Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Less than 2 weeks to camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If he signs for 3x9.5 I'm gonna need to take a couple laps before I'd be ready to watch this team. There is no world where that makes sense or has a basis in logic.
and it sounds like that's only on the table, so the real deal could end up being worse. Good thing it's only speculation

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
and it sounds like that's only on the table, so the real deal could end up being worse. Good thing it's only speculation

In theory, we don't know which side of the table it's from.

If it's on the table from us, and the Marner camp isn't taking it, that means the expect double digits on a 3 year deal (lmao)

If it's on the table from them, and Dubas hasn't taken it yet, that means he's staying firm in the you either get short term OR the AAV you want, not both. (at least firm for now lol)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
In theory, we don't know which side of the table it's from.

If it's on the table from us, and the Marner camp isn't taking it, that means the expect double digits on a 3 year deal (lmao)

If it's on the table from them, and Dubas hasn't taken it yet, that means he's staying firm in the you either get short term OR the AAV you want, not both. (at least firm for now lol)
yes true. I am not very convinced by media speculation, but in this case I can see a similar figure on a 3 year deal. Especially if Dubas is really being pressured to keep him at any cost

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
3 x $9.5 million? If that isnt sufficient for Marner then I am not sure if i see a future with the leafs for him. imo that is over and beyond reasonable.

Reactions: supermann_98

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Really wish Dubas took the “Its not our preference to go down that route, but some light discussions have happened and we are prepared to go down that road if necessary” route instead of saying a flat out no. Put some fear out there Kyle. #16 doesn’t want to leave Toronto. Everyone knows it

Dubas is all about his relationship with the players. That's how he has decided to manage. We will see if that pays off, but in theory it should generate some loyalty to wanting to play for him, knowing he will always treat you with respect.

I think he is counting on keeping on Marner's good side, as he feels Marner will force a deal when games are getting closer.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
IMO if Dubas gives Marner that contract, as good as his other moves have been, he should be fired. And if Shanny approves that, he should be fired too.

Unjustifiable. You can't pay guys their 8 year rate on short term deals. In 3 years, Marner will ask for 15M for 3 or 4 more years. And then get 1 more big deal when he is 30.

9.5 for anything less than 6 years is fireable.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
so What that makes he better now. The gap between them is huge. One is going backwards the other is becoming a legit top 10 player in the league.
Assuming you're referencing Matthews here, what gives you any indication that his game is going backwards? His points per game totals have increased every single season in the NHL. He did this all while dragging multiple wingers along with him. Remember Matthews didn't get to play with an elite player of Tavares ability. Not saying the gap between Matthews/Marner is huge, but saying Matthews is regressing is straight up wrong.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't see how we can watch Sebastian Aho get 8.5M x 5 years, and then give Mitch Marner 1M more on the AAV for 2 less seasons.

I mean, their respective PPG's over the last two seasons are very close, & Aho scores more goals, on a less offensive powered team, and Aho is Carolina's best player, and their top line center.

9.5M x 3 years is hard to even consider defending.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Really wish Dubas took the “Its not our preference to go down that route, but some light discussions have happened and we are prepared to go down that road if necessary” route instead of saying a flat out no. Put some fear out there Kyle. #16 doesn’t want to leave Toronto. Everyone knows it

Marner haters butt hurt to the max :laugh:

P.S. Rielly for captain

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
IMO if Dubas gives Marner that contract, as good as his other moves have been, he should be fired. And if Shanny approves that, he should be fired too.

Unjustifiable. You can't pay guys their 8 year rate on short term deals. In 3 years, Marner will ask for 15M for 3 or 4 more years. And then get 1 more big deal when he is 30.

9.5 for anything less than 6 years is fireable.
This is what happens when the team gladly gives a guy (Matthews) more, or less what he wanted (even more than what veteran Tavares got via UFA), and then teammate Marner (who's just as popular - if not more so since he's a a local kid) has produced more these past 2 seasons (granted due largely to Matthews shoulder injuries).

I'm sure rival GMs have a dartboard in their office with Dubas' picture on it.

Don't get me wrong - I like Dubas, and he's a stand up guy for taking the heat this past spring (while Babcock shrugged it off), but his style of management - being 'friendly' with the players - may just bite him in the a$$...

Reactions: dsred

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't see how we can watch Sebastian Aho get 8.5M x 5 years, and then give Mitch Marner 1M more on the AAV for 2 less seasons.

I mean, their respective PPG's over the last two seasons are very close, & Aho scores more goals, on a less offensive powered team, and Aho is Carolina's best player, and their top line center.

9.5M x 3 years is hard to even consider defending.

It's fireable, like historically awful if it happened.

C > Wing
Statistically comparable.

The only argument for the money is "Because Marner wants 9.5M x3 years" which is dumb, that is arguably 7 year money for 3 years.

Reactions: supermann_98

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

What is the latest on Mitch Marner and the negotiations? That’s all Leafs fans want to know.

“Yeah, we’ve continued to have dialogue with [Marner’s agent] Darren [Ferris] as recently as last week. I think I would feel a little more anxious or perhaps look back and wonder whether we should have done anything different, but I think everybody in the league with these types of restricted free agents are in the exact same spot. The guys who are mentioned all the time, but even if you peel it back a level below and even the guys who aren’t mentioned all the time, they aren’t signed either."

"There really hasn’t been a lot of movement in that market since July 1 when [Timo] Meier signed and when [Sebastian] Aho came off the board, so I don’t know how it will play out here. I would expect – in looking at it and looking at the history of these things – that some of it will start to shake loose and we’re certainly hopeful and we’ll continue to work towards having [Marner] be one of those players that signs in the coming week here.”

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
People still getting triggered by what Dreger's "hearing?"

Normally I agree, but remember last year when we all laughed off the Matthews rumored deal of 5 years at over 11? And then it happened, the forum raged for a day, and then people started defending it.

I am sure people will defend 9.5 x 3. Hell, if that was offered and not taken, who's to say it won't go to 10 x 3?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Normally I agree, but remember last year when we all laughed off the Matthews rumored deal of 5 years at over 11? And then it happened, the forum raged for a day, and then people started defending it.

I am sure people will defend 9.5 x 3. Hell, if that was offered and not taken, who's to say it won't go to 10 x 3?
If I were a betting man...I'd say it'll end up sumthin like $10.5 to $11 million for 5 seasons.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am not getting carried away. The main piece is a free agent after this year. Not great value in my mind.

Figure of speech. Completely ignoring one of the players we got in the trade could be construed as getting carried away. We'll see what this guy is all about but he's probably worth a lot more than a bag of pucks. And Kadri's value has plummeted as well so ... overall, seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Reactions: Lauro and kb

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Put me in the "Fire Dubas" boat if 9.5 x3 years happens, holy ****.

Kid is in over his head.

That would be one ugly ass contract

I'd rather sit the player indefinitely than sign something that unprecedented, the fact were even discussing this number seriously is a bad sign for what an eventual contract may look like

Somebody offersheet him and save us from ourselves :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad