Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVI (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
LOL.

1) If Matthews is injury prone, that shouldnt be overlooked either

2) You're cherry picking stats to try and make Marner look worse...

If Matthew's is injury prone than Marner has a weak immune system. Though neither of us is a medical doctor so we dont exactly have the authority to claim such a thing

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
If Marner truly wants to be a Leaf, he better sign a contract real soon. Enough of this B.S.

I think Dubas should be soliciting trade offers for him since he and his camp have not shown any commitment and are sitting back waiting for an offer sheet.

I'd love to see how Marner performs without having Tavares inflate his numbers!

Dubas is already entertaining trade possibilities.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If Marner truly wants to be a Leaf, he better sign a contract real soon. Enough of this B.S.

I think Dubas should be soliciting trade offers for him since he and his camp have not shown any commitment and are sitting back waiting for an offer sheet.

I'd love to see how Marner performs without having Tavares inflate his numbers!

Only Aho's signed out other the big RFA'S

I'm more than happy if were listening to offers, it's always good to listen but I'm in favour of just waiting Marner out, if he isn't getting offersheets he's willing to sign his leverage is taking a serious hit so what's he going to do? Just wait

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why would he take 7m on a 3 year deal. Mathews took 11.634 on a deal that walks him to free agency. The average would be around 9 for 3 years

Not even you can believe this.

Marner doesn't deserve the most expensive bridge in NHL history. Bridge deals universally lower aav of the player.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I dream of a ( hockey) world in which teams with outstanding scouts and managers draft and develop lots of of super stars and don't have to worry about a salary cap forcing them to dump some of them.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Because the company he works for deals with multiple NHL players which also includes the players agents, etc etc. Believe it or not but he is very well connected within the NHL

So the company he works for deals with a bunch of NHL players, so no insider is hinting at even the possibility of a trade being worked on, but your friend gave you an E5 on it because he heard from a guy who heard from a guy, do you believe your friend or are you skeptical and just passing info?

This is even forgetting that Werenski is a LD which is arguably our strongest position, trading for him makes no sense. Jones on the other hand would be perfect.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Interesting how little talk there is about sitting out seasons or trading RFAs on the Colorado, Calgary, and Tampa boards. Its almost like we are over reacting a bit:)

Are they not just waiting for the arbitration process to be over?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't remember this amount of anger towards Nylander after he decided to skip camp and almost half the season.

There was a bit of backlash but nothing quite like this, and it's not like Nylander was our leading scorer over the past two seasons or anything...

Nylander, his agent, as well as Matthew's and his all managed to keep their mouths shut. That's why theres a difference.

Ferris went on TSN radio before the season had even ended and publicly trashed the Matthew's deal. It's fairly obvious where these leaks are coming from to anyone not keepinv their head in the sand

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If Matthew's is injury prone than Marner has a weak immune system. Though neither of us is a medical doctor so we dont exactly have the authority to claim such a thing

LOL, what a hot take.

Marner has missed how many games in his career to injury? (Last 6-7 years)

Matthws has missed how many games in his carer to injury? (Last 6-7 years).

Also, I'm not a medical doctor, but I'm close to people in Toronto sports therapy industry and recently met someone well connected with the Leafs organization. A comment I heard this weekend leads me to think that Matthews was hurt for much of this season in addition to the 11 games he missed.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Marner doesn't deserve the most expensive bridge in NHL history. Bridge deals universally lower aav of the player.

That would be a truly terrible contract, I'd be pissed if we signed that abomination

That is what Matthews asked for

Matthews contract is terrible, just like that bridge is terrible so saying that's what Matthews wanted doesn't actually make it acceptable to me unsurprisingly

Reactions: Menzinger

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I dream of a ( hockey) world in which teams with outstanding scouts and managers draft and develop lots of of super stars and don't have to worry about a salary cap forcing them to dump some of them.
The fact that the Leafs, Montreal, Rangers and a few more are not contenders every year is bad for the league, IMO.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander, his agent, as well as Matthew's and his all managed to keep their mouths shut. That's why theres a difference.

Ferris went on TSN radio before the season had even ended and publicly trashed the Matthew's deal. It's fairly obvious where these leaks are coming from to anyone not keepinv their head in the sand
Columbus and Dubas via Sports Memorabilia dealers? :laugh:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
LOL, what a hot take.

Marner has missed how many games in his career to injury? (Last 6-7 years)

Matthws has missed how many games in his carer to injury? (Last 6-7 years).

Also, I'm not a medical doctor, but I'm close to people in Toronto sports therapy industry and recently met someone well connected with the Leafs organization. A comment I heard this weekend leads me to think that Matthews was hurt for much of this season in addition to the 11 games he missed.

I think most fans would be surprised at how injured most players in a team can get over the course of a regular season.

And of course it's a ludicrously hot tske -just like asserting a player is injury prone without any ability to make such a claim.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
yeah 2:35 of PP time a game just ain't ****ing enough for the talents we have on this team.

I really don't get why we pay all of our talents as 100+ point scorers yet limit their PP time and split it with Marleau, Hyman, Kapanen, etc...

If we're gonna cut their PP time could we atleast ****ing up their ES time? Marner is still 35th among forwards in ES TOI despite getting his PP time getting artificially cut short.
Babcock never does anything wrong. SORRY.:sarcasm:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That would be a truly terrible contract, I'd be pissed if we signed that abomination

Matthews contract is terrible, just like that bridge is terrible so saying that's what Matthews wanted doesn't actually make it acceptable to me unsurprisingly

Imo the only reason to give Marner 3x9 is to avoidnan incoming offersheet and then potentially trade him later on since hes still a rfa. Not the situation I'd like to see

Reactions: Kiwi

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Marner going last was another GM mistake to allow it.

Had Dubas began with Willy and gotten him signed first, then Marner who put up similar #'s in the 60's to Nylander the past 2 seasons would have worked from Nylander on up, going 2nd where $8.5 on term would have likely gotten Marner done last summer. The Draisaitl deal was often floated last summer as comparable Mitch was seeking. That would have been the middle ground between the rumoured $9 mil X 8 original offer to Dubas and the $7.5 mil X 8 counter offer.

So by letting Marner go last, while letting him rack up the points this past year playing with JT, has positioned himself poorly because of Marner's season. Then signing Matthews 2nd to that vast overpayment on rate $ per term, he has now set up a situation for himself having Marner working from Matthews down.

Pretty easy call if you have to pick the position you want to be in as GM of dealing with Marner on a Nylander UP% or Matthews DOWN%.

Dubas has the worst circumstances now, while Marner plans to benefit financially due to Dubas' past charities in previous contracts and allowing him to go last .

His plan to sign the cheapest one first wasn't a bad idea if it had succeeded. With Willie out of the way in July for a solid number I think he could have got the other two to the table earlier and avoided the inflation caused by Gross dunking on him and Mitch having the explosive season he did. But once the season started he really should have traded Nylander, not bulled through on "we can and we will", and just moved on to the next deal asap. That one innocent mistake kind of cascaded into the current situation, and Willie licking the bag on his return put salt on it. I think he may have done better on the Matthews deal if he had not been put through the ringer by team Nylander because that had to have worn him. down, and obviously the others smelled blood after the signing. I see his one real mistake being not trading Willie and the rest just fallout. He will get something done with Mitch and the worst case is probably another 6-8 hundred k overpay. Not the end of the world until Barrie's turn comes to ragdoll him.

Reactions: dsred

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think most fans would be surprised at how injured most players in a team can get over the course of a regular season.

And of course it's a ludicrously hot tske -just like asserting a player is injury prone without any ability to make such a claim.

No doubt, but the comment I heard ("I'd like to see what he can do when he's healthy" from someone employed by the Leafs) made it sounds like Matthews was banged up more than the average NHL player.

6+ injuries vs one bought of Mono... Okay :rolleyes: If nothing else, people should be at least concerned that Matthews injury proneness will continue...

Reactions: dsred

horner

May 22, 2007
I’d say Tavares has a history of boosting players with huge deviation from their norm. From that lens Marner would just be another statistic, accurate or not.

Kappy is licking his chops.
Taveras is going to put 90 pts on a silver plater for you.

Marners your Cinderella season is over.

Maybe that is why GM's are so confused about giving up anything for Marners because they don't believe in his talent.

Wow

Such a leaf fan

2017-2018
First 29 gp 16 pts over 82 gp 45 pts
Last 53 gp 53 pts over 82 gp 82 pts
Playoffs
7 gp 9 pts

I know you are going to say it must be because he played with the grt Bozak and HOF JVR.

Or probably the actual stats lie.

The real hockey fans have seen the growth in this player and only see him getting better .

Remember he was a 21 yr old
94 pts isn't to bad

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
No doubt, but the comment I heard ("I'd like to see what he can do when he's healthy" from someone employed by the Leafs) made it sounds like Matthews was banged up more than the average NHL player.

6+ injuries vs one bought of Mono... Okay :rolleyes: If nothing else, people should be at least concerned that Matthews injury proneness will continue...
Very concerned

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I believe that it will be at least 9 on a 3 year deal. Things are changing. Mathews signed for 11.634 for 5 years. So 2.634 per less on a 3 year deal.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Imo the only reason to give Marner 3x9 is to avoidnan incoming offersheet and then potentially trade him later on since hes still a rfa. Not the situation I'd like to see

I like our current position, he's obviously either unwilling to sign an offersheet or he's not getting one acceptable to him

His leverage is low so we should be using thst against him, no bridge that gets him a year from UFA or massive 5 year deal, 2 years at something fair like 6.5M-7M or 6+ years at around 10M

I'd see anything else as a loss at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad