Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
The thing about the Leafs is that it is not very hard to quickly get back into favour if you are a good player.

The players, especially Marner, would know this. He also knows how to stop it right now: By signing a fair offer, which I am sure Dubas is giving him.
im not so sure its that easy anymore. The fambase is a very pessimistic one. Always waiting for the floor to fall out. One of the three is already persona non grata here. The other has a good portion convinced hes gone in five years anyway. Mitch would be the ultimate backstab however. He's also probably the one with the most to lose the longer this goes.
Toronto makes stars.
Toronto also kills careers just as quickly.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I have a feeling Mitch Marner will be traded next weekend.

if it's true that Ferris is intentionally waiting for July 1st, so he can get a 12.5M offer-sheet, it's going to force Dubas' hand. He knows that the Leafs shouldn't match that offer, so he'll trade Marner beforehand to get more than just the picks for Marner.

Were that to happen, what an absolutely repugnant situation this has all become.

Being a Leaf fan right now has the same feeling as sour stomach a day after recovering from the flu.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Yes, Matthews contract ******* sucks, now if we admit that reality should we do the exact same thing all over again with Marner?

Let him sign the 12.5M offersheet and don't match, take the picks, cap space and be done with it
Exactly. Then trade the other two and build a real 'team' around JT and players that want to win.

Reactions: Kiwi and biotk

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
This was supposed to be such an exciting time. Some of the most talented young players we've seen in Leaf uniforms in a long time, if ever. The whole thing just has a stench to it now.... for me anyways

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
This was supposed to be such an exciting time. Some of the most talented young players we've seen in Leaf uniforms in a long time, if ever. The whole thing just has a stench to it now.... for me anyways

Did I miss something? What are you talking about?

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Guys, guys! The question was "How can Marner's camp justify their demands of 11.5-12.5".

I was simply throwing out ONE explanation, and you guys start bashing me! :laugh: Also taxes play a large factor. Kucherov gets approximately 20% more take-home money by playing in Tampa. Not to mention that he'd also get paid more just from cap inflation alone.

I don't like the 11.5-12.5M demand as much as the next guy, but lets not pretend like Marner is in the tier of Nylander/Ehlers/Forsberg etc. This guy is already a border-line superstar at the age of 22!!

Superstar WINGER! Not a centre there's a difference. He's a playmaking winger which is even less valuable. Centre's have far more responsibility than wingers. There's a reason a winger's trade value is far less than a centre. Don't kid yourself. I watched a winger lead Leafs team for almost a decade flounder at the bottom of the standings and a Leafs team lead by a true #1 centre for a decade to multiple playoffs rounds and two conference finals. If the rumours are true then Marner and is inflated ego should be traded. He can make his bank for another team.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Kucherov gets paid 9.5 and is the best offensive player in the NHL. Kucherov also plays the wing. So how can Marner's camp justify their demands of demands of 11.5 to 12.5 which is elite centre money??? Marner has done nothing that in the NHL the makes him worthy of being paid like he has. Marner needs to be shown the door. Trade him to a hockey wasteland like Arizona or Florida so he watch the endorsement money fade away much like his chances at winning.

Kucherov made a boo-boo, he should be at 12-15 aav ... In my opinion, Kucherov contract helps Marner make more $ in the negotiations and hurts Dubas position

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Exactly. Then trade the other two and build a real 'team' around JT and players that want to win.

I care about Matthews, Tavares, Rielly and Andersen (for the time being).

Everyone else can be moved IMO.

If Marner is pricing himself out, well oh well.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
If he is going to let his agent use tactics like this, he should be traded. He will be one of the biggest villain in Maple Leafs history if this goes down.

No matter what happens Dubas will be blamed.

I honestly think at this point Marner could sign for 9 and everyone would still hate on Dubas.
i disagree. 10 or 11 and he's fine. anything more than Mathews and Dubas will be destroyed....
And if Mitch doesnt win us a Cup, MVP AND care a disease of some sort he will ripped to shreds as well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I care about Matthews, Tavares, Rielly and Andersen (for the time being).

Everyone else can be moved IMO.

If Marner is pricing himself out, well oh well.

Just hang tight. Negotiations are at peak intensity right now. They are pushing with all of their might to get this overpayment done before July 1st and or one of Rantanen/Point/Aho signing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Mathews getting the term he did with the contract he did puts him firmly in the money over cup camp for me.

I think he is 100% worth 11.6M

Is the term a year or two short? Sure, but it's not like he's overpaid. If he signs an extension, it doesn't matter. Of course if he walks, that's a different story, but if we are worrying about things half a decade from now, we won't enjoy this team much.

I firmly believe we can build a winning team around Tavares and Matthews making a combined 22.6M. That's the big factor for me.

I can understand where you're coming from though. Just a difference of perspective.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just hang tight. Negotiations are at peak intensity right now. They are pushing with all of their might to get this overpayment done before July 1st and or one of Rantanen/Point/Aho signing.

You make it sound like Dubas works for the agencies.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
i disagree. 10 or 11 and he's fine. anything more than Mathews and Dubas will be destroyed....
And if Mitch doesnt win us a Cup, MVP AND care a disease of some sort he will ripped to shreds as well.

If Marner is all about the money he won't care what people say because he has a guaranteed contract and he will still make his bank! Dollar! Dollar bills! Y'all! It's all about the Benjamins!

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Superstar WINGER! Not a centre there's a difference. He's a playmaking winger which is even less valuable. Centre's have far more responsibility than wingers. There's a reason a winger's trade value is far less than a centre. Don't kid yourself. I watched a winger lead Leafs team for almost a decade flounder at the bottom of the standings and a Leafs team lead by a true #1 centre for a decade to multiple playoffs rounds and two conference finals. If the rumours are true then Marner and is inflated ego should be traded. He can make his bank for another team.

Okay, but you're now talking about something else. I was responding to your question on how Marner can justify his ask.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I think he is 100% worth 11.6M

Is the term a year or two short? Sure, but it's not like he's overpaid. If he signs an extension, it doesn't matter. Of course if he walks, that's a different story, but if we are worrying about things half a decade from now, we won't enjoy this team much.

I firmly believe we can build a winning team around Tavares and Matthews making a combined 22.6M. That's the big factor for me.

I can understand where you're coming from though. Just a difference of perspective.
i agree he's worth 11 per. i think the term bringing him to UFA paints a fairly clear picture. It may be the pessimist in me too however there just seems to be too many signs indicating a 'me first' attitude on this team at the top . i didnt expect Mitch would be one of them though.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
So all you guys who hate Marner now because of bunch of obnoxious BS that you've made up, are you still going to hate Marner after he signs a reasonable contract like a reasonable person? Are you going to take back all the awful things you said about him? How's that going to work?

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
So all you guys who hate Marner now because of bunch of BS you've made up, are you still going to hate Marner after he signs a reasonable contract like a reasonable person? Are you going to take back all the awful things you said about him? How's that going to work?
whos hating on him?
that being said, if he was signing a 'reasonable' contract it would probably be done by now. Not like Dubas has been pinching pennies.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

10 should be his max, if he come in at 10 or less (hopefully with term) Dubas did a good job.

However, I believe the Dubas haters will be here in full force no matter what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad