Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Maybe he's fairly paid in year 3. Slightly underpaid in year 4 and underpaid in year 5.

I hope we can all say he earned his 58M by June 2024 is all I'm hoping for.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Maybe he's fairly paid in year 3. Slightly underpaid in year 4 and underpaid in year 5.

I hope we can all say he earned his 58M by June 2024 is all I'm hoping for.
I just worry he will get hurt and never be the same - either because he can't do "it" anymore, or he gets too scared to compete.

For that reason, I was pleased with a 5 years term.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I just worry he will get hurt and never be the same - either because he can't do "it" anymore, or he gets too scared to compete.

For that reason, I was very pleased with the 5 years term.

Bergeron and Crosby had injury concerns at the start of their careers. It happens. He's filling out he has been a kid in a man's body. He'll be ok. Wait until he has man strength and he's in his prime.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bergeron and Crosby had injury concerns at the start of their careers. It happens. He's filling out he has been a kid in a man's body. He'll be ok. Wait until he has man strength and he's in his prime.
Hope you're right. :)

Reactions: Marshy

mikemar1

Apr 24, 2012
What would happen if the Leafs didn't offer Marner a contract going forward out of spite and wanted him to sit out the year. What would Marner's options be? Not saying they would do this but just curious

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Maybe Marner doesn’t care about that though? Maybe he just wants to be paid a fair contract dollar,
Ike what JT and AM get?

Perhaps. Not everyone like making easy money endorsing products.

Shame he doesn't just want to be paid a fair contract dollar like Kucherov or one of the other top wingers in the game.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I know who the leaders on this team are now if I didn't before.

Morgan and JT. I still love the idea of co-captains. These guys get it. Play for the crest on the front.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I did NOT take you question the wrong way.... :)

2 reasons why I thought Marner would/should get $10.5M...

1) I believe Marner is Matthews equal, minus the fact that he is not a center and not a goal scorer. In fact, minus those two "Matthews pluses", Marner has been better than Matthews for the last 1.5 seasons.

Because of those two "deficiencies", I deducted $1.165M from Matthews salary and came up with $10.5M per year.

2) I figured Marner would ask for what Matthews got = $11.65.
I figured the Leafs would offer $9.5M
I figured the two would meet in the middle = $10.5M.

I see ok, thanks for the explanation and civility, I just wanted to be clear as emotions in this place at times run very high, can’t even have a back and forth debate without people losing their minds, so was merely clarifying

So do you think mathews is worth over 2m more per year? That is crazy. Aho signed a stupid offer sheet knowing it was going to get matched.

10.5 is what the contract is going to be and maybe he signs for 6 years and it will be a discount.

I think Matthews is overpaid as well, but that’s a different story. He should have gotten 11.6 for 8 years, 5 is brutal. That said, I do think being a Center and having the incredible ability to score that Matthews has, comes at a premium and that is atleast 1.5 mil more then any winger not named Kucherov

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What would happen if the Leafs didn't offer Marner a contract going forward out of spite and wanted him to sit out the year. What would Marner's options be? Not saying they would do this but just curious

Sign an offersheet or play in Europe, those are his options basically

Reactions: Big Shot

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Russia. And Ferris has a habit of threatening teams that his clients will play in Europe - so don't be surprised to hear that threat soon when no offer sheet comes.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I see ok, thanks for the explanation and civility, I just wanted to be clear as emotions in this place at times run very high, can’t even have a back and forth debate without people losing their minds, so was merely clarifying
No worries.

I agree, it can be nasty in here. I just try to take everything in good humour and ignore the insults. :)

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I can't wait to see how poorly Marner produces when he is playing on another team and is expected to produce on his own instead of playing with someone like Tavares.
I cant wait for you to explain how Marner was an over 90 point player in 82 games as of December 1.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Russia. And Ferris has a habit of threatening teams that his clients will play in Europe - so don't be surprised to hear that threat soon when no offer sheet comes.

His other clients could make close to their NHL salary in Russia. No one over there is paying him $9 million.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Bull****

If you can't tell the difference between an RFA who's major negotiating ploy for leverage is an offersheet (which is almost impossible to get and you have to be willing to sign it) and a UFA who can negotiate with litteraly everybody with zero restrictions I don't know what to tell you

He can certainly fight for Matthews money and he may potentially get it, he just needs to be willing to sign the offersheet that will garentee it for him and if he does I hope like hell we don't match

Let him go get his internal comparable (which isn't a comparable) somewhere else and they can deal with this lunacy

I heard WN agent say he doesn’t look other teams for player comparable when negotiating RFA contracts. He looks at the current teams salary structure.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Stop being logical. Matthews is better because.....just because.
I agree. We do get a LOT of that.

Or stat splitting. Stats can be split in a billion ways and you can always crunch numbers to support an argument - that is why I don't waste my time doing it.

I think Marner is terrific - he is my favourite Leaf. I hope he stays one and realizes taking an offer sheet for a little extra money, will not be worth leaving everything he has.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Ok.thanks..was just wondering if a player had any recourse if a team wasn't acting in good faith

Teams can be tough on RFA'S but they are in a position of power so that's just the way it goes, players get there own back later in there careers though

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Dear Mitch :

Use the O.S.('s) to convince the Leafs to come in at $10.5M (plus or minus $500K) and spend your life living the dream at HOME.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I agree. We do get a LOT of that.

Or stat splitting. Stats can be split in a billion ways and you can always crunch numbers to support an argument - that is why I don't waste my time doing it.

I think Marner is terrific - he is my favourite Leaf. I hope he stays one and realizes taking an offer sheet for a little extra money, will not be worth leaving everything he has.

He's not leaving. It's why the OS threat was just a bluff that failed. He loves it here.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Position and elite goal scoring not good enough "logic" for you?
Position is a bs argument and goals over primary points is a consideration only dummies obsess about. Ive posted correlation coefficient differences which i am sure you have read yet you keep cycling around the same tiring and ill informed argument. Stop messaging me unless you have something new to say.

Reactions: MyBudJT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad