Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
10 mil per x 8 years was the reported offer from Brian Burkes sources
Yes it was the offer which is low. Considering Panarin just signed for 11.6 and Stone got 9.5 and he is vastly better and Mathews got 11.6 for 5 years. That is the issue. The Leafs paid Mathews his 8 year value for 5 years he was asking to be paid 1.5m per more then McDavid on the same term. And people are calling Mitch greedy so laughable.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Just like Timmy’s doesn’t use Crosby and Mackinnon?

Can you really not see the difference between those two and a guy that would have just turned his back on, and almost completely alienated, the largest market in the country?

He would be toxic to major Canadian advertisers.

Reactions: biotk

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
No one has the obligation to do anything, including Marner. Paying Marner equal to Matthews with his production numbers isn’t really overpaying. It’s just logic..

I can't wait to see how poorly Marner produces when he is playing on another team and is expected to produce on his own instead of playing with someone like Tavares.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He and those around him probably think that playing in a US market will increase their sponsorship opportunities. Never mind the far lower popularity of the sport in most US markets and Marner's awkward, cringe-worthy manner in front of the camera. There is some serious self-delusion and lack of self-awareness at work in the minds of some people in these negotiations...

Yep...this is the Toronto Maple Leafs, one of the biggest, if not the biggest hockey market in North America...he definitely gets alot more money playing for the Leafs than in the US where hockey is not the #1 sport.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Sorry if you’ve explained this already, but I’d like to understand why you believe 10.5 x 5 is a ‘Fair’ offer for Mitch? To clarify, I’m not being condescending, I’m genuinely curious. Although I can see the leafs ultimately giving into a deal like that (maybe), I definitely don’t believe it to be fair. It’s an Overpayment in my books. I don’t see him as being worth 2 mil more then Aho or only 1 mil less then Matthews. He should be at most 9.5 x 5 in my opinion
So do you think mathews is worth over 2m more per year? That is crazy. Aho signed a stupid offer sheet knowing it was going to get matched.

10.5 is what the contract is going to be and maybe he signs for 6 years and it will be a discount.

Reactions: rubous

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes it was the offer which is low. Considering Panarin just signed for 11.6 and Stone got 9.5 and he is vastly better and Mathews got 11.6 for 5 years. That is the issue. The Leafs paid Mathews his 8 year value for 5 years he was asking to be paid 1.5m per more then McDavid on the same term. And people are calling Mitch greedy so laughable.
I agree. I think they overpaid Matthews as well. At the time, a lot of fans were upset.

Now, it seems, it is Matthews fans turn to beef - and they are!

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
I can't wait to see how poorly Marner produces when he is playing on another team and is expected to produce on his own instead of playing with someone like Tavares.
Marner got 61pts in 77 games at 19 years old without Tavares in his rookie season. He’ll be fine.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Can you really not see the difference between those two and a guy that would have just turned his back on, and almost completely alienated, the largest market in the country?

Maybe Marner doesn’t care about that though? Maybe he just wants to be paid a fair contract dollar,
Ike what JT and AM get?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So do you think mathews is worth over 2m more per year? That is crazy. Aho signed a stupid offer sheet knowing it was going to get matched.

10.5 is what the contract is going to be and maybe he signs for 6 years and it will be a discount.
Agree, 100%.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Like he did with Kadri and Marleau is my guess. 90 point plus. You act like he suddenly did this as a result of Tarvares a player who he out produced by the way.

Reactions: rubous and Braun

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Not if he goes to a Canadian market.

I can see why he would want out of Toronto and I think he’s trying to facilitate a trade.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Except that it is clearly in line with Leafs' management.
That doesn't make it right.

The Leafs are having trouble with the Cap because the overpaid Matthews and Nylander. If they had played hardball with both, they might have some extra cash instead of losing Marner.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

You realize Panarin and Stone are UFA'S not RFA'S right? I'd also like to point out Stone is possibly the best 2way winger in the game currently

He's also not an elite goal scoring franchise level center either like Matthews who's is I'd agree wildly overpaid

This argument is comparables who aren't actually comparables and an argument that because we were ******* idiots and massively overpaid once we should do it again, surprisingly enough I'm not entirely convinced by this 'logic'

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Heard that the Marner camp will only go five years on an offer sheet, but the offering team (if there is one) has to go seven.

They don’t have to go 7.
But, when I heard the reporting this morning I thought about his request for 5 years and the offer was 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad