Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Saying that Marner is as good as Mathews is not bashing Mathews.
WHEN Auston is playing he is always a threat to score. There is no debating that. Nobody is questioning that.

Matthews is great when motivated. He started the season using his body, driving and scoring like nobody else while tenders were feeling out the equipment changes. He let it on the line, he got injured for the 3rd straight year. He came back, he was not the same, again. The first year injury was known, he did not miss time. If you adjust for the equipment changes the past two years, he has been a pt per game guy. It's good, not like McDavid though. I doubt he will be in the hunt for top 3 in pts over a full season. Great goal scorer though so full marks there.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I guess Sid shouldn't go in The Hall because the middle of his career was ravaged by concussions. He's only played 82 games once in his career. What a bum!

I think the more important argument here is that claims made over games missed due to injury for Matthews and Marner are meaningless for predicting future games played. There is simply no correlation between getting injured in your first couple years and future health or being healthy for your first couple years meaning that you will healthy for subsequent years. People think there is - but there is not.

Crosby and Malkin have had injury plagued careers - but Crosby only missed 4 games in his first 2 years, and Malkin didn't miss any due to injury in his first 3 seasons. Lupul had great health in his first 3 seasons. Stamkos did for his first 5 seasons. Kessel played more than 70 games once in his first 4 seasons. Hasn't missed a game in 9 years since.

Sure if you have the kind of injuries that Lupul had, or if you play the way Lindros did. But otherwise, nope.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
No reason for marner to even talk to the leafs until after he's heard from other teams.

Even if there's no official offer sheet, just knowing teams ate willing to go to double digits will force the leafs hand.

Funny this is another example of the young GMs ineffective communication style. He said after the season it was vital they get marner done in June. Doesn't look like that will happen and unless nobody shows interest in marner, it's going to cost us.

Wonder how much he wishes he took that $9M x 8 offer the marner camp pitched last summer. Big league mistake. Big league.

It’s June 13. Are you a GM? Because I’m sure you could probably run the Leafs. They are in such hot water having all these superstars. Whatever will Toronto do. Please save them. I know MLSE has been waiting. Maybe dual roles GM and Coach?

Reactions: kb and Tak7

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think the more important argument here is that claims made over games missed due to injury for Matthews and Marner are meaningless for predicting future games played. There is simply no correlation between getting injured in your first couple years and future health or being healthy for your first couple years meaning that you will healthy for subsequent years. People think there is - but there is not.

Crosby and Malkin have had injury plagued careers - but Crosby only missed 4 games in his first 2 years, and Malkin didn't miss any due to injury in his first 3 seasons. Lupul had great health in his first 3 seasons. Stamkos did for his first 5 seasons. Kessel played more than 70 games once in his first 4 seasons. Hasn't missed a game in 9 years since.

Sure if you have the kind of injuries that Lupul had, or if you play the way Lindros did. But otherwise, nope.

The big concerns are his are back and shoulder. One can end your career and the other take away your shot. Most concerned about the back injury tbh, shoulder may be more a nuisance where it keeps popping on him, both suck at a young age.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
People comparing Matthews and Marner is interesting but when you get down to it the Leafs fans and organization wants a cup. My thoughts:

Matthews is a 6’4”, 230lb CENTER who was drafted first overall and has been res-signed. He was the priority signing this year and it got done. He used his size in the playoffs this year and showed some nastiness. He is what this franchise has needed for years. He is only going to get better.

Marner is a 5’11”, 175lb WINGER who was drafted 4th overall. Very good player but very small and had trouble against bigger bodies in the playoffs. This is a problem. I really wonder if he can stand the NHL rigours of four rounds in the playoffs. Unfortunately you can’t teach size. Fun to watch, love his story, but for $12.5......see ya.

Reactions: kb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
People comparing Matthews and Marner is interesting but when you get down to it the Leafs fans and organization wants a cup. My thoughts:

Matthews is a 6’4”, 230lb CENTER who was drafted first overall and has been res-signed. He was the priority signing this year and it got done. He used his size in the playoffs this year and showed some nastiness. He is what this franchise has needed for years. He is only going to get better.

Marner is a 5’11”, 175lb WINGER who was drafted 4th overall. Very good player but very small and had trouble against bigger bodies in the playoffs. This is a problem. I really wonder if he can stand the NHL rigours of four rounds in the playoffs. Unfortunately you can’t teach size. Fun to watch, love his story, but for $12.5......see ya.
Small guys have succeeded in playoffs for years. I mean, just look at Patrick Kane. Matthews had trouble vs Bergeron and Marchand, and Marner did this year. Marner lit up the playoffs the year before when he got the easier match-up.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

And that’s probably being very generous on Marners height and weight. The NHL seems to do that a lot.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Small guys have succeeded in playoffs for years. I mean, just look at Patrick Kane. Matthews had trouble vs Bergeron and Marchand, and Marner did this year. Marner lit up the playoffs the year before when he got the easier match-up.

No doubt small Guys sometimes do. Matthews was able to bull through those players this year and provided clutch scoring.
Marner had trouble in playoffs this year in my eyes. At $12.5 not worth it.

Reactions: kb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No doubt small Guys sometimes do. Matthews was able to bull through those players this year and provided clutch scoring.
Marner had trouble in playoffs this year in my eyes. At $12.5 not worth it.
He didn't bull through Bergeron, because Bergeron was matched vs Tavares/Marner, and last year he struggled vs them. Marner excelled getting the easier match-up. There is no proof bigger guys tend to succeed more in the playoffs.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
He didn't bull through Bergeron, because Bergeron was matched vs Tavares/Marner, and last year he struggled vs them. Marner excelled getting the easier match-up. There is no proof bigger guys tend to succeed more in the

STL says hi

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
He didn't bull through Bergeron, because Bergeron was matched vs Tavares/Marner, and last year he struggled vs them. Marner excelled getting the easier match-up. There is no proof bigger guys tend to succeed more in the playoffs.

STL says Hi

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
STL says Hi
Do you have actual evidence that smaller players scoring goes down more? And, I meant individual players, not overall team construction. Your argument is literally Matthews can produce in the playoffs and Marner can't. Yet, both have excelled when they got the easier match-up and both have struggled when getting the tougher one. I don't see how there is an argument one has been a better playoff player than the other.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Do you have actual evidence that smaller players scoring goes down more? And, I meant individual players, not overall team construction. Your argument is literally Matthews can produce in the playoffs and Marner can't. Yet, both have excelled when they got the easier match-up and both have struggled when getting the tougher one. I don't see how there is an argument one has been a better playoff player than the other.

Do you? Not that I really care. At $12.5 Marner can beat it. I believe in huge centres and huge D. Nothing is going to change that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

He was arguably the Leafs best player in the first round of the playoffs last year against Boston.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Really hope that Marner paid attention to the Nylander situation, and how the large parts of fanbase (and media) have turned on Nylander and vilified him.

It's pretty easy to see that we're on this path in these threads already.

Marner could at least make himself look better by signing a deal sooner.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He is there, when he plays he is always a threat to score.

How does this turn into a bashing Matthew's thread. He has the potential to be one of the best Leafs to ever play.

Some Leafs fans will never be happy.

Marner is amazing, but he is not on Matthews level and doesn't play the same position. He shouldn't be paid like it. Plain and simple.
Plays with tougher competition and is more versatile. No he is above his level

Reactions: PemIceKing

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
That's assuming Matthews signed when his current deal runs out. I think that's a crazy something to just expect to happen, and ignores why it is so risky to give him 5 years. You walked an elite player right to UFA while making him the 2nd highest paid player in the league. That's a joke.
And on top of that the last year is a nmc

That means we have to know by the end of year four if he is going to sign with us or try free agency.

Just a terrible contract
Nothing for the team there everything favours Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad