Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion XX - The Dog Days of August V3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Never happened.

Probably as likely as marner wants to be paid more than McDavid.

Or, Dubas offered marner 11 for 5 years and paul said he's better than Matthews so has to be paid more.

I'm curious what has been offered by other teams ... not to marner, but to Dubas in a trade.

Say 'Canes offered Terravainen and Pesce, would Dubas even consider that?

member 157595

Or, Dubas offered marner 11 for 5 years and paul said he's better than Matthews so has to be paid more.

I'm curious what has been offered by other teams ... not to marner, but to Dubas in a trade.

He'd better. Leafs would lose up front but TT is no slouch and they have enough depth at F to make up for it. Meanwhile, take a look at this D: (that's what she said)

Rielly-FishMan
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Ceci

That D is extremely balanced and no one is playing out of position or above their appropriate responsibilities. It's beautiful. Both TT and Pesce are signed long-term at very reasonable deals too. It's unfortunate that Carolina would never consider it.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

I think both the Canes and Leafs add in a deal to what you proposed, but I think Dubas should consider it as a starting point. Maybe some picks need to be offered both ways.

If it were I, I would take that deal in a heartbeat, a young replacement winger that will excel with Tavares, and a legit RHD that you place with Reilly long term.

Hyman-Tavares-Terravainen

Reilly-Pesce
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Ceci

Looks good to me.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Never happened.
Probably not.

There is so much indirect information('I believe' 'I''m hearing') out there.
I find it fascinating what people choose to believe or dismiss.
They'll believe it if it confirms some 'belief' they have and dismiss it if it goes against that.

Reactions: Sypher04

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
He'd better. Leafs would lose up front but TT is no slouch and they have enough depth at F to make up for it. Meanwhile, take a look at this D: (that's what she said)

Rielly-FishMan
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Ceci

That D is extremely balanced and no one is playing out of position or above their appropriate responsibilities. It's beautiful. Both TT and Pesce are signed long-term at very reasonable deals too. It's unfortunate that Carolina would never consider it.

Snuck in the Michael Scott. :thumbu:

Reactions: OmniCube

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Probably not.

They'll believe it if it confirms some 'belief' they have and dismiss it if it goes against that.

Agreed. For this reason, when I'm referencing a report out there in the wild, I like to try and preface it by saying "if the report/rumour that xxxxxxxx is true" and then I say whatever I'm going to say

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It seem many more blindly love him for that reason.
Thankfully there is a large group of us in the middle that judge players/management on what they bring and nothing more.

And if you find players/management (anyone for that matter ) don’t meet your expectations, your a ‘ist’ of some sort.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sportsnet's Chris Johnston provided us with this last week. Chris Johnston provides update on Marner contract negotiations

Chris Johnston provides update on Marner contract negotiations

August 16, 2019

"As it has been speculated for a while now, Marner will most likely end up with a contract that doesn’t represent any comparable players around the league for a winger coming out of their entry-level contract.

Depending on what the term is, the deal will range from either a $8-million or up to a $11-million cap hit — the former being a term around three years, and the latter a six or seven-year deal.

Johnston continues to say that he believes that the Leafs have recently moved closer to what Marner and his agent, Darren Ferris, has been requesting. That could either mean an eventual overpayment and yet another contract negotiation that doesn’t give any benefit for the team’s future cap structure.

No matter what happens, Marner remaining a Leaf signals the philosophy that GM Kyle Dubas and the rest of the Leafs’ management wants to spread throughout their team. To give elite forwards the contracts that they deserve and try to find discounts or deals for defencemen — all-in on offence."

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Sportsnet's Chris Johnston provided us with this last week. Chris Johnston provides update on Marner contract negotiations

August 16, 2019

"As it has been speculated for a while now, Marner will most likely end up with a contract that doesn’t represent any comparable players around the league for a winger coming out of their entry-level contract.

Depending on what the term is, the deal will range from either a $8-million or up to a $11-million cap hit — the former being a term around three years, and the latter a six or seven-year deal.

Johnston continues to say that he believes that the Leafs have recently moved closer to what Marner and his agent, Darren Ferris, has been requesting. That could either mean an eventual overpayment and yet another contract negotiation that doesn’t give any benefit for the team’s future cap structure.

No matter what happens, Marner remaining a Leaf signals the philosophy that GM Kyle Dubas and the rest of the Leafs’ management wants to spread throughout their team. To give elite forwards the contracts that they deserve and try to find discounts or deals for defencemen — all-in on offence."

Well at least we know now there is progress. I know they are still trying to squeeze every dollar from leafs management

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge

August 16, 2019

In the first sentence of that quote it states "it has been speculated" so there's no more truth to Johnston's reporting than any other NHL reporter on Marner so how can you come to any conclusion until the contract is signed? The answer is you can't.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

August 16, 2019

Probably not.

Forgot our old favourites, 'it has been speculated' and 'most likely'
:laugh:

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If the Leafs ran a 20-man roster, and Marner signed before the regular season started, the absolute most the Leafs could offer without moving somebody is about 11.5m, though the realities of making that work are probably a bit unrealistic.

They wouldn’t be able to do that since they would need cap space to call someone up if there’s an injury. I think the absolute most would be having just enough for one call up at all times. They would also likely call up a player who’s waiver exempt. So probs 11.5ish minus 0.9ish

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I'll defend Dubas because I think he's a good GM but this is one signing he can't overpay for. Matthews got more than he should but I can defend over paying for a legit elite #1 C over a winger anyday. Let him rot and set a damn number for a contract and say it's not going any higher than this so take it or we can work out a trade and then wait for the right trade to come around. Agent has no leverage or power and for some reason he believes we care if he goes to the Swiss league to make the amount a 4th liner would in the NHL.

Just funny how players won't attend camp because of risk of injury but will go play overseas for not much money and risk injury.

Reactions: Brown Dog

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
That is also a gross overpayment on only a 3 year term. It would be worse than the Matthews contract in my opinion.

I feel like I've been told already but I forget so i'll ask again. Don't contracts have higher pay if it's a shorter term deal instead of it being a 8 year deal where the AAV would be lower?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That is also a gross overpayment on only a 3 year term. It would be worse than the Matthews contract in my opinion.

Kucherov 128 points & league MVP .. 8 years @ $9.5 mil (UFA years)
vs
Marner 94 points 3 years @ $9.5 mil (RFA years)

I'm with you as I don't see how those numbers would make any sense for a Marner contract.

Reactions: Brown Dog

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Probably not.

I mean if this rumour was actually true, what it would mean is that this current standoff is now actually between Shanny and Marner, and Dubas is just waiting for them to agree.

Which is silly.

Reactions: ACC1224

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I'll defend Dubas because I think he's a good GM but this is one signing he can't overpay for. Matthews got more than he should but I can defend over paying for a legit elite #1 C over a winger anyday. Let him rot and set a damn number for a contract and say it's not going any higher than this so take it or we can work out a trade and then wait for the right trade to come around. Agent has no leverage or power and for some reason he believes we care if he goes to the Swiss league to make the amount a 4th liner would in the NHL.

Just funny how players won't attend camp because of risk of injury but will go play overseas for not much money and risk injury.

Like Nylander, I'd assume that Marner wouldn't see game-action and would only be going over to Zurich for training sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad