Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
What would you rather have? 8 years of prime Dougy Gilmour OR a Todd Gill and four mid-low 1st round draft picks?

Dude. They are not saying trading him for spare parts. They are saying either he signs a fair contract and if he wants more money, explore other options. If there is a trade that makes the team better then that’s an option. You argue constantly with everyone on here like you are always right. Marner is awesome and yes it would suck trading him. Or having him offer sheeted. But if he wants a ridiculous amount of money you have to look at different options.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
In no way are they comparable. You can't look at Pastrnaks' U19 and U20 production and compare it to Nylander's U21 and U22 production.

By his U21 season, Pastrnak has shown to be a better player than Nylander has ever shown to be.

Well duh.

However, at the time of signings, Nylander had really good numbers. His 5v5 numbers were better (says a lot considering Pasta's line), 10% less Ozone starts, 1:20/less per game, less PP time. In his 3rd year he only had 12 PPP.

20yo Nylander and 20yo Pasta are pretty damn close.

Lets not forget that Bostons 2 best players make around 6.8. That also factors in, just like it will for Marner......

It's pretty accepted that Willy was over paid by 500k, but looking at the new contracts, and the likes of Skinner getting 9..... Willys contract is looking much better.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It absolutely boggles my mind how quick some people are willing to just give up on Marner. Its ridiculous.

This kid has and will continue to break records for this club.

You know how many players have scored more points in a season for the last 25 years by their U22 season? SEVEN.
You know how many players have scored more points in a season in our franchise's history? FIVE.
You know how many players have scored more assists in a season in our franchise's history? TWO.

Not only is Marner one of the most skilled players in the NHL, but he has also become one of our better PK options.

All this by the age of 22! He has shown nothing but growth since his rookie season... imagine what he can do when he is 24, 25, 26!!

But Nooooooo.... people want to trade him, because he wants to be compensated adequately. Ironically enough, these people never called out Nylander and Matthews demanding they get traded for signing above market value.

If his demands will cripple the chances of ever winning anything then he needs to be traded.

Granted, Nylander should be traded long before it ever comes to that.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If his demands will cripple the chances of ever winning anything then he needs to be traded.

Granted, Nylander should be traded long before it ever comes to that.

Depends on the returning package.
If Willie can get Pesce one for one while Marner can get Seth Jones one for one. I think I will take Seth Jones and Willie than Pesce and Marner.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Depends on the returning package.
If Willie can get Pesce one for one while Marner can get Seth Jones one for one. I think I will take Seth Jones and Willie than Pesce and Marner.

You won’t get much for Nylander, getting rid of his cap hit is great asset.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I've seen posters say that his contract will be a steal and others say that his contract is fine.

When a team is looking to trade for a player, they dont care that nylander took a slightly lower percent of the current cap than pasta. They care about the fact that nylander is paid more than pasta. Therefore I dont really take cap percentage that seriously.

Yes goals are harder to get. But isnt it better to have a player who can get the most out of his linemates by being the playmaker, instead of just looking to be the finisher?

I personally think playmakers are underappreciated. Or maybe its just goal scorers are overrated.

This is a perfect candidate for those "Said no one ever" memes.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
9M for 6 or 10M for 7 would be a discounted rate.

Again, what can we get in return that makes us better?

Bull****, 10M×7 would be the largest RFA contract handed out to a winger straight off his ECL in league history, by a distance and your out of your mind if you think that's Marner taking a "discount"

I'd happily take offersheet compensation before I'd give him 12.5M, hell if he thinks he's worth more than 10M over 7 years i'd trade him then to

It's hilarious to me you think you can significantly overpay in a hard cap league then think your going to make us better, unbelievable

Reactions: Nifty Willy and kb

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Cap percentage means something especially if the cap is gonna keep increasing. Look at Crosbys contract. he signed for 17.30% of the cap which was a 8.7 mil cap hit when he signed his deal after his ELC. That'd be 14.3 mil right now. Then his deal after that he signed for 14.50% which again was 8.7 mil cap and today that'd be around 12 mil. The more the cap goes up the better that Nylander contract looks, especially when he's gonna be a 70+ point guy imo.

I agree playmakers are under appreciated but people who score consistently will always be paid more

I understand how the cap going up changes things.

I just dont agree with clearly inferior players making more than better players due to 1-2 seasons of cap changes. This goes for nylander, Matthew's and marner.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I checked out the main boards Marner thread. It is what I expected. A troll fest. Lol. Having to read the same Sens fan that was here trolling a while ago explain his amazing knowledge about leafs players is painful. You would think Sens fans have more important things to worry about like whether they will have a team to even cheer for.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You are making Willie into Loui Eriksson or Milan Lucic. He is not a cap dump at all.

Recency bias will make it almost impossible to trade him during the draft . Every GM just watched the best Cup final in years and know Nylander is not suited for that brand of hockey.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Dude. They are not saying trading him for spare parts. They are saying either he signs a fair contract and if he wants more money, explore other options. If there is a trade that makes the team better then that’s an option. You argue constantly with everyone on here like you are always right. Marner is awesome and yes it would suck trading him. Or having him offer sheeted. But if he wants a ridiculous amount of money you have to look at different options.

Trading him for four mid-late 1sts and a second is spare parts...

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Bull****, 10M×7 would be the largest RFA contract handed out to a winger straight off his ECL in league history, by a distance and your out of your mind if you think that's Marner taking a "discount"

I'd happily take offersheet compensation before I'd give him 12.5M, hell if he thinks he's worth more than 10M over 7 years i'd trade him then to

It's hilarious to me you think you can significantly overpay in a hard cap league then think your going to make us better, unbelievable

Well no shit, it'll be the highest handed out to a winger straight of his ELC. Who was the last winger to put up 90+ points in their last ELC season? What was the salary cap at back then?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Recency bias will make it almost impossible to trade him during the draft . Every GM just watched the best Cup final in years and know Nylander is not suited for that brand of hockey.
Yes, you trade the youngster coming off a poor season, :loony:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So? Dubas doesn’t need to trade Willie unless it is a package that make sense. Like I said, Willie is not a cap dump like Lucic.

Reactions: kb

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
After this is all said and done, I'm probably never going to look at the kid the same way again.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Trading him for four mid-late 1sts and a second is spare parts...

4 1st round picks and a 2nd are spare parts? I'm not even going to point out you don't know where those picks will end up I'd just like you to explain the first bit

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well no ****, it'll be the highest handed out to a winger straight of his ELC. Who was the last winger to put up 90+ points in their last ELC season? What was the salary cap at back then?

Well I have Kucherov and Stone who just signed 9.5M×8 year contracts recently that ate a ton of UFA years and are significantly better players than Marner to back my argument

Now explain to me how Marner's taking a discount if he accepts 10M×7?

You people have lost your bloody minds, he should be laughed out of the room if he even breaths 12.5M

Reactions: Nifty Willy and kb

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
After this is all said and done, I'm probably never going to look at the kid the same way again.
What if he signs for 8mil/8yrs?

I think fans just need to realize that players are not signing contracts based on great value contracts. If anything, they are using those value contracts as an indication that they should not be underpaid.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes, you trade the youngster coming off a poor season, :loony:

Poor isn’t the word for it.

I know most Leafs fans didn’t watch the playoffs after the Leafs were ousted so you may not be aware , but the there were some vicious games played.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Well I have Kucherov and Stone who just signed 9.5M×8 year contracts recently that ate a ton of UFA years and are significantly better players than Marner to back my argument

Now explain to me how Marner's taking a discount if he accepts 10M×7?

You people have lost your bloody minds, he should be laughed out of the room if he even breaths 12.5M
As I said, there is Marner, his dad, and his agent in these threads pumping his tires with near zero support but the "well, Dubas has to overpay him by even more or it's not fair" club.

Life ain't always about being fair.....

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Poor isn’t the word for it.

I know most Leafs fans didn’t watch the playoffs after the Leafs were ousted so you may not be aware , but the there were some vicious games played.
Yes, and all the players are vicious. Every single one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad