Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Something has to give.

Although Im extremely nervous about Matthews’ desire to win, I wouldnt give up on him right now.

Same with Nylander, although I think he’s the logical choice to move.

If Marner wants too much money on a short term contract, then he might have to go too.

I bet Boston has no trouble signing McAvoy. And I think he’s a more valuable player than Marner.

The main beauty of the RFA remaining.. Front loaded contracts + the lack of no trade clauses. That combination allows us to use them for the first 3 years and then move on if it makes sense. We're not in a rush, just have to be open minded about this, every bonus paid our boys add value that next season so long as they are performing on the ice the year prior.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Something has to give.

Although Im extremely nervous about Matthews’ desire to win, I wouldnt give up on him right now.

Same with Nylander, although I think he’s the logical choice to move.

If Marner wants too much money on a short term contract, then he might have to go too.

I bet Boston has no trouble signing McAvoy. And I think he’s a more valuable player than Marner.

if chara wasn't 5000 years old and retiring soon, they may have moved McAvoy for marner.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
This contract is the biggest domino, obviously.
Marner’s got a chance to sign something that endears him to the fan base forever and help the team build. The optics are set for it, anywayz

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Exactly.

They can love the game and love the money equally.

If some think Marner is more about the team than the compensation their naivety is being confronted.

We’d all do that.

If I was making minimum wage for McDonalds and there were 31 other franchises in my city and one offered me $25/hr to do the same job......

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I’d offer Nylander and Marner for McAvoy.

Jeez well im glad you aren't a GM. IF we move marner we need to keep nylander, moving marner would hurt but having marner lite still here would be a good thing for our depth.

If we move both, Kapanen becomes our best RW with a lot hopes for Bracco to step up and quick.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The main beauty of the RFA remaining.. Front loaded contracts + the lack of no trade clauses. That combination allows us to use them for the first 3 years and then move on if it makes sense. We're not in a rush, just have to be open minded about this, every bonus paid our boys add value that next season so long as they are performing on the ice the year prior.

Absolutely no rush. In three years we’ll know who they are and if any of the Marlies D are any good.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Absolutely no rush. In three years we’ll know who they are and if any of the Marlies D are any good.

Question... If Duchene said he would come here for a 5 x 9m and you had a top end D (Doughty) ready to waive to come here in trade + buyers for both Nylander and Kadri and Z and Marleau as well (Individual interests not just one team). Marner contracts at this same point are going completely south... What would you do?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Jeez well im glad you aren't a GM. IF we move marner we need to keep nylander, moving marner would hurt but having marner lite still here would be a good thing for our depth.

If we move both, Kapanen becomes our best RW with a lot hopes for Bracco to step up and quick.

Tongue in cheek.

Boston is not trading McAvoy for either of those players.....

Having said that it would be nice to have a young franchise Right shot D...........

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So, teams are going to ignore the players below and just offer sheet Marner, says the leaf media and the sheep follow? :rolleyes:

Point
Rantanen
Aho
Tkachuk
Meier
Connor
Boeser
Laine
Trouba
Werenski

You would think Point, with 41 goals and being on a team that doesn't overpay would be a better candidate.
If Laine wasn't so one dimensional, we know the Jets don't have bottomless pockets.
'Canes don't like to pay big dollars, but don't see much benefit in Offer Sheeting AHO.

Reactions: Maple Leafs

The90

Feb 27, 2017
They’re not fans. What do you think they are doing it for?
Weird is thinking someone should take less money than they feel they deserve. I suppose when you were offered what you feel is a low salary to work at your current employer, you jumped right on it. Knowing you left money on the table.

Just because they play for our favourite team doesn’t mean they should take discounts. They’re humans and every one of us if being put in the same position would try to maximize our returns as well.

And yes I know it wasn’t you who posted that hide. I’m just too lazy to find the other post lol

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I guess it comes down to perception, doesn't seem hostile to me.

Shanahan was with GM Kyle Dubas in a Tuesday morning huddle with Darren Ferris, principal agent for leading scorer Mitch Marner. Dubas has been on record saying the Marner deal must be settled before the Leafs get around to any other restricted free agents or unrestricted for that matter.
“It was a positive meeting,” Shanahan told a couple of media outlets. “We’re not afraid to tell Mitch we love him and want him. They are our players. You want them to feel they are fairly treated.”

Meatloaf said it best.

"They kept on telling Mitch...

We want you.
We need you.
But there ain't no way we're ever gonna pay you.

So don't be sad (don't be sad)...
'Cause two outta three, ain't bad....."

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I love Marner, his drive train is amazing and his vision is one of the best in the league for sure. I hope he’s a leaf for his career and signs a contract that works for all parties involved. That said I still feel in terms of team importance he’s 4th and depending on where Andersen is rated possible 5th. Matthews, Tavares and Reilly are the players we build around I feel. Again not trying to slag on Marner but IMHO centres, top pairing D and goalies all trump wingers. Also Matthews is probably overpaid a bit but I keep reading massively or away overpaid which is not true. He’s close to, if not the best goal scorer in the league and should be paid as such I think.

Reactions: kb and SeaOfBlue

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Question... If Duchene said he would come here for a 5 x 9m and you had a top end D (Doughty) ready to waive to come here in trade + buyers for both Nylander and Kadri and Z and Marleau as well (Individual interests not just one team). Marner contracts at this same point are going completely south... What would you do?

Well Doughty's buy-out in 2024 is only 3.7 against the cap for 6 years, so if you win a couple things in the meantime.

But Matthews has to play with some top line players.

Johnsson and Kapanen are nice players, but they aren't top line nice.

Really rather see:
Tavarse-Marner
Matthews-Nylander

Your third line only needs 12-14 minutes a night, and to be defensively strong.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Charlie McAvoy is not that special. Wanting to trade a 90+ point player for him is close to Hall for Larsson territory.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Weird is thinking someone should take less money than they feel they deserve. I suppose when you were offered what you feel is a low salary to work at your current employer, you jumped right on it. Knowing you left money on the table.

Just because they play for our favourite team doesn’t mean they should take discounts. They’re humans and every one of us if being put in the same position would try to maximize our returns as well.

And yes I know it wasn’t you who posted that hide. I’m just too lazy to find the other post lol

I think the "left money on the table" has to be investigated here.

One steak 2 kids, you give the entire steak to 1 and say we love you both but Fred got an A, you only got a B.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Charlie McAvoy is not that special. Wanting to trade a 90+ point player for him is close to Hall for Larsson territory.

I don’t think he’s Ray Bourque but he’s pretty good.
How about the Leafs give them Nylander?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Marner had 21 points this year on the PP. His previous years had him with 25 and 20. Math makes that almost the same, not Nylander or his fans. It's also simple math that disagrees with your claim that he would hit 100 if he produced the same on the PP.

But sure, you're the voice of reason and logic here.

Right, but Marner this year is a much better player than Marner in his rookie year, and Marner in his sophmore year. His production is down in the sense that it in theory should have an increase in PP production similar to his ES production.

Not that I expect you to read this, because you haven't been responding to me for a while. (I'm probably blocked :cry:).

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Right, but Marner this year is a much better player than Marner in his rookie year, and Marner in his sophmore year. His production is down in the sense that it in theory should have an increase in PP production similar to his ES production.

Not that I expect you to read this, because you haven't been responding to me for a while. (I'm probably blocked :cry:).
How come Marner is the only of the big 3 that is supposed to get any better? Marner was the major reason why the PP sucked, it became too predictable with him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Marner will sign for $10.516 million for 6, 7, or 8 years.

And I'm ok with that.

It should be 8 years if he's getting that much.

5 or 6 years should put him under 10 mill, if not under 9.5 mill for a 5 year deal.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad