Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Less than 2 weeks to camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That would be one ugly ass contract

I'd rather sit the player indefinitely than sign something that unprecedented, the fact were even discussing this number seriously is a bad sign for what an eventual contract may look like

Somebody offersheet him and save us from ourselves :laugh:

Seriously.

I would literally rather not having Mitch Marner signed this season vs signing him to a historically bad contract.

Reactions: TorontoMapleLindros

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I can assure you I am the farthest thing from a "Marner hater"
You just have reasoning skills like all but a few from Marner's entourage on on here who keep posting in here to try to defend an indefensible position.

Reactions: supermann_98

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Except it is... and what do you think the right amount for 8 years on Marner?

People will defend anything. Are they Leaf fans or Marner fans? No Leaf fan should be defending that deal. Not only is it firebale from Dubas' angle, but shows Marner is trying to bend over the team he supposedly loves. It's a bad look on both sides.

What is 9.5 x 3, likely all in signing bonus, worth over 8 years? Well, 14.5M AAV ish.

Insanity.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Matthews was willing to negotiate during the season Dregs

What's funny is I just read an article from a few hours ago where Dubas shut this down. Dreger is a clown..

LeBrun: Why term appears to be the major stumbling block in...

Relevant part

One narrative that has taken hold over the past year that I think Dubas would like to squash is this notion that while Marner might have wanted to sign a year ago, that the Leafs weren’t interested because they wanted to get Nylander signed first.

Not the case, Dubas clarified.

“If we would have had the opportunity to sign Mitch or Auston or William early on to a deal that we thought would fit within the framework of what we were doing or they were willing to sign, for us there was no trying to delay it, there was no trying to push it down the road,” Dubas said. “Going through all this, actually the first person once I took the job that I met with regarding any contract at all was Darren (Ferris), at the combine.

“I know that’s been floated out there and said (Leafs not willing to sign Marner a year ago), but from our end of it, we don’t look back and regret anything at all because we’ve just handled the situation as it’s come.’’
So how does this end?

Reactions: kb

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I'm not very impressed that all of our young star players seem to be money first, team second kind of guys, many here will argue that this is the norm but I don't see it like that. Its getting harder and harder to be attached to players in this league when they blatantly care more about a few million more $$ than a shot at becoming a god and winning a cup. Because Mitch Marner's life will be so much different with 12 million in his pocket every year vs 9 million.

These are the kind of athletes we want our children to look up to? time to tell the kids their favourite players don't give a crap about them or their support as fans. BARF.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not very impressed that all of our young star players seem to be money first, team second kind of guys, many here will argue that this is the norm but I don't see it like that. Its getting harder and harder to be attached to players in this league when they blatantly care more about a few million more $$ than a shot at becoming a god and winning a cup. Because Mitch Marner's life will be so much different with 12 million in his pocket every year vs 9 million.

These are the kind of athletes we want our children to look up to? time to tell the kids they don't give a crap about them or their joy as fans. BARF.

I get where you're coming from but like it or not, it is what it is (a business).

Reactions: kb

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I get where you're coming from but like it or not, it is what it is (a business).

It's a business and the players are depreciating assets.

That's why you want the team to do well, unless they're the Whalers or Atlanta Flames the team is going to be there.

Players are temps.

So did Dubas suggest they'd also use Hyman's LTIR to sign marner? So they're covered up to about 13 million at least until middle of November?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If we're splitting hairs, 9.5m might be 7 year money while 10.5M is 8 year money but 9.5m sure a **** isn't 3 year money. Try 7M-7.25M

@dsred - What is your $10.5 based on? Comparables? Math?

I've seen two different mathematically derived conclusions on Marner, for eight year money. They took previous contracts, and back calculated them, to come up with formulas to predict where this years RFA's and UFA's would end up signing for. One ended up at $9.1 and the other at $9.6.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I just don’t think Dubas would paint the Leafs into a corner without something in place.

Dubas clearly goofed up. He has made many mistakes. A huge one if We do not resign Tyson. Giving up Kadri for one year of Tyson is a very steep price. Same as giving up a first to get rid of Marleau.

Marner could have been signed last summer for 8 years for less money that he is going to get for 5 or six years. Dubas was offering what Nylander is signed for and Marner countered with 9m per. A 8.5 per x 8 years is what I suggested last summer.

Bobby Mac grilled Dubas about how Marner may be looking at Matthews' contract as internal comparable and Dubas started with: Let me start with Auston's contract and then completely side-stepped the question of 11.6 AAV. Dubas knows he effed up and overpaid matthews on a 5 year deal. He could not justify it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad