Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
When the opportunity came to pick marner or Dvorak at c the knights chose Dvorak.

In the nhl Dvorak’s plays centre marner has not.

Okay :rolleyes:

That doesn't answer my question.

Simply being provided the opportunity doesn't make someone better for the position. I'm asking people what makes other people a better center than Marner. So far, nobody has been able to answer it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
okay, but why are we fighting about marner being a centre?
he's not gonna be on this team unless something disastrous happens and regardless of what he did in junior - i don't know if he'll be able to do it here for a period of time.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Simply being provided the opportunity doesn't make someone better for the position. I'm asking people what makes other people a better center than Marner. So far, nobody has been able to answer it.
It's pretty silly.

Marner has all the skill in the world, he could easily play center if needed.
I'm not saying he should play center here, will play center here or there aren't better options.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
While I agree that centers have to be good at passing and have relatively good vision due to playing in the 'center' of their teammates, the leafs have an elite center who I wouldnt classify as a playmaker ever (Matthews).
He is an elite player who can play both but is more an ovie type winger.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Funny yesterday another poster said because hunter said marner was a centre on draft day he was a centre. Now the word of pros isn’t good enough? Weird cherry picking going on in here.

Hunters organization that he owns and his own brother ran at the time decided Dvorak was the centre.

I’m not really sure if you are just being obtuse now or not. No one wants marner to play centre. Not the London knights, not the leafs, not babcock. Yet that’s not good enough for anyone here? Insane

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm not saying you're wrong, but what makes Dvorak a better C than Marner?

Dvorak is the bigger and heavier playing player that can grind and battle in the corners/boards for the puck and has a nice skillset (hands, speed, IQ) ...

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He is an elite player who can play both but is more an ovie type winger.
Personally I think Matthews best comprable is perhaps the player whose contract the leafs used for Matthews current deal, Malkin.

I would definitely say Matthews is a center and there is a prototypical big scoring center style that Matthews fits into.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner has more playoff points than Matthews Nylander or any other of the young leafs.

Yeah, and Draisatl has 16 points in 13 games compared to McDavid and has a 100 point season which no Young Leaf has. So let’s just leave the obvious alone that we are talking about a group of elite players and not be so arrogant that the Leafs guys are clearly and obviously better.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wow. Such insight. You mean that McDavid and goat dont play the same? Try following along. Elite centers are playmaking 200 foot players. Stop being so obtuse.

Mitch Marner is not a 200 foot elite center playing the wing position. I’m glad your making this hot take on the Leaf board because that’s ridiculous.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
My narrative is they’re both elite players and there’s something to like about Draisatl so Marner isn’t clear cut better. The “facts” would point to this rather vanilla statement that would only upset a major Leaf homer.
Horse poop you clearly made a very bias Statement and your attempt to backpedal will get you no where. At least take ownership of your opinions.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Funny yesterday another poster said because hunter said marner was a centre on draft day he was a centre. Now the word of pros isn’t good enough? Weird cherry picking going on in here.

Hunters organization that he owns and his own brother ran at the time decided Dvorak was the centre.

I’m not really sure if you are just being obtuse now or not. No one wants marner to play centre. Not the London knights, not the leafs, not babcock. Yet that’s not good enough for anyone here? Insane

Weird cherry picking going on? Really? You quoted me, and I responded! I have not discussed Hunter one bit, and have no interest in those posts... But I guess this is just your way of backing out on answering a tough question.

Being obtuse? Its pretty clear whose being obtuse here... its the ones that keep misconstruing my posts. I'm not even suggesting to play Marner at center... I'm asking why wouldn't he be capable of doing it... thats it.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Dvorak is the bigger and heavier playing player that can grind and battle in the corners/boards for the puck and has a nice skillset (hands, speed, IQ) ...

Interesting perspective, so Marner lacks the size for the position? I'd agree with this to a degree, but small players like Brayden Point, Sebastian Aho, Jonathan Marchessault are all Marner's size or smaller. So size alone can't make an effective center-man... agreed?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Weird cherry picking going on? Really? You quoted me, and I responded! I have not discussed Hunter one bit, and have no interest in those posts... But I guess this is just your way of backing out on answering a tough question.

Being obtuse? Its pretty clear whose being obtuse here... its the ones that keep misconstruing my posts. I'm not even suggesting to play Marner at center... I'm asking why wouldn't he be capable of doing it... thats it.

Answer this question. Why has no one played him at centre? Professional coaches in the ohl and the nhl all never have used him at c, except a half season stint as a 19 yr old in the ohl, do you honestly believe you know more than ohl and nhl coaches? If so I have my answer

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Interesting perspective, so Marner lacks the size for the position? I'd agree with this to a degree, but small players like Brayden Point, Sebastian Aho, Jonathan Marchessault are all Marner's size or smaller. So size alone can't make an effective center-man... agreed?

I was answering the Dvorak vs Marner at the center spot in London ... no need to put mitch at the center now, he plays/does his rover thing and dominates with skill and smarts

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Gotta figure that the magic number will be $10.5 M/per at the least.

Wonder if Marner's camp really wants that $11M/per though.

If so, that'll really make things very interesting from here on out.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Answer this question. Why has no one played him at centre? Professional coaches in the ohl and the nhl all never have used him at c, except a half season stint as a 19 yr old in the ohl, do you honestly believe you know more than ohl and nhl coaches? If so I have my answer

He was drafted as a Center by London. Dvo was great on draws, Marners was average. They had insane chemistry and neither produced at near the same levels separated. They were kept together for sake of the team, and it worked wonders.

To a point daisy said a few pages back, the leafs targeted both Marner and Nylander, with the hopes they could be a #1C................. Then we won the lottery and that plan was scraped.

He will never play center for the Leafs because there is no need, but he certainly could play center in the NHL on some team, certainly has the IQ.

Reactions: ACC1224

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He was drafted as a Center by London. Dvo was great on draws, Marners was average. They had insane chemistry and neither produced at near the same levels separated. They were kept together for sake of the team, and it worked wonders.

To a point daisy said a few pages back, the leafs targeted both Marner and Nylander, with the hopes they could be a #1C................. Then we won the lottery and that plan was scraped.

He will never play center for the Leafs because there is no need, but he certainly could play center in the NHL on some team, certainly has the IQ.

See Domi, Max.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Honestly, this is getting annoying now on multiple points
1) you want me to answer your question, when you won’t answer mine.
2) where did I suggest that I know more than the pros? Do you even understand what I’ve been saying/asking?

I was answering the Dvorak vs Marner at the center spot in London ... no need to put mitch at the center now, he plays/does his rover thing and dominates with skill and smarts

Well... I don’t think anyone is suggesting to play him at center, especially with our depth. The question is: is he capable?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
2) where did I suggest that I know more than the pros? Do you even understand what I’ve been saying/asking?

Well... I don’t think anyone is suggesting to play him at center, especially with our depth. The question is: is he capable?
umm, I'm sure he could, dunno if he would want to, he seems pretty happy on the wing and it doesn't make any sense to make him a center on this team, imo

Reactions: MyBudJT

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I’ll say it’s getting annoying. You are asking me to prove something that pros have proved numerous times? That’s f***ing weird man.

London used Dvorak instead or marner
When desperate mike babcock uses nylander not marner.

You ask why can’t he? Because pros continually choose not to use him. I ask why you think he can other than he’s your favourite player and being a centre makes him better or something.

I look forward to your reply but it’s clear this isn’t going anywhere so that’s me out. You can continue this with others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad