Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVIII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Haha what the **** are you talking about?

Marner is an elite talent and those 2 players aren’t enough for him in my opinion.

What a stupid over reaction from you here
So you believe the rumour enough to discuss it?

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
If this is your actual opinion, you are the joke. Lol Sparks
Don't you see that TO took Clarkson contact and cap hit to get rid of Sparks? Vegas gets all the benefits of the cap hit, and TO has another year of working around a contact no one else wants?!?

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Don't you see that TO took Clarkson contact and cap hit to get rid of Sparks? Vegas gets all the benefits of the cap hit, and TO has another year of working around a contact no one else wants?!?
This actually helps both team's cap situation. In order for the Leafs to utilize the LTIR cap benefits of Horton, they need to be near the cap. If Marner is not signed, they could not do that so this ensures that they have the flexibility they need to negotiate into the season.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
So you believe the rumour enough to discuss it?

Interesting, that isn’t what I was replying to I was replying to a guy who said he would do marner + pick for peace and tt. I said I wouldn’t. not sure why you are melting down over this, questioning credibility etc. If you don’t like that I’d suggest a forum isn’t the place for you.

Sorry for long wait to reply this site has been down for me for hours since last night

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
This actually helps both team's cap situation. In order for the Leafs to utilize the LTIR cap benefits of Horton, they need to be near the cap. If Marner is not signed, they could not do that so this ensures that they have the flexibility they need to negotiate into the season.
This is proof that people believe what they want to believe... I will say once again, the only team that will overpay Marner is the leafs! No other team will pay Marner more then the leafs have already OFFERED...

Reactions: Plub and noway

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
This is proof that people believe what they want to believe... I will say once again, the only team that will overpay Marner is the leafs! No other team will pay Marner more then the leafs have already OFFERED...

Blue Jackets rumoured to have offered more, but Marner doesn't want a 7 year term

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Blue Jackets rumoured to have offered more, but Marner doesn't want a 7 year term
I heard that Columbus offered leafs Jones, Wenenski, and Dubios for Marner; but, Marner refused a 13m over 5 years offer by the CBJ, because he is a loyal leaf and wants to stay with his homeboy team. Marner Stated he wants to be a leaf, but wants to be paid 3m+ more then he is worth becauce is is a devoted leaf.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
how much is that?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I heard that Columbus offered leafs Jones, Wenenski, and Dubios for Marner; but, Marner refused a 13m over 5 years offer by the CBJ, because he is a loyal leaf and wants to stay with his homeboy team. Marner Stated he wants to be a leaf, but wants to be paid 3m+ more then he is worth becauce is is a devoted leaf.

I want to be a Leaf, I don’t want to sign any offer sheets but you still have to give into my whims.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

This is all about cap and LTIR maniuplation. We actually have use for the Clarkson contract. I know on the surface without knowing these details this deal looks really really weird, but the genius is in the details. Both teams got what they needed.

All we've done here is protect ourselves in the event that Marner holds out into the season. Nothing more, nothing less.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
This is all about cap and LTIR maniuplation. We actually have use for the Clarkson contract. I know on the surface without knowing these details this deal looks really really weird, but the genius is in the details. Both teams got what they needed.

All we've done here is protect ourselves in the event that Marner holds out into the season. Nothing more, nothing less.
Yes, let Marner detect the terms! So far the leafs have traded away Marleau his second so called dad, Kadri a real leaf to accommodate his outrageous demands! But no matter lets trade away more assets to cave to his demands. We don't need secondary help, those 11 Ahler's will be enough...

Last edited:
Reactions: Plub

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
yes let Marner detact the terms! So far the leafs have traded away Marleau his second so called dad, Kadri a real leaf to accounted his outrageous demands! But no matter, lets trade away more assets to cave to his demands. We don't need secondary help, those 11 Ahler's will be enough...

Nowhere did I say we should let Marner dictate the terms. It's pretty clear you're just outraged for the sake of being outraged and don't actually want to think about what is being said.

- Leafs traded away Marleau because he doesn't provide anything close to 6.25M of value and needed to sign Kapanen & Johnsson, which they did.
- Leafs traded Kadri to improve their blueline.
- No one is suggesting we trade away more players and we don't need to
- No one at this point can be actually called a casualty of cap for Marner, except maybe Connor Brown & Tyler Ennis lol. Even Zaitsev asked to be traded and Gardiner was a UFA with a bad back

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Nowhere did I say we should let Marner dictate the terms. It's pretty clear you're just outraged for the sake of being outraged and don't actually want to think about what is being said.

- Leafs traded away Marleau because he doesn't provide anything close to 6.25M of value and needed to sign Kapanen & Johnsson, which they did.
- Leafs traded Kadri to improve their blueline.
- No one is suggesting we trade away more players and we don't need to
- No one at this point can be actually called a casualty of cap for Marner, except maybe Connor Brown & Tyler Ennis lol. Even Zaitsev asked to be traded and Gardiner was a UFA with a bad back
I'm outraged because there isn't a team out there willing to give Marner what he demands; yet, he expects the leafs to do so! The team he says is his boyhood team, at the expense of making that team uncompetitive...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You may want to get your hearing checked.

Reactions: dsred

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm outraged because there isn't a team out there willing to give Marner what he demands, yet expects the leafs to do so, the team he says is his boyhood team...

EDIT: seems I misread this post.

Until the Leafs give him is ask it doesn't actually matter. They don't appear to be making moves for the sole purpose of Marner, except now taking Clarkson, which is of no consequence.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015

Until the Leafs give him is ask it doesn't actually matter. They don't appear to be making moves for the sole purpose of Marner, except now taking Clarkson, which is of no consequence.
The only team stupid enough to pay Marner 10.5 is the leafs and destroy their salary structure for the next 6 years. BYE, BYE, RIELLY, bye Bye BARRIE, BYE BYE Muzzi, BYE BYE any chance of signing any decent player for the next 5 years...

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
My only hope with this contract is that they can at least push it to 6 years. Having all 3 of Matthews,Marner and Nylander expire at the same time is a recipe for disaster. My feeling however is Marner won't sign for anything more than 5 years

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015

Nothing matters when it comes to Marner fans. The team be dammed! Marner fans don't care what other teams are willing to pay, only that Marner deserves what Matthews got. Doesn't matter that no team will give him what Matthews can demand! Give me what Matthews got or I will sit out forever. If the leaf management was smart they would let him do just that, but like Nylander, they will give him whatever he wants...

Reactions: Plub

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Nothing matters when it comes to Marner fans. The team be dammed! Marner fans don't care what other teams are willing to pay, only that Marner deserves what Matthews got. Doesn't matter that no team will give him what Matthews can demand! Give me what Matthews got or I will sit out forever. If the leaf management was smart they would let him do just that, but like Nylander, they will give him whatever he wants...

Nope or they would have signed him already.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nope or they would have signed him already.

this. The Clarkson move may also have been the leafs saying "you know the leverage of a deal before the season starts you thought you had?, well now its not an issue for us" i read that somewhere last night and thought ooh that is a good added benefit too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad