Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Less than 2 weeks to camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I agree with this...Also I get the impression Marner wants to stay 'home' in Toronto (which favors the Leafs)...Only issue is Dubas is likely gonna have to pay him more than what he probably deserves at this stage of his career (see Matthews open checkbook contract this past February)...I'll stand by my comment earlier that he'll get $10,5 per season (or possibly more)...I'll be shocked if it's anything less.

I still think they have already negotiated the framework for a deal and it’ll be in the 9.5- 10.5 range.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Mitch wants to play for Leafs. Mitch wants as much as he can get. He will exhaust every avenue to get what he wants. At this point in time he already knows what is available to him in an OS. Clearly he did not get enough from another team to make it worth his while to sign one. That is how markets work. So why not wait until camp starts to get much closer to what he wants. At some point he will not want to lose a pay check and he will sign for most he can get. maybe there is another increase from Dubie/Shanny so why not wait for it. I would guess from Dubie stand point no point in doing that now because Mitch will say thanks I will consider it and then wait some more time before pay checks start. So it is a total stalemate until camp starts.
I figure he'll get his contract done within 2 days of the LTIR $$$ becomes available for Dubas to use.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Exactly...if he won’t sign the Leafs can’t trade him....he holds the cards
The only cards he holds are whether to play for a number the Leafs offer him, sign with another team either via an OS (not coming) or a S&T, play in Europe ... Or he can retire 3 years into his NHL career.

If he wants to play hockey he has to get off his stance on being an 11m/year player. No team in the league will pay him those demands as the FA period has already shown

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Maybe the Leafs sign Marner before the season and this is all moot, but we don’t seem to be heading that way and Marner’s agent has a history of overseeing client holdouts. Let’s not lose sight of the forest for the trees here: When the Leafs should be in the middle of preparing for deep Cup runs, they are being held back by contract holdouts when their time should really be focused on making the final tweaks to this roster. Frustration is clearly growing within the organization – to the point where they’d rather have this end sooner than later, one way or another.

You could argue the team might be better served to trade Marner to find that missing piece on the backend while possibly adding another depth forward piece in a package trade. A trade seems unlikely and difficult, though, unless some team is dying to overpay Marner at over $11 million per year (and make no mistake, that is an overpay; he’s not the best winger in the league and should not be paid as if he is or will be one day). And that leads us to the current holdout scenario.
Toronto Maple Leafs Notebook: A Big-Picture Look at the Mitch Marner situation and other thoughts ahead of the 2019-20 season | Maple Leafs Hotstove

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I just don’t think Dubas would paint the Leafs into a corner without something in place.

I'm sure Dubas has several things in place.

Not every team is expecting to win the Cup, so for some teams waiting a year to get marner under contract probably isn't a big deal.
While he isn't worth the 4 * 1st. offersheet, teams could easily deal known commodities for him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This isnt logical. I would suggest you think a logical number through instead of trying to argue something as absurd as 15mm. A dispassionate view would not get us a number higher than Matthews. You are just trying to snuff out any culpability of Dubas instead of having an honest discussion. Emotions do this. Ceding a point that Dubas miscalculated is not the end of the world when it is so obvious that he likely did. A better point is that he isnt the first nor the last. Adding Willy , Sparks and AM to the mix of that mistake is what buries him a bit.
Dubas clearly goofed up. He has made many mistakes. A huge one if We do not resign Tyson. Giving up Kadri for one year of Tyson is a very steep price. Same as giving up a first to get rid of Marleau.

Marner could have been signed last summer for 8 years for less money that he is going to get for 5 or six years. Dubas was offering what Nylander is signed for and Marner countered with 9m per. A 8.5 per x 8 years is what I suggested last summer.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The only cards he holds are whether to play for a number the Leafs offer him, sign with another team either via an OS (not coming) or a S&T, play in Europe ... Or he can retire 3 years into his NHL career.

If he wants to play hockey he has to get off his stance on being an 11m/year player. No team in the league will pay him those demands as the FA period has already shown

What $11 million stance?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He was voted better in the Calder.

I'm not saying who is better today, they have such different jobs and responsibilities.
so What that makes he better now. The gap between them is huge. One is going backwards the other is becoming a legit top 10 player in the league.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Really wish Dubas took the “Its not our preference to go down that route, but some light discussions have happened and we are prepared to go down that road if necessary” route instead of saying a flat out no. Put some fear out there Kyle. #16 doesn’t want to leave Toronto. Everyone knows it

Reactions: supermann_98

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

The teams would be lining up to pay him that and more if he was a free agent. His value is plus 11 million.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Really wish Dubas took the “Its not our preference to go down that route, but some light discussions have happened and we are prepared to go down that road if necessary” route instead of saying a flat out no. Put some fear out there Kyle. #16 doesn’t want to leave Toronto. Everyone knows it

I agree with you, but that's not Dubas' style, and it's unlikely to change.

Hopefully, there will be some good will reciprocated from the Marner camp at some point.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dubas clearly goofed up. He has made many mistakes. A huge one if We do not resign Tyson. Giving up Kadri for one year of Tyson is a very steep price. Same as giving up a first to get rid of Marleau.

Marner could have been signed last summer for 8 years for less money that he is going to get for 5 or six years. Dubas was offering what Nylander is signed for and Marner countered with 9m per. A 8.5 per x 8 years is what I suggested last summer.

Come on now, let's not get carried away here. We got another player in that deal as well.

Reactions: supermann_98 and kb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I apologize is this has been posted previously, but NHL20 has come out with their player rankings.

Clearly this is definitive ranking on what a player is worth, so Marner should just accept that he isn't worth Matthews, and play hockey. [sarcasm]

EDfm7gXVAAAxD-8

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Pretty sure Dubas did say something like that before. I think it's a good sign if he doesn't feel a need to intimidate Marner's camp at this stage

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I apologize is this has been posted previously, but NHL20 has come out with their player rankings.

Clearly this is definitive ranking on what a player is worth, so Marner should just accept that he isn't worth Matthews, and play hockey. [sarcasm]

EDfm7gXVAAAxD-8
Oh......Paul gonna explode!

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
why would the leafs agree to 8 8 12 ... thats so stupid.
basically in 3 years you forcing him to get over 12mil in salary even if he reverts back to an 70 to 80 point player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad