Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yikes!

I mean I'd probably google it too. I know how to do it, but if I had to do it for my job, I'd probably double check.

It's true, you don't need to handwriting letters anymore. People actually hate it unless absolutely necessary, since it's slower and uses more labour/paper.

To me the issue is publicly embarrassing your daughter, I can't think of any excuse for that.

Reactions: flamesforcup

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
I think this is just a negotiation ploy planted by Ferris, but where there is smoke there is fire. The Leafs have no margin of error on this deal given their cap space and limited time. I'd final offer him 8× 9 616 000 (with great signing bonuses) right now and make it clear that he has until the morning of the draft to sign if he truly wants to be a Leaf.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Dreger said he would be shocked if Marner isn't on a plane June 26th fielding offers...I'll go on record saying I'll be stunned if he is, to be honest Dreger sounds like baseless opining.

Marner isn't going anywhere. Book it.

Mitch might not be, but Ferris and Paul Marner sure are. If your family and agent say "sign this offer sheet", it's not so easy to say no.

Yikes!

To me the issue is publicly embarrassing your daughter, I can't think of any excuse for that.

I would hope that Dreger knows about his reputation and deliberately did this to make everyone think his daughter must be a letter expert if he says she isn't.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
First off, none of the RFA signs their extension yet.
Secondly, I don’t understand why it is a slight to Marner if he signs for 9-9.5mil/season.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dreger said he would be shocked if Marner isn't on a plane June 26th fielding offers...I'll go on record saying I'll be stunned if he is, to be honest Dreger sounds like baseless opining.

Dreger is Paul Marner and Derren Ferris' mouthpiece. He's getting his information on what to put out directly from them.

This is the one scenario where paying attention to what Dreger says is important, and it's because Marner's camp is telling him to say these things.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dreger is Paul Marner and Derren Ferris' mouthpiece. He's getting his information on what to put out directly from them.

This is the one scenario where paying attention to what Dreger says is important, and it's because Marner's camp is telling him to say these things.

Yep.

Folks just need to read between the lines. Both the dad and agent have had foot in the mouth moments over the last few months.

All just hot air

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I think your probably correct overall but if he gets onto that plane he's got to go, our RFA'S have been a giant pain in the ass but that's completely unacceptable

I would point out however that his father and agent have been very unprofessional thus far with regards to the media so anything is possible

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
What about Nylander at his actual cap hit?

His actual cap hit is more complicated. Its not 6.9 either (person I responded to).

Year 1 had a higher cap hit than years 2-6. Its not right to just judge Nylander's year's 2-6 (6.96 AAV) IMO because his higher cap hit in year 1 probably impacted our ability to have more success in year 1.

Regardless, If you wanted to use the 7M figure, yes... I'd still take Marner at 11x8 over Nylander at 7x6.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
At least we'll all know the moment when fiction became fact. :laugh:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Why though? Because of speculation?
What has he ACTUALLY done that would turn people against him?

There was an "if" in my post.

He hasn't done much to quell the rumours, though. Pretty obvious there's some media warfare being waged from one side of this negotiation, and it's backfiring on Marner.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I really hope Dubas plays hardball here (he should have a couple pitches ago, the others being Nylander and Matthews).

If I were Dubas, I'd tell the Marner camp what our aboslute max is straight up. If they're not good with that, you simply go the trade route, or wait and see what offersheet they sign.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There was an "if" in my post.

He hasn't done much to quell the rumours, though. Pretty obvious there's some media warfare being waged from one side of this negotiation, and it's backfiring on Marner.
Sorry, I missed your 'if' and lumped your post in with all the others jumping to conclusions.
Quell what rumours? A tweet that's a few hours old?
Media warfare? I thought Shanahan had mentioned that they would keep things quiet?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If I was Dubas and Marner's camp were adamant on 11 million I would laugh in their face and say pack your bags.

There is no way Marner deserves close to 11 million.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
His actual cap hit is more complicated. Its not 6.9 either (person I responded to).

Year 1 had a higher cap hit than years 2-6. Its not right to just judge Nylander's year's 2-6 (6.96 AAV) IMO because his higher cap hit in year 1 probably impacted our ability to have more success in year 1.

Regardless, If you wanted to use the 7M figure, yes... I'd still take Marner at 11x8 over Nylander at 7x6.

He counted against the cap for 6.96M last season. The FULL YEAR cap hit is higher but he only counted against the cap for the days he was actually on the roster, prorated, his cap hit was 6.96M.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Nylander’s net accumulated cap hit was $6.96m at the end of last season. Not having Nylander before Dec 1 may have affected the team negatively (though the team enjoyed a PDO binge Oct through Nov so tore up the league despite that), but at the end of the day Nylanders cap hit last season was $6.96m.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think your probably correct overall but if he gets onto that plane he's got to go, our RFA'S have been a giant pain in the ass but that's completely unacceptable

I would point out however that his father and agent have been very unprofessional thus far with regards to the media so anything is possible
If he gets on a plane I'm changing my tune on whether we should move on.

Right now it's just posturing.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sorry, I missed your 'if' and lumped your post in with all the others jumping to conclusions.
Quell what rumours? A tweet that's a few hours old?
Media warfare? I thought Shanahan had mentioned that they would keep things quiet?

I think that the suggestion is that the Marner camp is using the media... not the Leafs... the Leafs have been quiet.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If he gets on a plane I'm changing my tune on whether we should move on.

Right now it's just posturing.

I bloody hope so, I love the kid and the last thing I want is him leaving but him getting on a plane or slow rolling negotiations past July first would be a serious problem from a team building perspective

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nylander’s net accumulated cap hit was $6.96m at the end of last season. Not having Nylander before Dec 1 may have affected the team negatively (though the team enjoyed a PDO binge Oct through Nov so tore up the league despite that), but at the end of the day Nylanders cap hit last season was $6.96m.
Don't know how many times I've been saying this.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If I was Dubas and Marner's camp were adamant on 11 million I would laugh in their face and say pack your bags.

There is no way Marner deserves close to 11 million.

Production wise he compares to Eichel which I think puts him at about $11m over 8. Depends on what the Center tax is.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Over 10 million and he can gtfo if he wants to visit other teams..I love Marner but I am sick of all this players who have no heart anymore for their teams and let their agents destroy their relationship with the clubs and fans..yes he.s worth 10.5 or 11 but sometimes u need to help your team a little.. Is that to much difference for from 10m to 11 m? Is it really necessary to do this circus? U will be rich all your life with this money..this time Dubas needs not to cave, 10 m per year or we.ll take that Compensation and go play for who u want

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad