Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
IF this is true, and that's a big if. I personally don't care that much.

First off, Marner knows he'll make more money in Toronto than anywhere else. Regardless of what his AAV is.

Second, a team offers you over 10.6 and you want to take it over a 9.5 offer from Toronto? Be my guest. We'll take the picks.

An offersheet just doesn't scare me for Marner. He knows he'll make the most money here, he isn't dumb, so push comes to shove he'll pick the Leafs. I'd prioritize Johnsson/Kapanen over him right now because offersheets do worry me there.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
IF this is true, and that's a big if. I personally don't care that much.

First off, Marner knows he'll make more money in Toronto than anywhere else. Regardless of what his AAV is.

Second, a team offers you over 10.6 and you want to take it over a 9.5 offer from Toronto? Be my guest. We'll take the picks.

An offersheet just doesn't scare me for Marner. He knows he'll make the most money here, he isn't dumb, so push comes to shove he'll pick the Leafs. I'd prioritize Johnsson/Kapanen over him right now because offersheets do worry me there.
I concur plus part of me notice a dropoff when chara hit him
4 first round picks is a gamble I'd take especially if he ever got hurt
could be 4 lottery picks

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
awhi not us?‏ @Account4hockey
FollowFollow @Account4hockey
More
Dreger says on TSN1050 that he expects Marner's camp to take negotiations beyond July 1st. He says he expects the Marner to visit teams starting June 26 in the RFA offersheet interview period. Dreger says the Leafs will have to make an aggressive offer: 10+,10.5+,11+

Is Dreger on the Marner camp payroll?
If Marner is seriously looking for 11+, please trade him now.

I mean, people freaked out on Nylander (Greedlander) for holding out for $6.9 million, and this kid is asking for $11 mil plus possibly? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'd still take Marner at 8x11 over Nylander at 6x7.5.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Mitch Marner
for
Zack Werenski & Josh Anderson

Kadri - Matthews - Anderson
Johnsson - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - _____ - Kapanen
Marchement - Goat - Moore

Rielly - Werenski
Muzzin - Dermott
Rosen - - - Zaitsev

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I mean I'd probably google it too. I know how to do it, but if I had to do it for my job, I'd probably double check.

It's true, you don't need to handwriting letters anymore. People actually hate it unless absolutely necessary, since it's slower and uses more labour/paper.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Honestly go after Panarin give him 10-10.5 million and let marner sign a offersheet or sit out. Dont cave into his demands. Work a trade that gets a top pairing rhd signed long term otherwise go after panarin/skinner plus 4 1sts. Dont go over 10 million on a 8 year deal for 16. Ideally 9.5x8 is the deal he gets.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Pretty obvious Mitch Marner doesn't want to play for the leafs.

The leafs should move on before this deteriorates further.

They should look for a top 4 D and top 6 F, both young and with potential.

Here are some that I think would be interesting.

• Werenski + Wennberg
  • Dobson + 2020 1st (unprotected)
  • Dumba + Zucker + picks
  • Ekblad + 1st
  • K'Andre + Andersson + pick

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'd look at trading Mitch for a defenseman. If not, take the four first round picks and sign a top UFA. It's been clear for a while that his camp is totally unprofessional and unreasonable, and I hope Dubas doesn't tolerate it

Love him to death and would hate to lose him, but if he's in the 10 mill range - yeah, no. Bye Mitch.
Especially if you and your agent are going to make this a circus

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I am a huge Marner fan, but he is playing with fire on this one if he takes it to July 1st.
The Leafs are in a very tough spot cap wise, and they can't afford to not have Marner signed given the offer sheet threats to Johnsson and Kapanen. He runs a real risk of getting traded if he takes it to the draft.

Offer sheets if it gets that far are really dangerous, because as much as the Leafs need him, he needs to play for Toronto for the Marner brand (lovable hometown kid who has beat the odds all along the way brings a cup to Toronto). That marketability doesn't work anywhere else. I have no doubt that if Marner signs an offer sheet that lands the Leafs 4 decent 1sts and he can sign a UFA like Panarin that Dubas will pull the trigger.

I really hope both sides find common ground and he signs, but I am not sure this is an instance if I were Marner where I think Dubas is bluffing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Marner wants to abandon his cup-contending hometown team, his friends and his endorsements over ~$900k per year, then he can GTFO.

This is beginning to feel like when the tide started turning on Nylander. Although I'm sure Mitch will be given more leash. But it's starting.
Why though? Because of speculation?
What has he ACTUALLY done that would turn people against him?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The offersheet here is a none issue.

Hes not going to sign to a bottom of the league team, and before it's even get to that, no team is going to make Marner the highest paid player or winger in league history AND give up four firsts. If his agent tries to pull this BS card. Just call the bluff and start signing support players to contracts

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
If Marner wants to abandon his cup-contending hometown team, his friends and his endorsements over ~$900k per year, then he can GTFO.

This is beginning to feel like when the tide started turning on Nylander. Although I'm sure Mitch will be given more leash. But it's starting.

Just wait and let him get the offer sheets. Yeah, I would like to keep him, but if he won't sign, the picks are a good enough prize.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
My favorite Dregerism was when he suggested the Leafs would likely trade Nylander if they signed Jimmy Vesey. Hes as credible for hockey rumors as the homeless dudes who hang out by Union Station

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have a Marner Knights jersey, and a Marner Leafs jersey. Easily my favorite player on this team.

However, if he and his camp are going to intentionally bring negotiations to the end of June and July, and are demanding 10-12M while not signing for longer than 5 seasons, then we have no choice but to look at trading him.

As @leospaceman3434 mentioned, we can likely get a deal that features a top 6 winger, and a top 4 d-man, or someone like Ekblad + More.

If Marner's camp thinks they can back the Leafs into a corner, assuming they would get ridiculous backlash if they ever traded Mitch or walked away from an offer sheet then they are solely mistaken.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
My favorite Dregerism was when he suggested the Leafs would likely trade Nylander if they signed Jimmy Vesey. Hes as credible for hockey rumors as the homeless dudes who hang out by Union Station
You are completely correct about Dreger's credibility, but this would be in line with what we do know about Marner's camp. Ferris is definitely a fan of negotiating through the media

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad