Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Do you know why Hunter did not keep Marner as a center?

It was because they were losing games. He was more then effective as a center.
If he was more then effective as a Center then you'd think they could win more often as a team no?
The real reason why he was tried at center is because Hunter knew the Leafs had no centers in the pipeline. They tried to convert him but it backfired and he went back to the wing where he belonged and had the best OHL season of all time because of it. Luckily for the leafs they drafted a #1 C the following year then signed another via UFA. It all worked out for everyone.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Please. Leon is a passenger. I want to see a full season centering his own line. There is no reason why he can't center his own line and dominate if he's as good as buffalo west says he is.

That’s a weird argument to make when Marner’s breakout came the year we gave him an $11 million a year franchise center to work with.

Reactions: kb and duffy9748

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Do you know why Hunter did not keep Marner as a center?

It was because they were losing games. He was more then effective as a center.

You see Marner is a game changing line driving winger and that's why they put him back there, because that's where he's best suited and it helped London win more games

Marner. Is. Not. A. Center

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
for some reason there are a few posters desperate to show marner is a centre, not really sure why. He is an elite winger, never played C as a professional and only half a season at c in junior but some think he is one
Ya I'm surprised people have debated on it this long...

Has Marner ever played center in a professional league? No

Could he? Maybe

Will we ever know? Nope, so no point in arguing over it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
for some reason there are a few posters desperate to show marner is a centre, not really sure why. He is an elite winger, never played C as a professional and only half a season at c in junior but some think he is one

i think the plan was for the leafs to develop him and Nylander (or at least one of them) into a centre, but then we got Matthews, and now we have Tavares so any chance of that happening is long done.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
why are we talking about Marner being a centre?

People have lost there God damn minds, that's why

It seemed to crop up around the time we were discussing certain positions garnering better financial compensation contractually, then amazingly enough the Marner fans started arguing he's capable of playing center

God damn, and people talked about Nylander backers being fan boys, at least you could argue he might be a center, maybe

Reactions: kb

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
i think the plan was for the leafs to develop him and Nylander (or at least one of them) into a centre, but then we got Matthews, and now we have Tavares so any chance of that happening is long done.

Yeah probably, fact is when we are desperate for a centre mike friggen babcock turns to nylander that tells you all you need to know. I like nylander more than a lot of posters here seem to, but if marner was an option at c I’d pick him to move there in a heartbeat when we are down a c, either through injury or suspension

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Dangle is right, his team is leaking yo the media to pump his value to the fans eyes. That way when he signs, he will get the hero's thank you and applause even though he gets his true real value.

9.516 x 7 or 9.916 x 8. The media will say because its under 10 he gave them a home town discount, and anyone who knows how to compare contracts and cap %s will know he got pretty much full value.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
To prove to the rest of the board that the Leafs in fact do have the dumbest fanbase?

It is beyond words at this point. It's probably Mitch, his dad, and his agent.

Color me shocked that the Toronto boy gets completely different standards applied to him than the Swede and the American. I wonder how much of an overlap there is between them and Cherry fanboys crying about us needing to add McQuaid.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You’re really reaching, bro.

It's not strange to you that Matthews and Nylander got ripped on for being greedy and not taking a contract that helps the team, but those same people are inventing reasons why Marner should make an extra few mil because he played a few games of center in juniors?

Reactions: Menzinger

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It's not strange to you that Matthews and Nylander got ripped on for being greedy and not taking a contract that helps the team, but those same people are inventing reasons why Marner should make an extra few mil because he played a few games of center in juniors?

1) Marner hasn’t signed a contract yet. We don’t know what he will sign for.
2) Media insiders were suggesting Nylander wanted 8.5 and Matthews wanted 14. If Insider speculation is accurate, Marner’s AAV will likely sit around 10-10.5. This would fit right in line with the Nylander and Matthews contracts.
3) a precedent has already been set with Nylander and Matthews. Posters are largely desensitized by these contracts. Who knows how things would have played out has Marner reached RFA first.
4) Nobody has suggested Marner deserves more money because he played a bit of center in Junior. That’s a reach, man. the center debate is whether he is capable of playing the position. That is all.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Yeah, Marner's not a center just cause he played a bit in junior. Hell, I remember people were saying that Hall and Laine could even play center leading up to their respective drafts. Also, WHY would we need/want to put our 95 point winger outside his comfort zone at center anyways?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not at all. It was because the team wanted to load up one line and they played the snot out of the line and especially Marner.
Exactly.
Dvorak wasn't going to play the wing.
Kid was a dynamic center his whole life.
It made more sense for him to play wing on the Knights.
With the way the Leafs are built it makes more sense for him to play wing here.
Doesn't in any way mean he couldn't handle the middle if needed.

Reactions: diceman934

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Yeah, Marner's not a center just cause he played a bit in junior. Hell, I remember people were saying that Hall and Laine could even play center leading up to their respective drafts. Also, WHY would we need/want to put our 95 point winger outside his comfort zone at center anyways?

Admittedly, I haven't read every post. I don't think people are suggesting to put Marner at center. That debate is whether he is capable of playing center.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

That all stems back to the entry draft where Mark Hunter supported his selection of Marner a winger (from his owned London Knights), suggesting he could be developed as a future centre.

That never happened in junior, nor is it going to happen at the NHL level, and its certainly not a factor in these contract talks.

Nylander's contract might have included some talk about position if the plan was to use him as a winger for Matthews or as a 3rd line centre down the road.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Admittedly, I haven't read every post. I don't think people are suggesting to put Marner at center. That debate is whether he is capable of playing center.
Correct no need for him to be a center currently on this team.
This all started days ago when it was suggested that the NYI would have no interest in offer sheeting Marner because they need a center.
When it was pointed out that he could easily play center on that team some couldn't be honest and admit that a player with his pedigree wouldn't have trouble moving to the middle.

Reactions: diceman934

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Correct no need for him to be a center currently on this team.
This all started days ago when it was suggested that the NYI would have no interest in offer sheeting Marner because they need a center.
When it was pointed out that he could easily play center on that team some couldn't be honest and admit that a player with his pedigree wouldn't have trouble moving to the middle.
Or some can't be honest and admit that it was tried and not successful at a much lower level.

Now that is the truth. Anything else is conjecture and speculation based on.....absolutely no tangible evidence.

Last edited:

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Drai's production is elite, he's a 50 goal 105 point scorer last season making 8.5M forever, I don't care if he's a center or a winger that's amazing value

Passenger? Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say you either don't know very much or aren't particularly smart

Hunters OHL team tried him at center and put him back on the wing, turns out he's a winger even at the OHL

So one comment about Marner half a decade ago doesn't actually mean anything, Hunter may of thought he could be a center at the time but it turns out he's not

It happens

Marner >>> Leon ainec

Leon is a passenger. I know it, everyone else knows it but here you are, yap yap yap. Go to Edmonton's board and pump their tires ( good knows they need it esp when 97 asks out)

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
That’s a weird argument to make when Marner’s breakout came the year we gave him an $11 million a year franchise center to work with.

I wasn't arguing that Marner was better than Leon as it's obvious he is. All I was saying was Leon should put those numbers up centering his own line.

I have no doubt Marner would put up elite numbers on his own line. The difference between edm and us is we have the luxuary to built two tandems ( when Babcock is not being dumb) in nylander,Matthews and tavares Marner. If we only had Matthews and Marner I'd expect Marner to center ( he could regardless of HF filth) his own line and put up elite numbers. We don't have to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad