Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVIII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nothing matters when it comes to Marner fans. The team be dammed! Marner fans don't care what other teams are willing to pay, only that Marner deserves what Matthews got. Doesn't matter that no team will give him what Matthews can demand! Give me what Matthews got or I will sit out forever. If the leaf management was smart they would let him do just that, but like Nylander, they will give him whatever he wants...
It's always especially funny when people get outraged about a made up scenario. :laugh:

Reactions: al secord

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Nope or they would have signed him already.
The key is already, let's see when the season starts. There is a precedent here. Am I mistaken, or did they give Nylander an outrageous contract outside of any other comparable contacts?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The key is already, let's see when the season starts. There is a precedent here. Am I mistaken, or did they give Nylander an outrageous contract outside of any other comparable contacts?

I don't think Nylander's conttract is outrageous at all - and you could look at comparables there. marner's camp doesn't care about comparables

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
I don't think Nylander's conttract is outrageous at all - and you could look at comparables there. marner's camp doesn't care about comparables
Yes because a 60 point guy with 21 goals deserves to be paid more than guys like a Gaudreau, Monahan, Mckinnon, Lankskoy, Marchment, Pastrank, Krejci, Schiefele etc, etc, etc,...

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
McDavid is an awful contract based on that logic.
And yet Marner wants his money, or Mr. loyal Maple leaf will sit out, even though no one else will give him what he wants! Fortunately for him, there is one team that will give him what he wants and is counting on leafs stupidity to give it to him...

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Just re-watched Tavares' "all goals" video from last season. Holy bejesus Marner made some awesome dishes on a lot of those 47.
Probably deserves around 9-10 per year on an 8. Might need to do a pricey bridge to keep him. It would be a shame if he sat out a huge year from everyone elses contracts as well.

Absolutely no way he signs for $10mill/8years. But that 9-10 range is definitely what he's worth.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I know it will never happen, but I genuinely think this should be resolved by Shanahan firing Dubas. Then Dubas' horrible mistakes can't be held as leverage over the new gm.

You're right that Dubas has no choice but to dramatically overpay Marner as well. He already set the precedent with Nylander and Matthews.

But based on the precedent set by Dubas... won't Barry and Muzzin demand FAR above market value as well? Then Rielly the season after? Then everybody else?

How does one change the culture of unprecedented dramatic overpayments if not by getting fired/resigning?

He didn't "dramatically" overpay for Matthews. What did you think Matthews was going to sign for?

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
He didn't "dramatically" overpay for Matthews. What did you think Matthews was going to sign for?
Matthews is the only player other then Mcdavid that a team would give up the cap space of 10.5m+ and four-first rounders for. The only thing that Dubas has done right is the signing of Matthews, or he would be matching an offer sheet of 14m+ today.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
What other career high 70 point players sign for.

And before you say it, I don’t consider it a sane argument to say “but Matthews should be paid more money because he gets hurt all of the time”.

Reactions: dsred

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Yes because a 60 point guy with 21 goals deserves to be paid more than guys like a Gaudreau, Monahan, Mckinnon, Lankskoy, Marchment, Pastrank, Krejci, Schiefele etc, etc, etc,...

So many players being paid more that Gretzky these days. It’s downright shameful!!!

Reactions: Blair

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

And before you say it, I don’t consider it a sane argument to say “but Matthews should be paid more money because he gets hurt all of the time”.

Literally no one is suggesting Matthews should be paid more because he’s been injured. The argument is that he shouldn’t be paid less because of it.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

If you continue to be disingenuous, I recommend mods ban you from this topic, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Since the year 2000, this is the list of players that had a higher points per game average than Matthews after their first 3 years.

Crosby
Ovechkin
McDavid
Malkin
Backstrom

That's it, and Ovechkin, Malkin and Backstrom were all older than him, none of them played in the NHL as teenagers (two of them because of the lookout).

So, what i'm telling you is that Matthews has been incredible.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If you continue to be disingenuous, I recommend mods ban you from this topic, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Since the year 2000, this is the list of players that had a higher points per game average than Matthews after their first 3 years.

Crosby
Ovechkin
McDavid
Malkin
Backstrom

That's it, and Ovechkin, Malkin and Backstrom were all older than him, none of them played in the NHL as teenagers (two of them because of the lookout).

So, what i'm telling you is that Matthews has been incredible.

Throw goals in the equation, and the list becomes very short.

I really hope we can see this kid's potential maximized. Because the usage he's gotten has done nothing to help that.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I haven't checked these threads in a while, is there any news?

A friend was involved in Mitch's charity event last week. Said that JT was awesome with the kids while an ex-Leaf did not have time to sign a kid's cast.

Other than that for me it has been crickets :)

;)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Great, offer him a low ball contract. Then lose him after he signs an offer sheet from a GM who isn't stupid

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Literally no one is suggesting Matthews should be paid more because he’s been injured. The argument is that he shouldn’t be paid less because of it.
Agreed. He shouldn’t be paid more or less than a career high 74 point player.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
NOT SURE why that matters? Those contracts were signed before Nylander. Why wouldn't those players payments be a gage to what Nylander is worth?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Leafs1993 and Blair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad