Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Are we seriously comparing Marner to a 23 year old that just put up 50 goals.

Do you guys even understand how rare 50 goals is?

Literally two players have scored 50 goals in the last 6 years with a 2 year gap where nobody scored 50.

Ovechkin for 4 of those 6 years and Draisaitl last season.

Draisatl is also an elite center taking over 1000+ draws a season and winning over 600 of them.

It's amazing how nobody is willing to defend Nylander or Matthews but will go to any lengths to prove Marner is a god. It's funny how it's those same guys in the Nylander thread that treat Marner like he's Crosby. Is this even hockey or you guys just following Marner like some celebrity infatuation.

Oilers got the last laugh with the Draisatl contract. They're going to get more production for 1-2 million less than Marner, Laine, Rantanen etc.

Yeah, folks are being a absolutely silly attacking Draisaitl here. I think id probably give Marner the edge in a comparison BUT Calling him a passenger of McDavid while conveniently ignoring the impact that Marner has thrived playing off Tavares' wing is beyond amusing.

Reactions: kb and Havoc

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Which has been the case at every level of play since juniors...

Hes simply not a centre. And that's fine.
Correct there hasn't been a need for him to play center.
That he wouldn't be able to is a pretty simple view.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Oilers got the last laugh with the Draisatl contract. They're going to get more production for 1-2 million less than Marner, Laine, Rantanen etc.

Are the Oilers responsible for the concept of the passage of time? Congratulations, they overpaid a player and a couple years his contract started to look better. Evil geniuses, they are.

Cap goes up, contracts go up. Draisaitl's deal is the equivalent of about $9.4 million this summer and that's probably the ballpark that Marner and Rantanen will fall in. The cycle will continue to repeat itself and people will continue to not understand it.

Edit: Just so I'm clear, Draisaitl is a tremendous player and absolutely worth his contract today. But let's not act like the Oilers pulled one over on him.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The idea that a guy wasn't even a consistent centre in junior as a teenager could transition to it at the NHL like a blink of the idea is nonsensical.

Hes not a centre, a natural winger.
Actually a natural center playing wing.
Either Dvorak or Marner had to move to the wing.
Marner was able to make the switch.

Reactions: diceman934

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Again, a centre actually needs to play the position for him to be one...

This is like calling Gardiner a winger because he used to do so years ago.

Reactions: kb

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Yeah, folks are being a absolutely silly attacking Draisaitl here. I think id probably give Marner the edge in a comparison BUT Calling him a passenger of McDavid while conveniently ignoring the impact that Marner has thrived playing off Tavares' wing is beyond amusing.

LOL. Who is attacking Draisatl?

The dramatization around here is too much sometimes.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Again, a centre actually needs to play the position for him to be one...

This is like calling Gardiner a winger because he used to do so years ago.
:laugh: It's not like that but I'm guessing you'd like it to be.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

I would move Kadri for Dvorak, I'm just saying ...

Tavares~someone?
Matthews~Willie
Dvorak~Marner

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
There’s no one way centres play. What you’re describing is a puck handling, playmaking winger.
Wow. Such insight. You mean that McDavid and goat dont play the same? Try following along. Elite centers are playmaking 200 foot players. Stop being so obtuse.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
By the criteria used in this thread, quite a large portion of the wingers in the league are actually natural centers.

There's been quite a few times over the last few years where we have desperately needed some talent down the middle when suspensions and injuries have hit. That Marner was still not considered our best option should tell you all you need to know.

Reactions: kb

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Wow. Such insight. You mean that McDavid and goat dont play the same? Try following along. Elite centers are playmaking 200 foot players. Stop being so obtuse.
While I agree that centers have to be good at passing and have relatively good vision due to playing in the 'center' of their teammates, the leafs have an elite center who I wouldnt classify as a playmaker ever (Matthews).

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
By the criteria used in this thread, quite a large portion of the wingers in the league are actually natural centers.

There's been quite a few times over the last few years where we have desperately needed some talent down the middle when suspensions and injuries have hit. That Marner was still not considered our best option should tell you all you need to know.

When?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
:facepalm:

So your saying Dvorak couldn't make the switch to wing? I think a better, more rational explanation is Dvorak is a better C then Marner.
As Team it was better to keep Dvorak in the middle.
I would think he could have made the switch just not as well as Marner did.
At the end of the day it's what's best for the make up of the Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad