Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVIII (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
we haven't been lucky in the mindsets of our core prospects, they have all pushed for the max in their ranges or more than their ranges.

on the flip side, we got good deals on Johnsson and Kapanen. It would be nice if we had a long term steal like Kadri/Rielly to add to that mix

I seriously doubt we get that, I'd settle for being able to fit Marner under the cap without trading anybody else at this point

The media in Toronto has a lot to answer for, there's a reason it's our kids that want to go to the Matt like this

Get told your amazing and the greatest player in history often enough and eventually you start to think you should be treated as such, that's the big 3 to an absolute tee

Has anybody seen numbers like 13M+ for Ratanen being thrown around? That should tell you something

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I seriously doubt we get that, I'd settle for being able to fit Marner under the cap without trading anybody else at this point

The media in Toronto has a lot to answer for, there's a reason it's our kids that want to go to the Matt like this

Get told your amazing and the greatest player in history often enough and eventually you start to think you should be treated as such, that's the big 3 to an absolute tee

Has anybody seen numbers like 13M+ for Ratanen being thrown around? That should tell you something
I did see something about Rantanen asking for the moon, I don't know what the number was though. I'm sure he's trying to hitch his cart to Marner

I don't know if it's media driven though, like the agents seem to be the ones who do the lions share of the negotiating in most cases (Marner seems adamant that his agent is handling it for example), or if we've just had poor luck on prospects who prioritize getting every dollor and/or have chosen agents that take disagreeable approach to try to get more money. I think the players see enough guys that they're playing against who are as good as they are to know they aren't the second coming of Gretzky

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I did see something about Rantanen asking for the moon, I don't know what the number was though. I'm sure he's trying to hitch his cart to Marner

I don't know if it's media driven though, like the agents seem to be the ones who do the lions share of the negotiating in most cases (Marner seems adamant that his agent is handling it for example), or if we've just had poor luck on prospects who prioritize getting every dollor and/or have chosen agents that take disagreeable approach to try to get more money. I think the players see enough guys that they're playing against who are as good as they are to know they aren't the second coming of Gretzky

That was his ask, the media weren't pushing 11M-13M+ like certain sections of the "Toronto" media though

No other RFA'S has been pumped up like ours have been, the offersheet thing was hardly talked about with other RFA'S but it's been constant for at least a year here and numbers with no comparable league wide don't even get push back from the media

It's bloody insane

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
That was his ask, the media weren't pushing 11M-13M+ like certain sections of the "Toronto" media though

No other RFA'S has been pumped up like ours have been, the offersheet thing was hardly talked about with other RFA'S but it's been constant for at least a year here and numbers with no comparable league wide don't even get push back from the media

It's bloody insane
oh I do think the media knows what gets eyes on web pages/twitter accounts/papers/sports channels/etc here, but I think the media is the tail not the dog, sometimes the tail is wagged by the players' agents too which is a symbiotic relationship because it gets eyes to where the media wants them

I think the difference is if a sports program/platform talks about RFA offer sheets in Carolina/Colorado, viewers change the channel. It turns out that the offer sheet threats were more real for Carolina than us, at least to this point

The narrative has taken the form of Marner is worth more because of the intra-team economics, with Matthews being the bar for Marner rather than someone who plays the same position. I think paying more for the same commodity is a quick way to close your compete window for a while, so I doubt that Dubas sees Matthews as a comparable.

I also think that HF loves to hate on the Leafs, so they agree with the intra-team economics angle because it points to the Leafs being in more cap trouble

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wouldn't 1 year leave him potentially without money coming in should a lockout occur?

The deadline to file for a lockout is Sep 15th. Training camp opens on Sep 12th.

Odds are pretty good we'll know before the Sep 15th date if there's going to be a lockout. So signing a one year deal can be safe if it comes in September.

Reactions: ACC1224

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Imo looking at how Twitter exploded over Dreger, essentially forcing him to g quite I think will cause some of the more mainstream guys to tighten up when it comes to these loose rumors.

Sports media has to decide if they're in it as serious journalists or as entertainers. I'm sick of this gray middle ground

Reactions: Kiwi

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I heard that CBJ were willing to trade Jones, Werenski, and Dubois for Marner, but Marner being a loyal leaf turned down CBJ offer of 13m over five years, so he could stay with his boyhood team...
You may want to get your hearing checked.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Stop posting tweets from random twitter accounts looking for attention, stop being so dumb and naive

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
what? we would not need to add to marner to get Pesce and TT. not even for cap space together they will make less than marner will.

honestly theyd add a decent pick if that were the deal

I'd do that deal if it was Marner for TT and Pesce straight up.

You get a downgrade in TT, but he's 1st line material.

And running a defense of

Rielly - Barrie

Muzzin - Pesce

Dermott - Ceci

is very good.

Reactions: 81Leafs50

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
So its official... Marner won't be with the Leafs to start the season and will likely miss games.
Disappointing.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
what? we would not need to add to marner to get Pesce and TT. not even for cap space together they will make less than marner will.

honestly theyd add a decent pick if that were the deal

Really?

Once again you show your consistent standards of evidence.

You have no credibility.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Really?

Once again you show your consistent standards of evidence.

You have no credibility.

Haha what the f*** are you talking about?

Marner is an elite talent and those 2 players aren’t enough for him in my opinion.

What a stupid over reaction from you here

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I heard that CBJ were willing to trade Jones, Werenski, and Dubois for Marner, but Marner being a loyal leaf turned down CBJ offer of 13m over five years, so he could stay with his boyhood team...

The Leafs would be lucky to get Jones alone for Marner. Heck, I don't even know if Columbus makes that deal for Matthews.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
With the Sparks trade, it is evident that TO is by far any sports organization's biggest joke! If they make the playoffs in the next decade it will be the biggest surprise in sports history. Lottery picks for the next decade is assured, except for next year because Carolina has that pick...

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I'd do that deal if it was Marner for TT and Pesce straight up.

You get a downgrade in TT, but he's 1st line material.

And running a defense of

Rielly - Barrie

Muzzin - Pesce

Dermott - Ceci

is very good.

No way, Marner is way better than TT.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
With the Sparks trade, it is evident that TO is by far any sports organization's biggest joke! If they make the playoffs in the next decade it will be the biggest surprise in sports history. Lottery picks for the next decade is assured, except for next year because Carolina has that pick...

If this is your actual opinion, you are the joke. Lol Sparks

Reactions: stopclickbait
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad