Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The "credentials" argument is never going to be resolved here. There are 2 different philosophies about paying players:

1)Pay players for what they've done thus far in their careers- The rationale for this is you are paying a player for their actual demonstrated (and possible sustained) level of performance. The downside/risk is that you are paying a player for performance already gone and not necessarily for what they are going to do while under that new contract.

2) Pay players for what you think they are going to do under that new contract- The rationale is that you don't want to pay a player for what they've done in the past, but rather what they'll be. Locking a young player long term while "overpaying" in the first couple years is that you trust this player is going to outperform their contract and you won't have to worry about the UFA years when the price would be even higher. The risk is the player doesn't turn out to be what you think he is.

Teams in the past have typically gone for #1. This means you usually "win" on most of your contracts on young players and RFAs, but lose on older players and UFAs, because they are either no longer worth the $ as soon as they sign that contract and almost never going forward.

Many teams are now moving towards #2. See the recent contracts of Dylan Guenther and Seth Jarvis. Teams are betting on guys they've identified as cornerstone pieces and locking them up. It means they might be overpaying for the 1st couple years but will potentially have bargains as they get to what would have been the 3rd contract.

There's lots of issues I have with the people arguing for the #1 type philosophy but there's one main issue I have with it in regards to Swayman, and it's this:
The huge majority of people now saying Swayman hasn't proven anything and doesn't "deserve" to be paid like a top 5 goalie are the same people who all during the season were talking about Swayman being a top 5 goalie and an untouchable player on the team. They were all for trading a vezina winning Ullmark in order to clear the way for Sway. There was almost no talk of "Well maybe we shouldn't... maybe Sway can't handle a 60 game load.

I'd just like to imagine this scenario- All goalies in the NHL are miraculously made UFAs. Name all of the goalies you'd take ahead of Swayman to be your goalie for the next 8 years.
Which camp are you in if you think the right numbers for Swayman are 8x$8M-$8.25M or 4x$7M-$7.5M?

Reactions: NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
This thread is getting pretty wild. I'm definitely not saying pay Sway 10 mil and be done with it, but the amount of attacking him for not taking a pay cut or just signing is embarrassing. Thought we were all huge fans of his just 4 months ago...

Which camp are you in if you think the right numbers for Swayman are 8x$8M-$8.25M or 4x$7M-$7.5M?
Pretty much a combo of paying him for what he's done and what you think he'll be I'd say

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What did that get any of them? Zero cups. No one on the 2011 team had taken a hometown discount. Some guys were underpaid, but no one specifically signed for less than that could have like some stars did after 2011.

You are correct, it got them absolutely nothing. Especially under Sweeney. All it got us was terrible free agent signings that were healthy scratched come playoff time.

All those hometown discounts went to Backes, Beleskey, John Moore, Mike Reilly, Nick Foligno, forbort, etc

Meanwhile Krejci had a dumpster fire for RWs under Sweeney for nearly a decade while we had upwards of $15m being healthy scratched in the playoffs at times under Sweeney

Go get your money Jeremy, it’s not going to make a difference under Sweeney anyways.

Sweeney and Evan Gold are so overrated it’s insane.

Reactions: EverettMike

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
You are correct, it got them absolutely nothing. Especially under Sweeney. All it got us was terrible free agent signings that were healthy scratched come playoff time.

All those hometown discounts went to Backes, Beleskey, John Moore, Mike Reilly, Nick Foligno, forbort, etc

Meanwhile Krejci had a dumpster fire for RWs under Sweeney for nearly a decade while we had upwards of $15m being healthy scratched in the playoffs at times under Sweeney

Go get your money Jeremy, it’s not going to make a difference under Sweeney anyways.

Sweeney and Evan Gold are so overrated it’s insane.
Nice to see you got up with a positive attitude today :)

Go Bruins!

Reactions: UncleRico

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
Hardly, Swayman sees himself as the guy to reset the market for goalies. So he must see himself as better than Vas, or Shesterkin, or Sorokin. He's smoking the good stuff, if he sees himself as accomplished. But HE IS NOT.......YET. This is his 2nd deal, not his 3rd. There is precedent hat is not in his favor.
I expect him to get there, but Gross, who played hardball with TML w/Nylander, is filling his head with an exaggerated sense of value.
:huh: I just don't get the sense of entitlement that Sway and his fanbase have in this.
Pasta, McAvoy, and other B's have all taken reasonable 2nd deals.
Swayman's being butt hurt over the arbitration is childish. His agent has really failed him.
...especially on a team where the leaders Bergy and Marchy have been taking team-friendly deals for years to help the team win.

Reactions: badbrewin

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What RFA goalie contracts are people looking at as comps for these 7-8+ mil estimates ?

I mean only six goalies in the whole league are over 6.5/year right now. Only eight are above 6mil. Maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited:

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Your comment was Swayman would be in camp if he wanted to be there. No player is going to camp without a contract (unless their a PTO talent).
My comment stands. Ask yourself why he isn't.
I made some comments back in July about this situation and that he is going to get PAID.
It's clear the Bruins made moves and left cap space to slot him in, but apparently that isn't enough.....

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
I still say Swayman should be between #5-6, and that's based on a modest career sampling. The guys higher up on that list have either won cups, Vezinas, are work horses and all have 500+ NHL games.

Then here comes Swayman with his 132 NHL games....have a little patience man, sign a fair market deal, sustain your performance and you WILL eventually get paid. Classic bridge deal scenario.

1726923994616.png

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What RFA goalie contracts are people looking at as comps for these 7-8+ mil estimates ?

I mean only six goalies in the whole league are over 6.5/year right now. Only eight are above 6mil. Maybe I'm missing something?

I have yet to see a comp for swayman that’s realistic.

Show me comps with the following criteria:

-25 year old
- all star
- 1 year arbitration deal due to team not having cap space for a bridge deal
- following year both teams don’t elect for arbitration

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I still say Swayman should be between #5-6, and that's based on a modest career sampling. The guys higher up on that list have either won cups, Vezinas, are work horses and all have 500+ NHL games.

Then here comes Swayman with his 132 NHL games....have a little patience man, sign a fair market deal, sustain your performance and you WILL eventually get paid. Classic bridge deal scenario.

View attachment 908384
End of the day we have no idea what either side is asking for - could be a gap between 4.5 mil and 6 or between 7 and 8+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad