Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I don’t think 1.4 vs 0.8 is negligible. Matthews scores nearly twice as much 5v5. More than Ovi did.
It isnt negligible but I suspected he scored at least twice as much than Mitch at 5 on 5. That is his bread and butter (5 on 5 goal scoring) while Mitch is more of a playmaker.

Reactions: mavis

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Just curious ??
I may be way off base ...
I know this is just speculation
Buttttt ...
Can the Leafs not offer Marner , let’s say
8-10 year - 10 mil per year and just absolutely roll out the brinks truck on a signing bonus that would make it completely worth while to him for a life time ?
Or does the signing bonus count against the cap ?
Just thinking ?

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Just curious ??
I may be way off base ...
I know this is just speculation
Buttttt ...
Can the Leafs not offer Marner , let’s say
8-10 year - 10 mil per year and just absolutely roll out the brinks truck on a signing bonus that would make it completely worth while to him for a life time ?
Or does the signing bonus count against the cap ?
Just thinking ?

All money paid to him by the Toronto Maple Leafs is included in his contract calculations. You can work around bonuses to structure the contract to some degree but ultimately every dollar the Leafs pay him is added in.

Anything he earns outside of the Toronto Maple Leafs is fair game.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
All money paid to him by the Toronto Maple Leafs is included in his contract calculations. You can work around bonuses to structure the contract to some degree but ultimately every dollar the Leafs pay him is added in.

Anything he earns outside of the Toronto Maple Leafs is fair game.
Thank you
I can’t stand salary caps in professional sports .......

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'll be concerned if he isnt signed by the draft.

Pretty clear with these reports coming out that the Leafs arent caving into Marners demands, so Marners camp is just trying to give an extra nudge.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Advertising folks, agents, ect.

Not something terribly difficult for a journalist with a few connections configure out.

Yeah, In the past, NHL salaries weren't publically disclosed by the team but it was still pretty easy for reporters to find out what they were.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Pretty clear with these reports coming out that the Leafs arent caving into Marners demands, so Marners camp is just trying to give an extra nudge.

It just seems annoying and tone deaf at this point that after an underachieving playoff run they go and use this stupid pressure point. Face it, Marner isn't Kucherov and he isn't Kane, but he's going to get around $10 million anyway and that shouldn't be taken as an insult.

Also, different sport, but when you see a guy like Kawhi Leonard truly taking the city by storm this spring, it seems like an inopportune time to make that superstar stance.

Reactions: cookie

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'd rather have $10M in cap space and 4 picks from a team that will have a monster contract to contend with than to sign Marner for premium center money. He's a hell of a player, but the centers are more important

For perspective's sake, if the downside is getting four 1st rounders from a team that can afford to add an $11M+ cap hit, the asset management for the 4th OA pick used on Marner is pretty good.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
if the jackets GM comes and offers us

Werenski+Savard as a combo deal for

Marner+Zaitsev+Marleau(if he waives his NMC)

How the hell does Dubas say no? You get a top 5 under 23 defender in the league and a number 3/4 RHD who plays similar to muzzin. Get to dump Zaitsev and his 5-year deal as well as Marleau if he waives. This deal was proposed by a CBJ fan who didn't want to do Anderson+Werenski for 16 straight.

Cap wise we see Marner getting 11, Zaitsev 4.5 and Marleau at 6.25. That is almost 22 million out the door.

We can say Werenski gets an 8-year deal at 7.5 million (ekblad deal). Savard makes 4.25 million. Overall they get 12ish million. Your saving 10 million dollars and that can be given to either panarin, skinner, or two B level wingers in Nyquist and Ferland.

I would run this lineup over any we have by keeping marner.

Skinner(7.0)-Matthews(11.634)-Nylander(6.96)
Hyman(2.5)-Tavares(11.0)-Kapanen(3.5)
Johnsson(3.0)-Kadri(4.5)-Mikyhev(0.925)
Moore(0.775)-Goat/Engvall(0.900)-Petan(0.85)

Rielly(5.0)-Savard(4.25)
Werenski(7.5)-Muzzin(4)
Rosen(0.75)-Dermott(0.85)

Andersen(5)
Ward (1.0)

Kessel retention: 1.2

Cap=83.094 million

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

If he's not signed going into the draft I think you have to trade him

Our cap situation sucks and I don't think you can let other teams decide your cap situation for you by offer-sheet with Johnsson, Kapanen and a team to still assemble

That would ******* suck but I do think that's the way I'd look at things if I was management

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It isnt negligible but I suspected he scored at least twice as much than Mitch at 5 on 5. That is his bread and butter (5 on 5 goal scoring) while Mitch is more of a playmaker.

P60 numbers are deceptively slim, but to put into context that’s a margin of like 28 vs 50 goals on a season. I’d say that’s an appropriate contrast between elite playmaker and elite goal scorer. An elite playmaker that is driving offense and often has the puck is probably getting a minimum of 20-25 I would have thought.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
P60 numbers are deceptively slim, but to put into context that’s a margin of like 28 vs 50 goals on a season. I’d say that’s an appropriate contrast between elite playmaker and elite goal scorer. An elite playmaker that is driving offense and often has the puck is probably getting a minimum of 20-25 I would have thought.
Ya fair enough, I just didnt think Mitch would have so many at 5 on 5. Doesnt get a ton of PP goals either I guess but certainly has the opportunity to considering how often he has the puck on his stick on the PP.

Reactions: mavis

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If he's not signed going into the draft I think you have to trade him

Our cap situation sucks and I don't think you can let other teams decide your cap situation for you by offer-sheet with Johnsson, Kapanen and a team to still assemble

That would ******* suck but I do think that's the way I'd look at things if I was management

Marner's probably my favorite but if I am running the team, I am not waiting around for him come July 1. By that date I am assembling my team and with each passing day the money available to him decreases. His decision to make.

Reactions: Kiwi

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Leafs fans and leafs media cannot allow the Marner camp to talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Marner doesn't get to play the good ol' Toronto boy who got to grow up a leafs fan and build his profile and his endorsement earnings while having Ferriss and his Dad do the dirty work for him.

It's obvious that Marner doesn't care about being a leaf. We should stop caring about him being a leaf as well.
Who told you this nonsense...you need to stop listening to those voices you are hearing.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I'm curious, the CBA says you can't offer players money through sponsorship. Tavares did a Rogers commercial. Would that have been for free?

Good question but I would say no. I am sure the league has some sort of way to determine if the sponsorship money is considered reasonable or not. Rogers also had Hall and McDavid so I am sure if Tavares was getting a significant amount more than the best player/most marketable player in the league then it would be an issue.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marner's probably my favorite but if I am running the team, I am not waiting around for him come July 1. By that date I am assembling my team and with each passing day the money available to him decreases. His decision to make.

Yeah, I love the kid and I'd give him a very fair offer like 10M×7 and if that's not good enough I'd move on

It would break my heart but if he's not signed by the draft it's go time, he's moving on the draft floor in all likelihood

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Dreger words must be read properly without all
The idiots going overboard

I believe

Unquote

Nothing like I’m being told yada yada yada

I believe means this is how he is thinking how negotiations will go.

Same as these posters saying that Johnsson or Kapanen will be offer sheeted. Anyone with common sense knows we don’t have the money to sign Marner Kapanen and Johnsson no matter what Mitch signs for. mitch is getting 9-10 guaranteed. Do the math how do we afford the other two. One of these guys kappa Johnsson will be traded at the draft.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

I believe

Unquote

Same as these posters saying that Johnsson or Kapanen will be offer sheeted. Anyone with common sense knows we don’t have the money to sign Marner Kapanen and Johnsson no matter what Mitch signs for. mitch is getting 9-10 guaranteed. Do the math how do we afford the other two. One of these guys kappa Johnsson will be traded at the draft.

Bob McKenzie didn't turn it down either though, he went along with it.

I think most people are assuming the Marner camp leaked this though. Paul Marner is quite the personality by all accounts, he use to follow one of my twitter accounts back in Marner's draft year. He actually deleted his twitter account which leads me to believe he has a second account. I bet he is tweeting legit gold on there right now.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah, I love the kid and I'd give him a very fair offer like 10M×7 and if that's not good enough I'd move on

It would break my heart but if he's not signed by the draft it's go time, he's moving on the draft floor in all likelihood

Agreed. It's also why I was one of the ones more open to a Nylander/Pesce deal last year. Marner's more important and Pesce addresses a need plus was on a good contract for a few years. We literally only have to get through this year cap wise.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I am admittedly becoming concerned. Im beginning to feel no reasonable number is going to satisfy Mitch and his family. Mitch may solve our defensive woes at this rate.

The only thing I would read into Dreger information, likely leaked to him by Marner camp, is that Marner isn't taking significant team friendly deal. Marner camp is using the OS threat/July 1st/Media as leverage vs Dubas.....they are just playing the business game to push up the dollars higher. I would do the exact same thing......its just business. Now will they sign an OS or go past July 1st......who knows. Big game of chicken.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I believe

Unquote

Dreger is a complete moron but I seriously doubt he's just pulled the getting on a plane and exploring offersheet possibilities out of his ass

You need to be feed something like that because that just doesn't happen in normal circumstances and you don't just leap to there on your own, this looks suspiciously like a negotiating tactic through the media to me

It's not like Marner's agent and father are shy about using the media to get there message out there

Reactions: SAMCRO44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad