Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVI (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I definitely will never understand the motivations of a player to hold out for +/- 10% of his salary to play for a team that he supposedly idolised growing up which is extremely competitive, and since they spend to the cap every year, every cap dollar you yield makes the team better. You're going to end up with $100mm+ career earnings any way you slice it.

I am by no means in the income bracket of these guys, but I'm a pretty highly compensated guy, and I've left money on the table to be in the position and team I want to be on. Consistent with the well-understood economics concept of declining marginal propensity to spend as income scales up, I could also sure use those extra dollars a lot more than Mitch -- or his great-great grandchildren -- could.

It's just bizarre, and difficult to relate to.

I haven't quite done the same thing, because I did it outright in my job search. I could have looked for better paying jobs, and I probably could have landed one relatively easily (I knew people who were as or less qualified who did land those jobs), but I decided to go to a job which was far more interesting, highly rated in caring for their employees, and provided a lot of non-monetary perks that bridged the $10k or so salary gap that existed.

Leafs have the same offerings. Marner is spoiled with what the Leafs, their fans, and the community provide off of the ice for him, and he'll realize real quick it's not like that anywhere else. Sure there is less pressure elsewhere, but that's really the only downside on Toronto.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Right now I don't really care either way, but as time goes on I am leaning towards saying goodbye to Marner.

Take the picks and save the cap space for Hall.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Oh it's 100% an ego thing, make no mistake about it. Marner's gonna have to stomach Matthews making more money than him, no two ways about it.

It's difficult to relate to because none of us on here are pro athletes. Being at the top level develops a hell of an ego.

He's also got a chip on his shoulder because he wasn't as good as McDavid and grew up going against him.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Right now I don't really care either way, but as time goes on I am leaning towards saying goodbye to Marner.

Take the picks and save the cap space for Hall.

Either way, I don't expect the Leafs to be "forced" into anything they either did not fully plan on happening or do not like.

horner

May 22, 2007
I disagree on a small level.

I'd do Werenski + the Jackets 2020 1st round pick unprotected straight up for Marner.

Odds are one of those 4 firsts best case scenario is a werenski + you get the better pick.

Werenski was drafted 8 the overall in 2015.
You won't be getting a top 10 or a top 25 pk.
Think 20 to 31 pk.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Not true at all.
People going on about 'egos' have no clue.

His father comes off as a man who clearly does. We don’t know about Mitch

And his father is actively soliciting and participating in interviews. So his image is his own fault whether it is right or wrong

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His father comes off as a man who clearly does. We don’t know about Mitch

And his father is actively soliciting and participating in interviews. So his image is his own fault whether it is right or wrong
It's not 'right or wrong', it's wrong.

Reactions: bax and Dirty Dog

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
I’m all for trading Marner to Columbus for either Jones or Werenski in a package that makes sense for value

As someone else above said Hall next summer may be a great replacement and you get your young defensive stud for the next decade

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Aho doesn't count now? Where is this being said?

I only know of one poster who insists he's not a comparable because he's a "2nd round pick" for whatever the hell that means.
I haven’t seen a lot of people adjust Marners projected aav based on the Aho contract.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I’m all for trading Marner to Columbus for either Jones or Werenski in a package that makes sense for value

As someone else above said Hall next summer may be a great replacement and you get your young defensive stud for the next decade
Everyone would trade Marner for Jones but guess what Columbus would laugh at Leafs for even offering it up. There is zero chance it happens. People just dreaming on here.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Marner for Dahlin would be similar to the RyJo for Jones trade. Sabres are deep with RHD and get a stud to play with Eichel. Leafs get a franchise dman and cap relief. I doubt Sabres do it though.
I don't think the Sabres would make a Marner for Dahlin, the kid is pretty much untouchable and is going to win a bunch of Norris

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Not true at all.
People going on about 'egos' have no clue.

My issue in all this is it seems that among some fans there is a perception that since MM grew up a fan of the team he should take less to "pay" for the priviledge of playing on home town team.

1) teams bends over backwards for AM 34 giving him unprecedented money on 5 yr term because he might sign offer sheet to go home?
2) Team continually treats MM as significantly less important than AM34

The end result may be loss of hometown boy through trade or offersheet and AM34 walks as a UFA in 5 years.

I always felt the team should have focused on making the hometown guy if not the priority at least equal. This team is heading towards a dressing room with two cliques and that never ends good.

Hawks got it right- they 2 stars were always paid the same.

Reactions: dsred and ACC1224

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
They do, but people here, talking about other people's ego's, based on nothing, or heresay at best, don't have a clue.
There's no heresay here my friend, and it is absolutely 100% not based on nothing.

Marner's agent came out in public and slammed Matthews' contract. These things are rooted somewhere, if there was no ego involved Mitch would have told him to shut his mouth.

There's no need to lie or deny reality.

horner

May 22, 2007
Any trade that is made he has to want to go there and unless he is signed you won't be getting a get return for him.
If Dubas was thinking that he should have traded him last summer.
Look at what Trouba got , not much.
Pionk and a 20 pk ( Ville Heinola )

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
There's no heresay here my friend, and it is absolutely 100% not based on nothing.

Marner's agent came out in public and slammed Matthews' contract. These things are rooted somewhere, if there was no ego involved Mitch would have told him to shut his mouth.

There's no need to lie or deny reality.

So Dan Ferris said Matthews didn't take a hometown discount, and you infer that as Marner having an ego?

I'm not lying or denying anything. You're a crazy person.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Everyone would trade Marner for Jones but guess what Columbus would laugh at Leafs for even offering it up. There is zero chance it happens. People just dreaming on here.
The key in the statement was "Jones or Werenski"....as if they are interchangeable. Fantasy land for sure

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So Dan Ferris said Matthews didn't take a hometown discount, and you infer that as Marner having an ego?

I'm not lying or denying anything. You're a crazy person.
“That’s probably the best contract in the National Hockey League. There’s no team-friendly discount there.”

It is blatantly obvious that this is an underhanded insult. Name me the last time an agent came out and slammed (or even "commented") on a fellow teammate of their client's contract out in public. It never happens. If you can't see the forest for the trees, so be it.

But yeah, no drama here. That's totally why he came out and backpedaled on his statements too. Cause you know, people only backpedal on their statements if they're non-controversial.

Ad hominem me all you like, it's pretty clear what's happened here.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Please Dubas, Trade Marner and be done with this crap.
this entire thing is just ridiculous, enough is enough. trade this greedy little weiner.
IMO he's not even worth 10M
couldnt break 70points first two years and first season with Tavares and he hits 90+ points.
he has not proven he can do this on his own. without Tavares I dont think he even breaks 80 points. 9.5M for atleast 6 years or let the kid sit all season like they should have done with Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad