Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
awhi not us?‏ @Account4hockey
FollowFollow @Account4hockey
More
Dreger says on TSN1050 that he expects Marner's camp to take negotiations beyond July 1st. He says he expects the Marner to visit teams starting June 26 in the RFA offersheet interview period. Dreger says the Leafs will have to make an aggressive offer: 10+,10.5+,11+

Is Dreger on the Marner camp payroll?
If Marner is seriously looking for 11+, please trade him now.

I mean, people freaked out on Nylander (Greedlander) for holding out for $6.9 million, and this kid is asking for $11 mil plus possibly? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
IF this is true, I can't see going out to solicit offer sheets going over well in the dressing room. I don't know where the line is but that seems to be crossing it.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Imagine becoming the most hated person in your hometown overnight because you thought you were worth 11 million instead of 9+ million as a 21 year old. Strange how you can be so smart on the ice but not off of it.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
awhi not us?‏ @Account4hockey
FollowFollow @Account4hockey
More
Dreger says on TSN1050 that he expects Marner's camp to take negotiations beyond July 1st. He says he expects the Marner to visit teams starting June 26 in the RFA offersheet interview period. Dreger says the Leafs will have to make an aggressive offer: 10+,10.5+,11+

Is Dreger on the Marner camp payroll?
If Marner is seriously looking for 11+, please trade him now.

I mean, people freaked out on Nylander (Greedlander) for holding out for $6.9 million, and this kid is asking for $11 mil plus possibly? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is absolute garbage if true, however the source is Dreger, so I'm leaning towards, not true.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I refuse to get all riled up because of what Dreger "expects". Seriously, I can't understand why anyone pays attention to anything this clown says anymore.
I assume he woke up thinking "Hmm, I haven't said the word 'offer-sheet' in public for a while, let's get this sh*t going again".

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
IF this is true, I can't see going out to solicit offer sheets going over well in the dressing room. I don't know where the line is but that seems to be crossing it.

Important to note.

Not that it will prevent all kinds of imagined conclusions.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I refuse to get all riled up because of what Dreger "expects". Seriously, I can't understand why anyone pays attention to anything this clown says anymore.

Most of them have nothing these days and that was all they really gave fans. Their insights are usually crap, but at least they were good insiders. These days, I think they have a few contacts but a lot of it is just speculation quality stuff.

My trust in them is solely depending upon how much logical sense it makes (I.e. if it is something Dubas would actually do) and if they can provide a lot of detail or justification behind their stuff (which is rare even when something does go down).

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
There will be no trade. Marner will sign with Leafs. No one else in NHL can put the deal the Leafs can on the table including the Habs. Between the AAV and the sponsorships no one else will be close. The AAV is not the important number here. But I can't see the AAV coming below 10-10.5M per. and then another 5M per in sponsors money. If someone else can put a 15M per deal on the table then great have Marner and we will take the 4 1st rounders. But it ain't gonna happen. and whatever Marner's agent says he can't be a baller at 5M per in sponsor money. it has to be Bell and Rogers in that game at that level. and guess who owns MLSE? Get the picture here folks.

I'm pretty sure the NYC market (as 'one' example) could provide a pretty good sponsorship environment, and I think the Rangers have lots of cap space. No idea if that's what the Rangers would do ultimately, and not sure this is the correct move for them either. But the idea that no other team/market could make a comparable offer (salary + sponsorship) is a limited and insular (misguided) view.

Could be just speculation though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Imagine becoming the most hated person in your hometown overnight because you thought you were worth 11 million instead of 9+ million as a 21 year old. Strange how you can be so smart on the ice but not off of it.

Oh well. It's on him. I don't think Dubas has low balled his RFA's. I think the Matthews deal made what he deserved. Nylander made a bit more but he has a super valuable contract on the trade market, which is ultimately the best move for the Leafs.

So Marner can choose what he wants.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Oh well. It's on him. I don't think Dubas has low balled his RFA's. I think the Matthews deal made what he deserved. Nylander made a bit more but he has a super valuable contract on the trade market, which is ultimately the best move for the Leafs.

So Marner can choose what he wants.

The optics are really stacked against him. The second he takes an offersheet, there are going to be some nasty headlines. "Marner demands bigger contract than Art Ross winner to stay in Toronto" looks really bad on him. Dubas just has to offer him a fair market value deal and his hands are clean.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Well... some team could offer him anywhere from $8,454,872 - $10,568,589 and only give up 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd rounder.
It hurts the Leafs because they'll likely match, putting them in a worse cap situation.

Best case for the offer sheet team: Leafs don't match and they get Mitch Marner for a smaller package.
Worst case for the offer sheet team: Leafs match and it messes up their cap situation even more.

Although we never see offer sheets, and won't this offseason.

Just for fun just the Leafs lose Marner for $8,454,872 - $10,568,589 and gain the 2 1sts, 2nd, and 3rd rounder.
They then have enough cap space to try and sign Panarin, and dangle a couple of 1st rounders to another team for a top 4 dman.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The optics are really stacked against him. The second he takes an offersheet, there are going to be some nasty headlines. "Marner demands bigger contract than Art Ross winner to stay in Toronto" looks really bad on him. Dubas just has to offer him a fair market value deal and his hands are clean.

That's what he did with Matthews and Nylander too, and even did well, but he still gets criticism. He can't force guys to sign here, but I think he did well with Matthews (and he improved his chances of getting him to re-sign for a reasonable number without killing the Leafs now) and made out great in a bad situation with Nylander.

I think he was fair with those two, but Nylander wanted stupid money. So he trades him or he gets something he can use of value while not totally throwing the player under the bus. He picked the latter, and totally finessed it.

Reactions: Chindis

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Well... some team could offer him anywhere from $8,454,872 - $10,568,589 and only give up 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd rounder.
It hurts the Leafs because they'll likely match, putting them in a worse cap situation.

Best case for the offer sheet team: Leafs don't match and they get Mitch Marner for a smaller package.
Worst case for the offer sheet team: Leafs match and it messes up their cap situation even more.

Although we never see offer sheets, and won't this offseason.

Just for fun just the Leafs lose Marner for $8,454,872 - $10,568,589 and gain the 2 1sts, 2nd, and 3rd rounder.
They then have enough cap space to try and sign Panarin, and dangle a couple of 1st rounders to another team for a top 4 dman.

Those are not unreasonable numbers as long as we get decent term on the higher end numbers.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Those are not unreasonable numbers as long as we get decent term on the higher end numbers.
Not unreasonable, but also not that ideal.
If offer sheets were a thing imagine a team like the Habs saying screw it. Let's try and mess up the Leafs cap situation and offer Marner $10,568,589. If they get him, great. They just got Marner at a somewhat okay price. If the Leafs match, the Habs could then offer sheet Kapanen or Johnsson anywhere from $2,113,717 - $4,227,437 and only have to give up a 2nd round pick.

Or they could do the very same with Point and Tampa. If Tampa matches the Habs just made it much more difficult for 2 of the better teams in their division.

Again, this only works if offer sheets were more commonly used.

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
My god, that didn’t take long to start looking like a Nylander thread. Like usual, analysts are going to speculate wildly and people will eat it up as though they heard it from an inside source.

My guess is that if there is a sticking point it will be that Marner wants more than Eichel money because he produces more and Leafs will want to lower it because he doesn’t play C. It’ll be a debate about how much more important C is than W.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Most of them have nothing these days and that was all they really gave fans. Their insights are usually crap, but at least they were good insiders. These days, I think they have a few contacts but a lot of it is just speculation quality stuff.

My trust in them is solely depending upon how much logical sense it makes (I.e. if it is something Dubas would actually do) and if they can provide a lot of detail or justification behind their stuff (which is rare even when something does go down).

Makes sense. For me, I pay so little attention anyway, most of time I just hear whatever on the radio and don't even know who's saying it but I've heard so much nonsense it's impossible to trust anyone. Some guys I just get the sense that they're at least somewhat credible but Dreger, man he's the worst. As soon as I see that name I just move on.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If they really are going to be adversarial Dubas should ignore his "if you have time, use it" and show some initiative. Set out a reserve bid in the 9.5-10 x6 range that is structured to be competitive against any 1st+1st+2nd+3rd level offersheet, if that's not good enough open a window for interested parties to talk to him.

If there's a market for Marner at the level of his salary demands we can decide if that level is tolerable to us, if not best case is that we can work out a trade we like better than the 4 1st comp, worse is that we know in advance that he's leaving for 4 1sts and can approach the draft properly

If there's no market for Marner at the level of his salary demands then the RFA system does it's job, we get our 6 year deal under 10.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I f***ing hate this Dreger piece of shit.

He's way dumber than I thought. He single handedly destroyed his own daughter and himself as a father with one single tweet the other day. That was so funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad