first and the $12 million cap space and go UFA shopping if that's the case...Dubas could even wheel and deal those picks.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad